News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Daytona NASCAR Wing......pics included

Started by A383Wing, April 11, 2016, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

I picked up this NASCAR Daytona wing back in the mid-90's to install on my car we built....found it in the "Little Nickel" for $200....the owner said it came off one of the real race cars back in the day, I only wished I had taken pictures of all the different colors of paint that was on the wing pieces as I was sanding it down for painting so we could have figured out which one of the race cars it actually came off of....

First picture is of the set screw holes to lock the horizontal section in place after adjusting it....

Second picture shows the screw-in studs in the uprights that the set screws tighten down on

Third pic shows the hole towards the front of each upright that the cable passes through, size of hole is 17/64"

Fourth pic shows the outside of the upright where it's drilled straight down through the top of the upright so cable goes out the bottom

A383Wing

I found a piece of the original cable still stuck inside one of the uprights, size of cable is .125", it has a plastic sheath on it so total size of cable and sheath is .183"

First pic is all that's left of the original cable that was inside

Second pic shows the tube-brace assemblies that are attached to the inside of the uprights

Third pic shows the cable that comes down the top of the upright and out the tube

Fourth pic shows that this wing only has 3 studs per upright to attach to the car

A383Wing

The cable, which is .125" in diameter, goes up the vertical stanchion, then takes a sharp bend at the top of the upright to go through the hollow horizontal wing piece, and down the other upright to attach at the bottom of the braces in the trunk

First pic shows cable in the poorly drilled and hogged out upright

Second pic shows the holes and one of the welded in pieces for the set screws

Third pic shows how much travel the wing has in the "down" position

Fourth pic shows how much travel the wing has in the "up" position

A383Wing

That's about all the pics that I took today....if there is anything else you need pics of, let me know....

As far as I know Doug (Aero426) here on the forum has this same wing on his #7 race car also...he might be able to answer questions if I can't. From what I have read, the "cable in wing" was NASCAR Cup race cars only....

We are turning our purple clone Daytona into a copy of the #7 McCoy race car pictured below....just the outside of the car, it will still be street legal and retain it's complete stock street interior for cruising

our plan is to get this all done for the Aero Reunion in 2019 at Talladega.....we will drive our car again from NW Washington to the meet and back as we did in 1999

Hope to see a lot of people from here at the meet

Bryan

Hemi Runner

Thank you for posting all of these pictures. It will really help with putting a cable in mine.

1RareBird

Curious if you cut the frame support tubes off at the base or did you buy it that way? Did you get the reinforcement plates under the wing as well? Those were thick aluminum of course hand made.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

A383Wing

What you see above is the way I found and bought it. I did not get anything else, no plates under the quarter panels

Charger_Fan

What was the reason for the cable? Was it to help hold the horizontal wing in position once adjusted?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Aero426

Quote from: Charger_Fan on April 12, 2016, 11:33:42 AM
What was the reason for the cable? Was it to help hold the horizontal wing in position once adjusted?

It was to keep the pieces from flying away in the event of a crash.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Aero426 on April 12, 2016, 11:36:17 AM

It was to keep the pieces from flying away in the event of a crash.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

odcics2

Quote from: Hemi Runner on April 12, 2016, 07:01:05 AM
Thank you for posting all of these pictures. It will really help with putting a cable in mine.

The cable runs through the hollow, extruded aluminum, horizontal stabilizer. 
One long cable from driver side trunk floor, up the vertical, across and down the other vertical, attached to the pass side trunk floor.

Not one cable up each...   

If something happens, it all stays with the car.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

A383Wing

Yes, one long cable up, over, across, and down the other side....

No, that is what the 8 set screws were for, to keep the wing in the position once adjusted for the track that they were running at.

6bblgt

Quote from: A383Wing on April 11, 2016, 09:34:12 PMAs far as I know Doug (Aero426) here on the forum has this same wing on his #7 race car also...he might be able to answer questions if I can't. From what I have read, the "cable in wing" was NASCAR Cup race cars only....

I'll "ASSUME" Doug's wing is Superbird vs. Daytona?  All other thing s being similar or equal .....

A383Wing

Yea, Doug has the 'Bird version of the race wing