News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I found a Vega rear hatch - should I grab it?

Started by Mike DC, June 29, 2016, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

I met a guy who is parting out a Vega.  

Does anyone need the rear window/hatch?  

It has a small rust area (holes) at the bottom left corner.  That may not be the only rust but overall the item seems workable.  Glass & trim is all there.  

500Jon

Hi Mike,

Hope all is well.
Vega Hatches are easier to find than donor Chargers these days!
All 69 and 70 Chargers are worth a small fortune now.
Seen loads cut up and wrecked back in the day.
Bet Folks had wishes they looked after them better? :slap:
The thought of 'cloning one' seems a bit oddball in todays market.

A guy in the UK cloned a 70-GTX into a Birdie, it didn't go down very well, especially when Satelittes and RR's are easy to find.

Best wishes from 5J, the C500 headlight finishing panels you sold me, were PERFECT!
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Stevearino

billssuperbird

I have one no glass if any one is interested in it

Mike DC

I'm not sure what the guy wants for it but probably not a lot.  He's about ready to scrap the car.  I went there to look at something else and just happened to notice it.  I might grab it even if nobody else here wants it right now. 

Like I said, it's not what I would call nice.  It's workable.  Standard condition for a 40y midwestern junk car part.   

Stevearino

I would be interested in it to have a spare glass.

Mike DC

If that's all you want, then it might be a lot cheaper to ship the glass alone.  The whole lid together is probably double the size & weight.  

Is there a standard common way that people ship used glass these days?  My first inclination would be to screw together a wooden framework around it & send it by Fedex.  Even if I sent the whole lid it still wouldn't be safe without a wooden frame of some kind.

Stevearino

I still haven't installed my rear glass so I could make a shipping container and send it to you  empty Mike. That way it could go common carrier. That would be the cheapest way to go. Also if it broke it would be on me. We ship from work with Roadway I would try to make the round trip arrangements from here. PM me with the price of the plug.

Mike DC

I'm gonna go back this weekend and see if i can get it.  I'll know more then.  

The glass piece is pretty flat.  It could probably be shipped between a pair of thick flat plywood sheets.  

I'm picturing 2x4's around the perimeter, sandwiched between the two plywood sheets, to create an open space between the sheets.  Wrap the glass in bubble wrap & packing noodles and close it up inside.  

You could make the crate or I could.  I've probably got 2/3rds of the materials for it already laying around.  Either way it should be pretty simple to make.  

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 01, 2016, 03:55:18 PM

I'm gonna go back this weekend and see if i can get it.  I'll know more then.  

The glass piece is pretty flat.  It could probably be shipped between a pair of thick flat plywood sheets.  

I'm picturing 2x4's around the perimeter, sandwiched between the two plywood sheets, to create an open space between the sheets.  Wrap the glass in bubble wrap & packing noodles and close it up inside.  

You could make the crate or I could.  I've probably got 2/3rds of the materials for it already laying around.  Either way it should be pretty simple to make.  

Either way is good. Grab the piece and we will go from there. I will reimburse you for any materials cost ect.
Thanks Mike.

Mike DC

BTW, I've been assuming all years of (fastback) Vega rear hatches are the correct one.  That's true, right?  The hatch I saw looked just like the ones pictured in all the Daytona clone buildups.  I'm not sure about the year of the car itself but it had the big mid/late-70s bumpers. 

Stevearino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 01, 2016, 05:49:06 PM

BTW, I've been assuming all years of (fastback) Vega rear hatches are the correct one.  That's true, right?  The hatch I saw looked just like the ones pictured in all the Daytona clone buildups.  I'm not sure about the year of the car itself but it had the big mid/late-70s bumpers. 

As long as it's a hatch back I am pretty sure they are all the same including the Pontiac version of the Vega (whatever the hell it was called) The only difference I think was there were louvered and smooth versions which is  of little difference to me as I won't be needing the hatch.

Old Moparz

The later years had the vent between the glass & the bottom edge & not as desirable, but it's a flat area & easy to patch.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry