News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Raw gas smell after hard acceleration.......

Started by RECHRGD, September 03, 2016, 06:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

This is probably normal to some extent with a naturally aspirated hot rod, but I'll ask just the same.  This has been happening for years without issue, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.  Today, as countless times before, I made a very spirited pass of another vehicle on the highway.  Afterwards there is a strong gas smell that permeates the interior of the car.  After a mile or so it disapates and things go back to normal.  There are no leaks that I can find or any residue on the intake.  The carb is a Holley 750 double pumper with a Proform main body. The fuel pump is a carter high volume mechanical.  Fuel pressure is at around 6 r 7 pounds at idle.  Should I make any adjustments or changes?
13.53 @ 105.32

MSRacing89

Its more likely exhaust fumes making there way into the cabin at those speeds.  These cars, with their sweet aero package, seem to create a natural vacuum for fumes from the rear of the car.  Everyone will ask if your trunk seal is good or no holes in trunk, etc.  Still happens sometimes.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

comet_666

Ha! I have exact same issue. Almost as if its not burning all the fuel. At first I thought it was exhaust but it more seems like gas smell.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 03, 2016, 06:47:16 PM
This is probably normal to some extent with a naturally aspirated hot rod, but I'll ask just the same.  This has been happening for years without issue, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.  Today, as countless times before, I made a very spirited pass of another vehicle on the highway.  Afterwards there is a strong gas smell that permeates the interior of the car.  After a mile or so it disapates and things go back to normal.  There are no leaks that I can find or any residue on the intake.  The carb is a Holley 750 double pumper with a Proform main body. The fuel pump is a carter high volume mechanical.  Fuel pressure is at around 6 r 7 pounds at idle.  Should I make any adjustments or changes?

Floats set too high ? gas sloshing out the vent tube on the holley with a jolt of acceleration ?

RECHRGD

It's definitely gas and not exhaust.  I'll check the floats.  I remember raising them a few years ago because it would die after a hard stop.
13.53 @ 105.32

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: RECHRGD on September 06, 2016, 06:09:10 PM
It's definitely gas and not exhaust.  I'll check the floats.  I remember raising them a few years ago because it would die after a hard stop.

I experienced same thing in a ford with a holley hp. Would die on hard braking. My issue was gas would slosh out the back float bowl and have a nasil effect down the carb throat flooding it. Clear sight holes in the floats would be easiest, but ive had good luck just taking screws out and adjusting. Mind you i had an electic pump, so could do it with key on engine off not vibrating all around.