News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i need a kick ass steering box for my 69 charger

Started by BigBlockSam, November 08, 2016, 11:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hi guys ,my power steering box is shot . i've up graded the front end to Polyurethane bushings, gas shocks and front and rear sway bars. now my steering box is shot we tried to adjust it but  no good , i would like to upgrade to a tighter power steering box . i can't do $700 for a new box but i'd like to get a better box then stock . any suggestions?

:cheers: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Lennard

Can you do $597.55 for a Borgeson? I bought mine from Summit.

Mike DC

Mopar ran that box a long time.  You could get one from 1980s RWD Diplomat or Gran Fury.  It probably lived a much shorter & easier life than your original box did.  

I can't remember if the output shaft diameter matches a '69 B-body though.  There were a few different ones from Mopar over the years.  

ACUDANUT

You can buy a rebuilt power steering box from O'reille's for 90.00

BigBlockSam

QuoteCan you do $597.55 for a Borgeson

i can't swing that .do you feel the difference with that Borgeson box?

QuoteYou can buy a rebuilt power steering box from O'reille's for 90.00

yea i can get a rebuilt box from my local parts store for $150. but i want something better then stock , tighter more responsive
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

c00nhunterjoe

Just drop the pressure in the power steering pump and increase the caster to 4 or 5 degrees.

Lennard

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 08, 2016, 08:39:45 PM
QuoteCan you do $597.55 for a Borgeson

i can't swing that .do you feel the difference with that Borgeson box?
My car is still in a thousand pieces so I can't tell you.

Mike DC

Just get a decent stock PS box, adjust the tightness correctly, and put a few degrees of caster into the upper control arms (offset bushings or aftermarket arms).  The steering will feel good enough to be more comfortable driving it.  

The added caster in the upper control arms will give the steering some of the self-centering action (when you let go of the wheel & coast) like modern vehicles have.  Contrary to common assumptions the centering effect is not related to the steering box.  It's only coming from the caster alignment.

Bronzedodge

I bought my box from Steer n' Gear, $300.- plus an old box for a core.  This was at Carlisle 3 years ago - I didn't plan on it, so I walked the swaps till i found a greasy $15 box and bought it to save a trip home.  (90 min drive)  Feels like steering a new Dodge truck - firm, good feedback, not numb like the 60's - 70's boxes.

http://www.steerandgear.com/
Mopar forever!

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 08, 2016, 07:40:24 PM
You can buy a rebuilt power steering box from O'reille's for 90.00

Yeah...and it might be worth about half of that. These "rebuilders" do not replace any hard parts unless they are seriously screwed up. They just clean and REgasket them.
Cheap? Yeah....