News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 charger console help

Started by 400sforever, March 14, 2017, 08:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

400sforever

can someone with experience on a 66 charger tell me how to get the top plate off the rear console on this car? Do I have to take the entire floor area piece out ( that goes behind the rear seats) ? or is there any easier way? I need to gain access to the pesky front console glove box light wire. I cant remove the front console without unhooking the little light wire and there is no other way to access it from the front console. Thanks!
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

ODZKing

Not that I am aware of.  I have this piece sitting in my basement as I was going to convert my 67 to a 66 console way back when. Talked myself out of that but no matter, here is a shot of the bottom. Studs and speed nuts hold it on.

ITSA426

You can probably access all you need by removing the front console cover plate and you might need to loosen the front console from the floor.  If you take the four long screws in the console glove box out you will have a whole other problem trying to get them back into the plate so just loosen them up to give you plenty of room.  They are pretty long.  If you take one all the way out first you can see how long they are and still put it back.  You can fish out the wire through the glove box light.  There are screws at the front and rear of the front console holding it to the floor.  The light and switch can be unplugged and removed. 

I hope that helps.

400sforever

Thanks for the ideas, except I'm taking the transmission out of the car, which is a 4 speed and I need to take the shifter out as well.  I already have the front console totally loose but that glove box light was never installed right from the factory. It's laying down inside the front of the rear console and that light wire is caught on some kind of bracket in there so I can not access the plugs to unhook it. In other words it caught on something. It looks like I'd have to take the entire rear console out to get at that top plate anyways unless I'm wrong? :shruggy: is the rear console hard to get out?

ITSA426

Actually not that hard if you have the front console out.  There are four bolts under the side carpet below the rear armrest, two on each side.  I think you can loosen them up to pick up the front of the rear console.  You can probably reach under to get your harness.  If not, I think you can pull the rear console if you remove those bolts and might need to remove the screws to take off the rear armrest.  Working from memory here but it's not much more than that.

400sforever

Thanks! I found that I had to pull aside some carpet to reveal those bolts at the rear of the rear console--one bolt on each side of it. . Then I was able to slide it forward. That plate that bolts between the two consoles is a slut like u were saying. .i ended up clear jb welding it in place so I could start those long screws

ITSA426

I use two 1/4 20 bolts with the heads cut off to locate the plate to reinstall the plate but I know others that have done it your way.  Sounds like you've got it under control now.  Now you can see one reason they only used that full length console for one year.

400sforever

Ya makes sense to me. .pain in the butt. .what size road wheels and redline tires do you run on your first gens? Do I want to put 14 inches back on it or should I modernize to a 15 ? It's a unique car so I want to keep it factory appearing

ITSA426

I run 205 75R14s which was as close as I could get to stock at the time.  I like the look.  If I were to do it over I'd run 15 inch rims.  If you do be sure to get some good ones.  There is some junk out there.

Are you on 66-67Chargers.com?  Lots of good info there.