News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

motorcycle battery help

Started by poppa, May 15, 2016, 08:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hi all. How can I figure out what size/type battery I need for an old m/c? It's a 40's Indian and I converted it from 6v to 12v. Obviously no electric starter , just tail , brake , dash , head and fog lights. Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

ws23rt

What I would do is look for a 12 volt battery size that will fit in the place the battery goes.
As for type?   Cheap? expensive?   What I intend to use on my hemi bike project is Odyssey. They are supposed to give their all in a hurry as needed. 
For my case that is a lot to ask. (I will use two).

I look forward to others input on this as batterys and the tec. keeps changing.

poppa

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I did but time for a new one and wanted to get more info. Mine only had a 1 ampere rating and saw a couple with 12 or 20 and wondered if those would be better???

Patronus

I'd say Shorai makes the most popular (at least in the enduro world) Just looking on eBay there's plenty to choose from.
Different sizes and mounts that work best for your job. I searched under "cafe racer battery"
And it looks like there even getting smaller!  :scope:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

John_Kunkel

Quote from: poppa on May 15, 2016, 08:42:42 PM
It's a 40's Indian and I converted it from 6v to 12v.

What'd you use for a generator?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cavemanno1

You guys  know now you both have to post pictures of your bikes.A'40 Indian and a HEMI bike???? :drool5: Must be the first hemi bike i ever heard of!
Would love to see your rides guys!

tcs69rt

Poppa, i have a 52 Pan that I converted to 12V with an electronic Mallory distributor and generator. I just run a cheap WalMart battery $40 in my horseshoe oil tank. I only need spark to the plugs to kick it over. I recall Odessey having a dry cell battery fr $110 I used on a Triumph. The advantage is that I could lay it on it's side and it also worked.  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

poppa

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 17, 2016, 01:25:02 PM
Quote from: poppa on May 15, 2016, 08:42:42 PM
It's a 40's Indian and I converted it from 6v to 12v.

What'd you use for a generator?

Stock 3 brush upgraded coils and armature.

Will see what kind of pics I have when I get home.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

poppa

Sorry , only one on my laptop.

cavemanno1

:drool5: Thanks for the picture,very nice bike.I'd take the fenders off cover that beauty up too much but she is gorgeous!