News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Want my street Charger to go faster

Started by AWSOM50, April 03, 2016, 11:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

So, maybe I'm spoilt by my Hellcat and other modern cars, but my 69 Charger feels a little slow.  It's cranking out like 120 decibels but being overtaken by Audis. It's a street car for fun, not drag.  I don't expect it to do be able to do 11s, but I want more punch with stuff I can do myself ideally (I really like tweaking stuff).  What do you suggest to change please?  Any quick wins or am I looking to have to change the gear ratios, or even the block?

Sorry for so much info and the long post, I'm happy to blow some cash on this beast so don't hold back with any clever ideas you guys may have....  I don't care about fuel economy, just street performance and the pride of doing as much of it I can myself.

BTW, she idles nice, drives good, leaves black lines in 1st and makes my other cars sound girly... so it's not all bad  :icon_smile_big:

If I was to guess I'd estimate 400 HP at the crank at the moment.  Maybe 15 second quarter?  :eek2:  I'm pretty sure it was faster before (it sat for years).

ENGINE
440 with 493 stroker crank, circa 4000 miles on it, built about 8 years ago
.590 Mopar mechanical cam (I do like the lopey idle at the lights)
Iron heads
Edelbrock Torker I intake
Edelbrock air intake
Throttle on the carb opens fully (after it sat for years the cable got loose and I wondered what was wrong!)
Holley 80508-3 carb (4 barrel, 750cfm) w/ vacuum secondaries
Holley has power valve blocker currently if I remember, might be wrong
NGK XR5 v-power plugs (not sure of gap)
Stock coil with resistor
Points system (not electronic)
MSD 8546 dizzy
Stock looking cap, wire brushed terminals and they look OK
I set my shift light at 5000 RPM, too scared to push it higher... no idea where it should redline
Had timing adjusted recently by a local classic USA car guy I was lucky to find which woke it up a little bit.

TRANS
Stock trans with manual valve body + low band apply
PTC 9.5in torque converter (I think, custom built, long time ago)

DRIVETRAIN
3.23 gears rear axle
26" tyres
Can't feel any trans slippage

FUELLING
Fuel lines from tank 3/8" OD
Metal fuel tubes to carb 3/8" OD
Fuel hose to carb 1/2" OD
Note: I had fuel pipe blockages a few years ago, wasn't the filter, had to suck it out.. lots of crap came out.  Maybe rusty tank?
Stock fuel pump

EXHAUST
2.5" straight through, old, rusty, few minor leaks
Glasspacks
Summit headers (I still have the stock manifolds)

COOLING
Stock fan and rad (seems to be 25" x 18")
Trans cooler
Runs hot when warm outside or idling, loses power over 210F

BODY
Full trim

(Anything I missed?)

Side question: Since I'm measuring my fuelling as outer diameter, is my fuelling likely 3/8" or 5/16"?

I'm hoping the only answer isn't just to change the gears to 4.10s or rebuild the block...

Many thanks to all for any thoughts....
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

BSB67

"Want my street Charger to go faster"

Me too.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

birdsandbees

JATO might help!

It is what it is, a 47 year old 3900 lb car.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

RCCDrew

I'm sure there will be more useful suggestions, but aluminum heads,  you have many choices on those. 3" free flowing exhaust, and step up to a 4-6 speed trans.
Power adders are always nice too.

68X426

Prepare yourself for this - - - - - 4.10 gears !!!!

Really, it's a cheap fast fix, all things considered.  4.10 that beast and you will have lots of fun.

:drive:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

birdsandbees

In all seriousness, it's gotta run better than 15's.

I wish I could find it, but I have a time slip from Luskville Speedway back in 1980 running my bone stock 383 'Bee x 4 gear, with 2.94 gears on crappy old 14" Tornado tires at 13.8x and 98.xx miles per hour. Even slopped the 2nd to 3rd shift getting that.

..and YES, I think you've been spoiled by the Hellcat ! :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

dual fours

Some old guy asked that same question 47 years ago. "Hey guys how can I get more speed out of my 1922 Dodge, I'm tired getting smoked by these new 1969 model cars." The other fellow answered "Well it is a 47 year old car you know."
In all seriousness, you can't go wrong with new lower gears in the rear as your first less expensive move.  :popcrn: 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

XH29N0G

The gears will make a big difference, but I would first figure out what the power band of the engine is.  I would also make sure the engine is properly tuned.

My guess (and I could be completely wrong) is that your cam calls for an RPM band that is different than the redline you have chosen. 

You may be looking for low RPM torque to get you going, rather than setting it up for higher RPMs, but I don't know.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

WHITE AND RED 69

A 493 stroker with 400HP at the crank? That sounds a bit low...I'd get the car on a dyno and see where you are really at and then go from there.

I'd also do a compression test and see how healthy the motor is. If it all checks out good I'd add some aluminum heads, ditch the stock ignition setup and get a performance ignition setup like Firecore.

4:10 gears would be fun for quick runs but its gonna SUCK on the freeways. Only way I'd go with 4:10's is if you have an overdrive transmission or Gearvendors overdrive. And even then I'd go with something like 3.73 with overdrive. You'll have plenty to get that thing moving and will still be able to cruise on the freeway at 70 mph without screaming at high rpms.

Also sounds like you need to get your cooling system under control. Do you have a fan shroud on it?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

c00nhunterjoe

That grind cam wont like manifolds, needs headers.
750 carb is too small on a 500" motor. 950cfm
Torker 1 is old school but not bad. Torker 2 will flow more.
Hotter ignition
3.91s will do with the torque output. 4.10s if you want lots of fun.
Drag radials.
Drag radials
Did i mention drag radials?

