News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear spring on a 68 Charger - are they the same as each other?

Started by DanPratt, September 20, 2016, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanPratt

Hi all,

Are the rear leaf springs on a 68 charger the same?  I have ordered two new rear leaf springs and they have arrived.  One is higher than the other and it actually has a small extra plate in it.  Is that some kind of mistake or may there have been some deliberate engineering behind the difference (torque twist for example)?

Many thanks for any advise those of you with experience with this area might be able to send my way,

Dan

BLK 68 R/T

Yep. That is normal, those are the "heavy duty" springs as found on 440 and hemi cars. The one with the 2 half leaves in it goes on the right side.

DanPratt

Thank you for your reply.  When you say "right" side do you mean the driver's side or right as viewed from standing out front of the car?

HPP

Right as in the passenger side of the car.  Right and left is determined from sitting in the driver's seat.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: HPP on September 21, 2016, 09:19:45 AM
Right as in the passenger side of the car.  Right and left is determined from sitting in the driver's seat.

:iagree:

DanPratt

469 runner

Those look like nice springs.  If you don't mind, can you share where they were purchased?  I bought what was supposed to be replacements for the HD Hemi/440 springs and they do not have the biased design as original.

DanPratt

Hi all,

I put those rear springs in and despite my doubts concerning the right spring looking higher on than the left (and the right having those two short extra leaves) my charger sits just like it did when it rolled off the factory floor in 68.  Beautiful!

Hi 469 Runner - I ordered the springs from Summit Racing. I have bought a few things from them and they have been excellent in every way.  Got new shackles too and some new shock absorbers.  It all went straight in.  I have found Summit to be very responsive to questions and shipping has always been reliable and reasonably prices. I've not been unhappy with anything I have ordered from them.  I'm in Australia so that makes a huge difference when I can't shop around locally for stuff.

Cheers all,

Dan

Lg369dc

Hi Dan,

I am considering new springs in addition to new rear and front shocks. Can you tell me what shocks you went with for the front and rear?  Also can you post a side pic of your car sitting at factory height? I'm trying to figure out the stance of mine as well. I have a 69 Charger. Thanks.