News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carbon fiber 68-70 dash

Started by F8-4life, June 11, 2016, 11:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

I'm wondering if anyone makes or has made a legit Carbon fiber 68-70 dash trim?

Mopar Nut

There's some on eBay, eBay item number: 331752961235
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mytur Binsdirti

Carbon fiber is to the white man what bouncy suspensions are to the Mexican.

F8-4life

The ebay one is plastic I believe with a look alike surface. I'm not super big on carbon fiber on a 2nd gen charger but at work I just got done doing some custom carbon fiber trim on a ferrari 360 and it got me kind of excited about making some custom dash pieces for my '68 using actual carbon fiber and custom cutting everything out. We have some blue tinted carbon fiber which looks pretty cool. Another Idea I had was my chrome 4 sp console tops are pitted and I could possibly run carbon fiber trim along there as well. The look is not for everyone but with all my stock pieces looking tired anyway it might be a cool alternative. The dash bezel might take some decent hrs to make though.

Brock Lee

Quote from: F8-4life on June 12, 2016, 08:54:53 AM
The ebay one is plastic I believe with a look alike surface.

Yes, it certainly is. We used a regular black one they made. It likely doesn't make much of a difference as the general public doesn't own or known what the actual material looks like.

myk

I'm all about modernizing these cars but I feel like a carbon fiber look would be misplaced.  I guess I just have to see it first...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

VegasCharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 12, 2016, 05:18:54 AM
Carbon fiber is to the white man what bouncy suspensions are to the Mexican.

Amen to that :cheers:

:puke: :puke: :puke:

ws23rt

I always thought the cool thing about "carbon fiber" was it's function and not what it looks like. :shruggy:

It reminds me of stainless steel or aluminium. They have cool properties but if it's covered in paint how can someone show it off without a sign/label? :lol:

So the generic pattern/look of "carbon fiber" is put on whatever may be underneath and it becomes the cool thing.

The bouncing car thing reminded me of a low rider gathering I saw years ago. One of the cars was a four door where the rear doors were welded shut and blended to make it a two door. It was comical to watch the guys in the back seat climb over the front seat to get out of the car. :smilielol:

JR

I've accepted the idea of vinyl wrapping my dash and console inserts.

I think carbon fiber would work, in a pro touring, big budget build. I think it would look out of place in a lightly modded, or stock charger.

I'm leaning towards brushed aluminum wrap for my dash. I already have AutoMeter Ultralight silver face gauges, so silver won't work, maybe black or charcoal?

Or

They also make really nice carbon fiber vinyl if your Charger can pull it off.

I know it's not any functional benefit, but let's be realistic, weight savings from real carbon fiber would be negligible, and wrapping what's there will probably look identical to 99% of the public anyways.

I must say though, almost any wrap would be better than the cheesy, horribly fake woodgrain stickers that my car has always had.  :lol:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

WHITE AND RED 69

I think a carbon fiber dash with the chrome from the gauges would look good if done right. I'm personally not a fan of the ebay kit posted above. They just spray grey squares on it and call it carbon fiber. Real carbon fiber has a much sleeker look. 

I did a carbon fiber wrap for my console plates and I love the look. I will post a pic of my console later but here is a sample of the wrap I put on mine.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Classy Clayton saves the day again....
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: myk on June 13, 2016, 08:27:04 PM
Classy Clayton saves the day again....

:lol:  But I'll still get heat from some guys for covering up the woodgrain that was on there.

Here are some pics of mine with a high gloss carbon fiber overlay. The second photo makes it look odd from the flash but it's black. The last pic is with a matte carbon fiber vinyl wrap on an extra console plate I had lying around.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Well I've never understood the idea of wood or wood trim on cars.  I mean, wood comes from a living, breathing thing and so we put it into a dead, rolling piece of steel and machinery like a car?  Why not install a space to grow a small plant in the interior too?  I contend that wood can be just as misplaced as carbon fiber in a car.

Anyway I like Clayton's application of the carbon fiber look; it's subtle and almost completely blends in with the rest of the interior.  Definitely something to consider...

JR

I agree, that looks great. Very nice!

It's funny to me that guys would give you hell about changing out plastic with a terrible wood sticker over it. If someone really takes the time to complain to a stranger about that,  I really have to wonder.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: myk on June 14, 2016, 01:28:53 AM
Well I've never understood the idea of wood or wood trim on cars.  I mean, wood comes from a living, breathing thing and so we put it into a dead, rolling piece of steel and machinery like a car? 

So, I guess leather seats are out also?

NCMopar

Clayton, that last pic looks a good bit like the carbon weave material used in the E92 M3. It's classy, understated and holds up well. I absolutely love the use of real CF and alcantara in modern cars, but I think it's difficult to pull off in in something from 40+ years ago. That said, the owner can do whatever they like with their ride. I'm working on a Hello Kitty tribute Charger right now (jk).

As for the weight savings, the guys I typically see guys using that reason would save a lot more weight by cutting back on Mountain Dew and Cheetos...

Regards,
John 

crj1968

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 14, 2016, 06:14:02 AM
Well I've never understood the idea of wood or wood trim on cars.  I mean, wood comes from a living, breathing thing and so we put it into a dead, rolling piece of steel and machinery like a car? 

So, I guess leather seats are out also?

Only if the fur is still attached.

Mytur Binsdirti

Stevearino

Why not install a space to grow a small plant in the interior too? 

Well...... Why the hell not?

M5Ivan

:lol:  But I'll still get heat from some guys for covering up the woodgrain that was on there.

I like it!! I removed my woodgrain sticker too. I went with DMT's soft touch look black overlay. It's an easy change and I can always go back to the woodgrain if I decide.

crj1968

M5Ivan

crj1968

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: M5Ivan on June 15, 2016, 09:05:34 AM

I like it!! I removed my woodgrain sticker too. I went with DMT's soft touch look black overlay. It's an easy change and I can always go back to the woodgrain if I decide.

Thanks for the pic  :cheers:     I was thinking about changing over Betty to the black stuff. 

I used DMTs woodgrain stuff to freshen up Sinnamon's console.   Not difficult.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

DAY CLONA

it's a tradition from earlier times