News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Shackles

Started by Arbitrage123, February 03, 2017, 08:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbitrage123

I need to put new rear shackles on my 1968 Charger. I want them to be the stock height, does anyone have any recommendations of the best brand to use?

birdsandbees

Same rear shackle has been used on almost every Chrysler product from 1955 through 1989.

I ordered mine from Parts Monkey for $32 a set.. c/w bushings etc (although I am using the PST rubbers instead). They look exactly like originals.. or as exact as I can tell.

ACDELCO PROFESSIONAL CANADA Leaf Spring Shackle (45G13007)
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Arbitrage123

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 03, 2017, 10:02:00 AM
Same rear shackle has been used on almost every Chrysler product from 1955 through 1989.

I ordered mine from Parts Monkey for $32 a set.. c/w bushings etc (although I am using the PST rubbers instead). They look exactly like originals.. or as exact as I can tell.

ACDELCO PROFESSIONAL CANADA Leaf Spring Shackle (45G13007)

Still learning everything here and not sure what the part is called but does this look like the correct front connection for the rear leaf springs?

birdsandbees

Yes, that is the correct front leaf spring mounting bracket. On the assembly line the bolt would have been in from the inside, nut on the outside.... but it's certainly easier to drop your spring / replace the front bushings when it's the other way around.  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Arbitrage123

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 05, 2017, 12:50:15 PM
Yes, that is the correct front leaf spring mounting bracket. On the assembly line the bolt would have been in from the inside, nut on the outside.... but it's certainly easier to drop your spring / replace the front bushings when it's the other way around.  :yesnod:

Great to know, thank you. The rear shackles are not correct, which I knew. I am trying to figure if the leaf springs are. Do you know if there is a way to tell? I thought I was reading on the R/T 440's (which I have) that one side was different than the other. Thanks again

B-

HPP

Just looking at the four leaves in your picture, I can tell you have a combination of original and aftermarket leaves in them. They may have also been realigned as the second leaf is right under the spring eye. Are they correct..well, in what regard? They fit, they function, they perform. But they do have alterations from original.

Yes, typically RTs had the extra heavy duty leaf pack, which  has two extra half leafs on the passenger side. Without seeing the other side or the leaf packs in total, I'd guess yours has an add a leaf kit installed in it.

Arbitrage123

Quote from: HPP on February 06, 2017, 11:42:45 AM
Just looking at the four leaves in your picture, I can tell you have a combination of original and aftermarket leaves in them. They may have also been realigned as the second leaf is right under the spring eye. Are they correct..well, in what regard? They fit, they function, they perform. But they do have alterations from original.

Yes, typically RTs had the extra heavy duty leaf pack, which  has two extra half leafs on the passenger side. Without seeing the other side or the leaf packs in total, I'd guess yours has an add a leaf kit installed in it.

These are the best pictures I could get of the leaf springs without it being on a lift. I will post the "custom" rear shackles that are on it from when I purchased it as well.

Arbitrage123

Custom Shackles which are getting replaced.

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

HPP

They certainly have been doctored up judging from the number of leaves in each pack. Combined with your shackle, I bet your car sits rather high up in the air.

With the correct, shorter shackles, you may find it difficult to get them mounted  to the springs.  Shackles should point towards the rear bumper. Yours appear to be vertical. Your  main leaf may be a bit short or re-arched to create this situation.

Arbitrage123

Quote from: HPP on February 07, 2017, 10:56:56 PM
They certainly have been doctored up judging from the number of leaves in each pack. Combined with your shackle, I bet your car sits rather high up in the air.

With the correct, shorter shackles, you may find it difficult to get them mounted  to the springs.  Shackles should point towards the rear bumper. Yours appear to be vertical. Your  main leaf may be a bit short or re-arched to create this situation.

It does sit high the previous owner wanted the "racer" look. I am trying to take it back to stock. Trying to figure out if I just buy new leaf springs (obviously shackles).

HPP

If stock is where you're heading,  you can call Eaton or Espo and order a set of stock replacement xhd springs and shackles. You can dpec these as +or - 1-2 inches to dial in the exact height you want. Prices at both places are very competitive too.

Draco

Looks like some shop just took some flat stock, torched of 6" and drilled some holes and called them shackles. If there is a good spring shop in your area they would be able to pull out those extra
plys, refit the springs with new plastic ware pads. Press in new front bushings and set the springs to stock height. Maybe save you a few bucks.