News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will you move when you retire?

Started by 66FBCharger, June 03, 2016, 07:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

When you retire will you live where you live now or move to somewhere else?
Where do you live now? Where would you move to?
What are the pros and cons of where you are moving from and the pros and cons of where you are moving to?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

myk

Retire?  I will never be able to afford to do that; assuming I even live that long...

johnnycharger

I don't know if I will ever afford to retire but I wish I could already. I need more lottery tickets.
I bought my first home 5 years ago and I hope it is the only one I ever need to buy. I love my place and my neighborhood. I am in Napa - the city I grew up in.

RallyeMike

My area has grown ridiculously crowded and more expensive, and supposedly is going to be getting much worse, so we are moving. We love our house, City, and climate - just not the traffic and taxes.

The last year or so has been spent exploring options - it looks like we'll be able to find a similar house within 50-100 miles that costs 1/2 to 2/3 as much and the property taxes will be a 1/3  to 1/2. Exactly where, of many options, is TBD. We plan to be flexible and jump on whatever good opportunity comes up within multiple chosen areas. We have looked into other states, but where we live now has a good economy, lots of varied activities, and incredible beauty and we don't want to walk away from that.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

71charger_fan

We thought about moving, but really love Frederick, MD. Although MD taxes suck, my best estimate was that it would take me about 10 years to amortize the cost of moving to another state through tax savings. So, I built another garage, put on a sunroom, and am having a patio installed. We'll stay put until forced by age and/or infirmity to move.

I was lucky. I spent the last 9 years plus overseas. That gave me the extra income and savings I needed to retire while still relatively young (57). I retired last October 3rd. I miss the paychecks, but, whenever I hear the traffic reports, I know I did the right thing.

68X426

We might move because all the retirees are now moving here to my little town, it's getting crowded.

Nevada - no state taxes, looking better all the time.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

John_Kunkel

I retired 25 years ago and considered moving (I hate the Cali politics) but the move would have required logistics that were impractical.

If I lived out of a suitcase I'd be long gone from here.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Patronus

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 08:16:45 AM
Retire?  I will never be able to afford to do that; assuming I even live that long...

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Retire?
That's some funny shit right there!  :rofl:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

myk

I don't know about economics and all that stuff; will it be that much more expensive to live out here when the state minimum wage reaches $15 an hour?

shorty442

kinda got forced out via an early retirement package too good to pass up.  we are basically Michigan raised folks and have various family members scattered there and over in Chicago.  so about 8 yrs ago during the many weeks of severance pay, I moved stuff from northern Indiana to a log cabin place on 5 wooded acres we found in western-central Michigan, one single axle cargo trailer at a time.

we're enjoying the peace and quiet, woodland critters, riding ATVs on the many trails, just got a used pontoon boat so the wife and I can explore the numerous small lakes nearby, having friends and family visit, etc.  we had enough of large towns and traffic so we chose being near a small town but can get to big box stores in 3-40 minutes as necessary.  economics are what you choose to do with what you have IMHO.

Bob

Probably snow bird it for awhile until we decide.

triple_green

I've spent 25 years getting involved and making friends in this community, not sure why I would want to move away, esp since my house will be paid off.

I do however plan to travel and see the US, maybe a couple of European spots, for the first ten years after I retire. (3 years)

I would like to find a place to go for parts of March and April when the pollen and allergens are high here. (I love San Diego)...

Just my dreamin'

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Kern Dog

Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 08:20:06 PM
I don't know about economics and all that stuff; will it be that much more expensive to live out here when the state minimum wage reaches $15 an hour?

Yes.
Again, the politicians of this state have made a friggin mess of things. Enacting legislation to help themselves and using our tax dollars to do it. I can't understand how people vote these pricks into office over and over. A state with such one sided Liberal thinking cannot pay its bills without increased taxes to cover it.
I'm in Northern CA. I love the weather and the scenery. I'm closing in on my 30 years in my trade and could technically retire soon but I may continue working in some way. Maybe a part time position somewhere just to help maintain a routine.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 04, 2016, 12:19:21 PM
Quote from: myk on June 03, 2016, 08:20:06 PM

Yes.
Again, the politicians of this state have made a friggin mess of things. Enacting legislation to help themselves and using our tax dollars to do it. I can't understand how people vote these pricks into office over and over. A state with such one sided Liberal thinking cannot pay its bills without increased taxes to cover it.
Yes.
Exactly! Damn glad I don't live in CA...however every year we get more and more people fleeing CA & moving here (Utah). I've already seen signs (one literally) of the CA transplant's Liberal mindset affecting the way we live here in my state. The literal sign? A motion recently passed to rename one of the Salt Lake downtown streets "Harvey Milk Blvd."...that putz had nothing to do with Utah! :image_294343: Anyway...

