News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Emblem Paint Removal

Started by Davtona, November 19, 2016, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davtona

So I have an original RT emblem with very nice chrome but it needs repainted. I do not wish to re chrome the emblem but need to remove the paint from it in prep for a new paint job. What is the best method to use for this. I do not want something that might aggravate the aged chrome and cause problems with it if there is a bad or weak spot I'm not seeing. I'm leery of chemical strippers and how they would affect the chrome as in maybe a color change to the chrome. Also thought about lacquer thinner. Anybody been down this road before with some advice.  :scratchchin:

Lennard

I cleaned mine with soap and hot water,  then I taped off the areas that did not need paint, scuffed up the old paint with Scotch Brite,  degreased it and painted it Red with a spray can.
Looks like a new one. :Twocents:
Edit: The chrome and black paint were still flawless on my emblem.  Only the Red paint was faded.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Davtona on November 19, 2016, 11:35:54 PM

So I have an original RT emblem with very nice chrome but it needs repainted. I do not wish to re chrome the emblem but need to remove the paint from it in prep for a new paint job. What is the best method to use for this. I do not want something that might aggravate the aged chrome and cause problems with it if there is a bad or weak spot I'm not seeing. I'm leery of chemical strippers and how they would affect the chrome as in maybe a color change to the chrome. Also thought about lacquer thinner. Anybody been down this road before with some advice.  :scratchchin:

Soak in evaporust. If you leave it a couple days the paint will likely fall off. It will not do anything to the chrome.

If that don't work soak in lacquer thinner for a few hours.

Repaint red using a syringe ,carefully wipe any excess off of the edges. Then mask the edges and spray the black.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............