News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what do these plugs say

Started by Canadian1968, July 03, 2017, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I have fresh built iron head 440. Motor has approx 250 -300km on it (odometer not working ) . I feel like the motor is running decent . Starts easy, idle 900 in gear , around 14" vaccum,  throttle response seems good, 18 base timing .Have made around 6 full throttle pulls at various speeds approx.  3 secs. I pulled a couple plugs to see what they look like and here is what I found . I have been doing some reading really don't know what I am looking at. I am going to be getting a wideband o2 to assist in further tuning.

what arelief some thoughts.

Canadian1968

440 - bored .030
Stock 906 Heads totally rebuilt with 3 angle valve job (75 throat cut) , back cut valves, bowl blend - clean up, intake gasket matched, stock rockers
Stock LY rods resized with ARP bolts
Stock crank cleaned up .010 .010
ICON 9953 Pistons
Engine assembly balanced
Stock replacement Oil Pump
Comp cams XE274 with kit ( Lifters, 3 piece timing set, 911-16 springs )
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake - gasket matched
Holley 750 vac Sec.  (3310s)
Headman 1 3/4 ceramic coated headers
2 1/2" with X pipe - Dynomax ultra Flows
Mopar Electronic ignition - orange box
Fire Core 8.5 mm Wire and NGK plugs
Timing set 18 deg. Base

c00nhunterjoe

Plugs are all different. Heat range on the straps are all different, oil on several, the one looks like detonation with the specs on it. What is the total timing at? Are you running pcv, what valve covers? Baffled? Verified not leaking intake sucking oil.

Canadian1968

mopar performance valve covers. Pulled pvc hose off back of carb. swiped inside with paper towel, nice and clean. breather on other side is nice and clean . I will double check my total timing when in get home

Canadian1968

pic

Canadian1968

just did a quick check total timing looks about 34 . I was by myself son can't tell ya the rpm.  checked vacuum as well , steady between 14- 15 @ 1000 rpm.

the difference in plugs is more like a maifold leak possibly ? if it was timing or carb they should be even ?

c00nhunterjoe

Possibly. 4 nuts and the carb lifts off, have a look down each runner, use a scope camera to get a look at the back of the intake valves to check guide leaks.

69wannabe

They don't look awful really, with the small amount of miles you have on it I would run it some more until the engine break's in good and check them after you put some more miles on it. 34 total timing should be good with a cast iron head and it shouldn't be detonating there I wouldn't think. I run my timing at 18 initial and 34 total with no pinging but you never can tell. Just listen for spark knock at full throttle and see if you can hear anything, if so you can still back it off to 16 initial and that won't hurt you performance wise really.