News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas pedal hard to push

Started by mx916, January 16, 2017, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mx916

Guys, is it common for the gas pedal to be hard to push as compared to a newer car?  I have a '74 Charger with a 360.  I recall the pedal being hard on my '73 with a 318 that I had back in the '80's.  Is it just the way it is, or is there something I am missing that can be adjusted/changed/ or lubricated?  Thanks for any help.

Ryan.C

Wrong throttle return spring  :icon_smile_question:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

XH29N0G

The only thing that should be holding it back is the throttle return spring.  I think you would need a monster spring to make it difficult.  See how the linkage works near the carburetor?  If you can manipulate the throttle at the carb, you shouldn't have much pressure on the foot pedal and you can also rule out the spring.   Also, you may also want to keep a spare throttle cable.  It is no fun when the little ball pops off the end and you are stuck somewhere with no easy way to fix it.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

TommyGun

If the carb has been changed make sure the throttle cable brackets are right and or lined up correctly.  My car had a mis match of parts and the linkage was not pulling straight back and was actually rubbing on the trans kickdown linkage causing a really hard pedal.

A383Wing

disconnect the cable at both ends and make sure it moves freely, if not, replace cable

Kern Dog

If the transmission kickdown linkage is incorrectly positioned, it can bind up and make the throttle hard to press.

JR

Disconnect the throttle return spring and check for binding/interference.

If it's still binding, check further.

If it moves freely, return spring is too strong, or mounted in the wrong spot.

I've also seen throttle linkages bind up on aftermarket air cleaners.

It should be easy to spot where it's interfering at.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green