News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny oil change help

Started by euroZ06, September 01, 2016, 05:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

So, my tranny looks fairly good, shifts ok, paint on it is fairly new, but it's leaking pretty bad... primarily from one of the bolts. So, I figured I'd replace the gasket and put some kind of sealant on the bolts.

Here is the kicker: I'm in Germany, so may not have access to the same parts ya'll have.

Are there any tricks to doing it? looks pretty straight forward. I'll try to use gasket maker and a gasket, to make sure there are no leaks. How much oil do I need? Should it be specific oil? We have some regular Auto tranny oil in the BX, but I can buy some on the economy, just need to know what items I need to look for. Also, I bought this thing back in the day (in US), it's like two tubes that you mix and put on a bolt to make sure it stays in. Can I use the same thing to prevent the oil leaking from the bolts?

thanks for all the help.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Dino

Are you talking about the pan bolts? I use a hard gasket that has these thin rubber nibs on them. Found it on ebay pretty cheap. If I find the part number I'll post back, I would think you could find it in Germany, or at least be able to have it shipped there. It goes on dry and it does not leak. I hate using RTV on a pan and risk some of that stuff getting into the trans. I'd start byt removing the pan and cleaning everything up to make sure you don't have any cracks n the pan or trans housing. The bolts shouldn't need anything and you definitely don't want to over torque them. Check the pan carefully for warped rils. I got rid of mine and bought a cheapo chrome pan with a drain bolt and together with the dry gasket it has been bone dry ever since.

I use Valvoline maxlife atf in mine but any dexron/mercon will do. When empty they take a lot, like 9 quarts or something, but when you don't drain the converter it's a lot less. Just pour in about 4 quarts, run the car and shift through all the gears. Then leave it in neutral and check the dipstick. Make sure the car is level.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.