News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lower Radiator Hose Clearance

Started by Chris 69, April 14, 2006, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

I put a new lower radiator hose on my '68 Charger 383 and it fits snuggly against the oil filter.

Is this common or should there be an air gap between the two?

Thanks,

Chris

resq302

Chris, I have always had a very tight clearence with my lower rad hose in my 69 Charger with the 383.  Kinda makes you wonder why they put the oil filter there as when you remove it, the oil goes all over the K-frame also. :icon_smile_angry:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Chis,
I have 440's in both my '68 & '70 Chargers. on my '70, the hose touches the filter. On my '68, there is a little bit of clearance. Why, I don't know. Same engines, same rad's, same repro filers, etc.  ???
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

I have cut 1/2in to an inch off of the bottom hose as it goes into the bottom of the water pump.
This can give you a little room so that the hose is not touching the filter. But it still can be close
I would prefer its not touching though.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Chris 69

Thanks for the responses. I am just worried that the excessive temperatures and the contact between the two parts may cause the hose to rupture over a period of time.

Chris

voodoo

I wouldn't worry too much, I'd think the filter would would suffer more than the hose but hopefully your changing that often,Just keep an eye on it periodically and if your really worried about it slip a little lithium grease or vaseline between the two and roll on.