News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Nose Decals (NOS) ~ Left only

Started by PettyMower, May 09, 2016, 04:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PettyMower

Yesterday, during my visit to my parent's house for Mother's Day, I needed to find something in the attic. I stashed a crap-load of old Mopar stuff there many years ago. While searching, I stumbled onto the NOS decals that were purchased for my car, by the previous owner. He slightly dented the left side of the nose, and it was barely noticeable. So, they were included with the 'Bird when I purchased it in 1986.

Figured I'd show what the original packaging looked like, along with part numbers, carton markings, instructions, and the decals themselves.

Note that the round "Road Runner" is already placed on the headlight bucket decal.

PettyMower

More pics:

PettyMower

By the way, decals are marked "3M Application Decal".

There is more small print, that I cannot make out.

odcics2

Can you take a close up of the textured surface for the "rookies" on the board?   :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

PettyMower

Close up pics:

nascarxx29

Cool stuff .Istill got wing decals and round headlight door decal nos
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Quote from: PettyMower on May 09, 2016, 05:24:18 PM
Close up pics:

Notice how the material has shrunk a bit, over the years...
One way to tell any vinyl material, like sponsor stickers, if they are repops or not.  :Twocents:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Here is a picture of my extra right headlight door surround.
There is also a Mopar box in the picture but when I try to peel the tape off the end everything comes with it.
I believe the part number is 3571 178.
MJ

Redbird

There was an excellent article in one of the Museum curator magazines a few years ago on how stickers were made, the differences in production, and preservation. It dealt with why some stickers shrink and why the new ones do not shrink for the most part. One of the things it said was that printed vinyl stickers, in the era we are interested in, shrank as a result of heat applied to dry the ink. Current printed vinyl stickers use a different process not using heat to dry the current ink.

Side note, some of the muscle car era bumper stickers (from the Fasson company) were printed on paper based backing and some were printed on all vinyl. The paper based backing generally does not shrink.

I'm not too sure as to how this would apply to Superbird Nose Decal material.

The 3M Skotch Material is a whole different topic not having anything to do with vinyl.

hemi68charger

These two items would be great for my Superbird project... But, one would have to have a matched pair or originals since they are textured if I'm not mistaken....... One couldn't just use one and get a reproduction since they have a smoother finish to them.......

:cheers:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 12, 2016, 01:17:31 PM
These two items would be great for my Superbird project... But, one would have to have a matched pair or originals since they are textured if I'm not mistaken....... One couldn't just use one and get a reproduction since they have a smoother finish to them.......

:cheers:

Correct.  You usually have to piece together a set of the originals.   Hard to find.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on May 12, 2016, 01:53:04 PM

Correct.  You usually have to piece together a set of the originals.   Hard to find.

and if they are still any good......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Quote from: Redbird on May 12, 2016, 11:53:53 AM
There was an excellent article in one of the Museum curator magazines a few years ago on how stickers were made, the differences in production, and preservation. It dealt with why some stickers shrink and why the new ones do not shrink for the most part. One of the things it said was that printed vinyl stickers, in the era we are interested in, shrank as a result of heat applied to dry the ink. Current printed vinyl stickers use a different process not using heat to dry the current ink.

Side note, some of the muscle car era bumper stickers (from the Fasson company) were printed on paper based backing and some were printed on all vinyl. The paper based backing generally does not shrink.

I'm not too sure as to how this would apply to Superbird Nose Decal material.

The 3M Skotch Material is a whole different topic not having anything to do with vinyl.

I have seen all types of backing shrink.  It's also very age dependent and where they were stored.
I've seen some from the 60s, stored in a cool basement, look 'pretty new', and others, from an attic, toast!   :Twocents:
Let's see a new sticker in 60 years and we'll see how they hold up!   :yesnod:

PettyMower

Thanks for the inquiries, but I'm currently not interested in selling the decals.

As old as they are, I doubt they would be good enough to be applied to a car....even with a matching right side.

FJ5WING

I had the wing and quarter decals in NOS form and all of them were unuseable. :'(
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

We were lucky on how my decals for the Superbird were stored!
Very little shrinkage and they all applied just fine including the set of nose decals!

As a side note, finding matched pairs or sets of anything for these cars are getting more difficult by the day!
MJ

Aero426

Quote from: Mopar John on May 13, 2016, 09:17:32 AM
Very little shrinkage and they all applied just fine including the set of nose decals!

As a side note, finding matched pairs or sets of anything for these cars are getting more difficult by the day!
MJ

A real shame more weight is not given to Oem nose decals in the judging process. 

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Aero426 on May 13, 2016, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on May 13, 2016, 09:17:32 AM

MJ

A real shame more weight is not given to Oem nose decals in the judging process. 
I can really respect those who do the search and are rewarded with useable, paired NOS decals, but I wouldn't want to ruin a nicely restored wing car with some unuseable, frattered up NOS decals just to get a few extra points. I really doubt that more than a few of these decals even exist today.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arnie Cunningham

I think I have the other side somewhere.  I wouldn't use NOS nose decals because if you damage one the odds of finding another are almost zero.  And then they both have to be replaced with reproductions anyway.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Redbird

I'm not sure how I feel about reproduction stickers on a repainted car.

I completely understand a survivor with all the original paint and stickers. As seen in the hobby today; top notch.

Some repainted formerly rust bucket rot box, panels replaced all over, then an owner potentially brings up the point stressing original stickers? I think not.

It would be nice if ECS re-did the nose stickers. What do '71 'Cudas do, and do the original billboards have texture? Same questions for the original '70 Cuda hockey sticks?

Once the original paint is gone, it is gone. Do cars get judged as being correct only for having mis-matched lacquer and enamel paint? Having mis-matched original style paint should get a lot more points than having original stickers!

Aero426

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 13, 2016, 01:07:38 PM
I think I have the other side somewhere.  I wouldn't use NOS nose decals because if you damage one the odds of finding another are almost zero.  And then they both have to be replaced with reproductions anyway.

For what it is worth, the NOS nose decals on MoparJohn's car look SO right.  They are very noticeable. 

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on May 15, 2016, 10:36:30 PM
Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on May 13, 2016, 01:07:38 PM

For what it is worth, the NOS nose decals on MoparJohn's car look SO right.  They are very noticeable. 

Maybe he can post close ups of them?    :shruggy:   :cheers:

62 Max

These were N.O.S. 27 yrs ago.