News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition Dilemma

Started by Brass, July 21, 2016, 07:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

I think my 15 year old orange box might finally be letting go, so it seems like a good time to upgrade.  I really like the idea of a plug and play solution like the Rev-N-nator because in a pinch, a stock-style replacement can be found just about anywhere.  Also, Mancini offers an attractive package that includes the ECU, coil, and a Firecore distributor.  That seems like the best of both worlds and the built in rev-limiter is pretty cool too.

The other option is the Firecore RTR.  But what if something goes wrong way out in remote-ville USA?  

What, if any, advantages does the Firecore RTR system have over the Rev-N-nator/Firecore distributor combo?

Also, the Firecore RTR install seems a bit more involved, which could be a downside.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

b5blue

Hey I've the RTR in my 440. The wiring is actually simple, bond brown/blue and pitch all the stuff extra. Breaking the old mindset is the hardest part of the conversion. You don't need extra ignition parts as the RTR is reliable. I drive my car everyday, if anything were to fail it's getting towed home for the fix. (Who but us old Mopar guys drive around with spare ignition parts?  :lol:

firefighter3931

As a dealer & tech advisor for the FireCore product line the electronics can be best described as very reliable. The RTR is popular because it simplifies the ignition system and eliminates the ballist resistor. It's designed to run on a constant 12V power supply for increased spark energy and better performance.  :2thumbs:

The RTR requires a Capacative Discharge coil for proper operation. To date there have been zero failures observed with the RTR using the CD coil. We also recommend upgrading the factory voltage regulator to an electronic unit (pre 1970 cars) because the points style with it's constant switching is hard on the ECU motherboard.  :yesnod:

Lots of neat features and quality construction make the RTR an excellent buy and great value.  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

davidcam69

The only downside I see with the RTR is rpm control. I have a manual trans and want a rev limiter. The plug and play with the Rev-n-ator seems best for me. My question is the Rev-n-ator a good proven product?       

flyinlow

Several good ignition choices.

As far as what to do with a break down.  I have an old ECU with the five pin harness , resistor and coil tie wrapped together. A back up ignition system. Three wires to hook up: red jumper lead to the battery, black to ground and two wire plug to the distributor. The set up is hot when jumped ,so to kill the engine you have to open the hood and pull the red jumper. It eliminates any problem in the aftermarket ignition, wiring ,ign. switch, bulkhead connectors, etc.

It all fits into my spare parts bag and cost almost nothing.

Troy

I have a Rev-n-ator (and a Firecore too) and it seemed to work fine but I was having some strange issues. I then found out that it doesn't like having the vacuum advance plugged in but I had a custom distributor built to work with my Six Pack and didn't want to take it off. I haven't decided if going back to an orange box was really a great idea - considering that's the reason I have 4 different ignition setups now...

The only reason I removed the Firecore was because that car looks mostly stockish with the Six Pack. I plan to use it on the Charger whenever it's finished because it won't look anything like stock and I'd rather have the performance. There's also the regular style Firecore distributor that you can run with an MSD or something with a rev limiter.

The Rev-n-ator is kinda stock looking but the leds are clearly visible so it's not. It's also highly dependent on whether you have a decent distributor and the latest Chrysler ones seem to have had some quality issues. See my above comment about the Firecore distributor.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brass

All great comments - certainly food for thought.  Thanks again!