Yes, I will move, even before retirement (assuming that even happens). There's simply too damn many people here these days, I'm tired of the commute BS each day & tired of the massive urban sprawl we are experiencing. I will move to someplace that looks and acts much more like Mayberry. :yesnod: I was raised in a town like that until I was 12 & the older I get, the more I yearn to return to something similar.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

68X426

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 04, 2016, 12:19:21 PM
Again, the politicians of this state have made a friggin mess of things. Enacting legislation to help themselves and using our tax dollars to do it. I can't understand how people vote these pricks into office over and over.

Greg, I'm just around the corner from you in the Mother Lode.  Amen brother to your comments.  Basically they (and we know who they are) are forcing us to move out-of-state.  They do not like hard working taxpayers.  We have a target on our backs.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Quote from: Charger_Fan on June 04, 2016, 08:24:56 PM
the CA transplant's Liberal mindset affecting the way we live here in my state.

Oh no, do I cross Utah of the list of possibilities for retirement?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dino

I'm staying put. I love Michigan way too much to give it up.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

will

I'm out of new York as soon as I can. Don't have a plan yet, but I will not stay here.

Kern Dog

I often think about what other places I'd like to consider for retirement. I love the rural settings with lots of trees, lots of green grass. I hate snow, I hate Arizona-like hot weather too. Maybe this is why I love where I am. sad thing is, the tax enforcers know that and take advantage of it.
Nevada? Sorry, the landscape is just not what I like. I have In-Laws in Arizona but again, the weather and landscape kills it.
Is there anywhere that isn't humid in the Summer, below 30 in the Winter, has trees and grass and also a low tax rate?

oldgold69

I would like to move back to the farm but when I retire they will dig a new hole and then throw me in   :eek2:

Kern Dog

Not a great thought!

On a related note though...Anywhere you go, you need to factor in the proximity of a doctor. Who wants to be 50 miles from medical help should your health be an issue?

Dodgecharger74

I hope to be able to move,  out to the garage to work on the charger.  Get out of this office 
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

66FBCharger

I'm in Ct. I like it here. As I get older I have less tolerance for winter. Each snow storm people drive like it is the first time they have ever driven in snow!
The taxes are 2nd highest in the country. Gas prices and gas tax is one of the highest. Our state income tax that was temporary and was going to be phased out is here to stay and is steadily rising. We pay property taxes every year on cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. They tax our Social Security and Pensions. I am tired of paying taxes on everything!
I'd like to find a state that doesn't tax my pension. Id hate to lose 20 -25% of my pension to taxes.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 66FBCharger on June 06, 2016, 07:44:11 AM
I'm in Ct. I like it here. As I get older I have less tolerance for winter. Each snow storm people drive like it is the first time they have ever driven in snow!
The taxes are 2nd highest in the country. Gas prices and gas tax is one of the highest. Our state income tax that was temporary and was going to be phased out is here to stay and is steadily rising. We pay property taxes every year on cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. They tax our Social Security and Pensions. I am tired of paying taxes on everything!
I'd like to find a state that doesn't tax my pension.

It isn't much better here in MA. Up here in the northeast (NJ, NY, CT, RI & MA) we really get screwed by taxes and our ultra-liberal politicians. Moving to where the weather is nice and the taxes are low sounds good in theory, but most of the states that have little or no snow are hot as hell in the summer and I hate that extreme heat and humidity. So, I've come to the conclusion that if our kids stay local, we are not going to move out of this area although I can see potentially going away to a warmer climate from January-April.

Tilar

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 06, 2016, 08:14:52 AM
we are not going to move out of this area although I can see potentially going away to a warmer climate from January-April.

Make it just over 6 months and claim that as your primary state of residence for taxes if they don't have a state income tax. Not sure if it's still the same but it helped me out on taxes when I started coming back to Ohio for the summers.

I still have 7 years before I can retire. As long as my parents are still alive I will stay in Ohio and take care of them, but once they are gone I'm probably selling the whole kit and caboodle and headed back to Texas near my son and his wife and kids.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.