News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need to get a new engine. Modern Hemi? or stick with the 440?

Started by 2Gunz, December 30, 2016, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Is there a list someplace of what transmissions bolt up to what?

Troy

Quote from: 2Gunz on January 03, 2017, 02:34:21 PM
Is there a list someplace of what transmissions bolt up to what?
Basically, from 1966(?) on any "big block" 727 automatic will fit any big block. Any 904, A500, "small block" 727, and A518 automatic will fit any "small block" based engine (LA, Magnum, modern Hemi) - although the converters will have different weights based on the balance of the engine. The later A518s are computer controlled. The 833 based 4-speeds have bolt on bell housings so they fit just about anything. The newer 5-speed manuals (NV3500 and 4500 I think) only ever came behind small blocks so no big block bell housings and they are too big to fit the floor pans of the old cars. The T-56(?) 6-speed from the Viper can be made to fit with an aftermarket bell but I honestly don't know the bolt pattern used by the V-10 engines. These are larger in size than the Tremec 5-speeds. Stuart has one in the green Superbird convertible and there's a thread on it here. In theory, you could bolt an LA engine to the latest Hemi transmissions BUT they're computer controlled AND are too big to fit the floor pans of the old cars.

Maybe a list wouldn't be bad to put in a tech section somewhere...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lukedukem

To add to Troy's post, the A518 will work for big block also, But I believe you need to cut off the bell housing and add one from JW Ultrabell.  And there's the two wire ones and the three wire ones.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Troy

Quote from: lukedukem on January 03, 2017, 06:35:19 PM
To add to Troy's post, the A518 will work for big block also, But I believe you need to cut off the bell housing and add one from JW Ultrabell.  And there's the two wire ones and the three wire ones.

Luke
We covered it earlier and I was trying to limit it to things that "bolt up". It's probably better to have a "what fits in the car" list. :P

Troy

lukedukem

Good point. I need to read through this thread again. Does it state what size engine he currently has.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Troy

Quote from: lukedukem on January 03, 2017, 07:36:35 PM
Good point. I need to read through this thread again. Does it state what size engine he currently has.

Luke
440 but he has to pull it out return it to it's original car.

Troy

2Gunz

Ya.....  years ago I bought a shabby RT car to yank the engine and tranny from.
The intent was to scrap the car after that. I never did............

20 years go by and my dad wants that and the coronet out of the barn.
Turns out 20 years later the shabby RT is no longer that shabby.

I sold both cars to the same guy with the understanding that he gets the original motor when its time.

Derwud

My builder sold me a block for 300 bucks. Best craigslist deal I could find was 500.. I got to keep my stock block...
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Laowho

Quote from: Troy on December 31, 2016, 11:07:48 AM

Passon 4 spd OD is a great option, but his 855 5 spd is better.  He is still slowing cranking them out, but I've been on the list for the 5 spd for 3 years and still have a ways to go.
I have one of his 4-speed ODs. I didn't bring it up here because I believe the OP is wanting to stay auto. Maybe not?

Troy

[/quote]

Exactly. His subject line even says, "stick with the 440," wh/ is only natural  :hah:

500Jon

I have thought about this for a while as its a Mega decision, especially for a Charger owner! :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

I personally think its gotta be ORIGINAL all the way... :pity:

I think we are past the era for retro rides when it comes to Chargers?
They were awesome in the 60's and they are even MORE awesome now!!! :o
They don't need upgrading to a modern hemi or a GMC 6.3 diesel either.

Smallblock guys can go Magnum, Bigblock guys can get a 383 or 440 just about anywhere at a good price.

If you are a smallblock guy with Hemi intentions then go ahead, but NOT for me I'm afraid... :rotz:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!