BSB67

I think the Summit headers are on it now.  Not really clear though.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Okay, here goes:

1) Trick Flow 240 Power Port heads,
2) 1.6 Rockers
3) 1.45 venturi "950" carb
4) At least 1 7/8 headers (now this car could probably use 2" primaries) and 3" exhaust,
5) At least a M1 single plane
6) Put the cam in at 102 ICL
7) Put some kind of electronic ignition on it
8) Shift around 6500

Don't change the gear.

If you have 11.5 CR, it should be 650 + hp, run high 10s at 125 mph.  Should run toe to toe with the Hellcat.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

myk

OP if you're going to chase modern machines like your Hellcat with your 50 year old Charger, don't forget the chassis and suspension modifications as well.  You could have a 1,000 HP motor but if you can't get that power to the ground then you'll still be turning 15 second quarter miles...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AWSOM50

Thanks to everyone so far, I really appreciate this.  I know this car has a lot more capability.  So as a result I've spent half the day on summit choosing bits....

Basically, I had a stock 440 car and went and put a street/strip block in it.  Then life got busy and I never got round to upgrading other parts accordingly.  Now I think about it, I think I remember the guy telling me the motor ran 11s (or 12s, I forget) in a street trim challenger.

To clarify one point, summit headers are fitted, I just meant I still have the old manifolds available.   By the way I think its 10.5 CR from memory.

So, first off I'm planning to do: 950 cfm carb (holley 4150 hp), intake manifold (performer RPM I'm thinking after research), MSD 6AL-2 ignition + MSD Blaster 8200 coil, 3/8" fuel lines + pump (edelbrock 1723), and 3" exhaust with some cherry bombs.  If anyone has the time to sense check these bits I'd really appreciate it.

Compression test and dyno sounds like a good idea too.  Maybe the oil pressure problem will be revealed :( Will get this done ASAP as it could derail this whole thing if I need a rebuild.

New tires / suspension - maybe when I actually get it to break traction above 30 mph... lol

Regarding the 4.10 gears, this could be on the list after all.  The problem is with my manual valve body I'm scared to downshift to 1st on the move or while on the gas (even though it has low band apply).  So I find myself stuck in 2nd gear.  I never found a concrete answer on whether it's safe to do so.... I have no bolt in sprag or trans shield.

That's why I'm thinking the performer RPM intake for the low RPM torque while I'm stuck in 2nd?
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

BSB67

Don't know how to say this without sounding like the smart azz that I am.  Changing the gear is about the silliest thing to do. 

If you like that cam, put the pieces on the motor that match it.  If not, you are just making the same mistake you made the first time but with different parts.  For as much money as the gear costs, you're half way to the TF heads and making real power.  Do people really think that a 650 hp 500 in motor needs a 4.10 gear to feel fast?  With his current gear, he might be able to pull the tires off the ground with a good converter and tire.

Anyways,  if your motor is running right, you can decide how you like the 3.23 then decide what you will replace it with, because it will only take a few week before you blow the caps out of the 8 3/4, then you can put in a Dana with a 3.54 if you like.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

cdr

Quote from: BSB67 on April 04, 2016, 05:26:29 PM
Don't know how to say this without sounding like the smart azz that I am.  Changing the gear is about the silliest thing to do. 

If you like that cam, put the pieces on the motor that match it.  If not, you are just making the same mistake you made the first time but with different parts.  For as much money as the gear costs, you're half way to the TF heads and making real power.  Do people really think that a 650 hp 500 in motor needs a 4.10 gear to feel fast?  With his current gear, he might be able to pull the tires off the ground with a good converter and tire.

Anyways,  if your motor is running right, you can decide how you like the 3.23 then decide what you will replace it with, because it will only take a few week before you blow the caps out of the 8 3/4, then you can put in a Dana with a 3.54 if you like.

I had 3.91 gears behind my 512, now 3.23, still yank your teeth out from a dead stop.  big inch engine does not need as much gear on the street.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

what CDR said you can overcome tall gears with more HP to the engine adders.......

myk

I think the OP should worry about the body work first.  All the power in the world won't matter if the body cancer is out of control...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69wannabe

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 03, 2016, 07:22:33 PM
That grind cam wont like manifolds, needs headers.
750 carb is too small on a 500" motor. 950cfm
Torker 1 is old school but not bad. Torker 2 will flow more.
Hotter ignition
3.91s will do with the torque output. 4.10s if you want lots of fun.
Drag radials.
Drag radials
Did i mention drag radials?

Exactly!!  :yesnod: and if not a set of aluminum heads have the cast heads fitted with bigger valves and some port work done and that will help some too!

Mike DC

I don't think drag radials are gonna make the car feel faster just goofing around on the street.  Better heads might do more, at least at higher RPMs. 

IMO 3.23 is the lowest gear with a lot of streetability, especially on an automatic.  You can spin the motor 3500 rpm on the highway but that doesn't mean it's sensible.  These days the OEMs consider a 3.23 gear to be average or a bit low - WITH an overdrive.   

cdr

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 06, 2016, 09:53:28 AM

I don't think drag radials are gonna make the car feel faster just goofing around on the street.  Better heads might do more, at least at higher RPMs. 

IMO 3.23 is the lowest gear with a lot of streetability, especially on an automatic.  You can spin the motor 3500 rpm on the highway but that doesn't mean it's sensible.  These days the OEMs consider a 3.23 gear to be average or a bit low - WITH an overdrive.   

yes i have 3.23 and overdrive  :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

69wannabe

3.23's are pretty good gears but I have always liked a 3.55 gear. The 3.91's are fun but I always go back to a 3.55. If I was running an automatic I would like the 3.23 more but it seems to lag a bit with a 4 speed pulling out into traffic.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 69wannabe on April 06, 2016, 08:58:34 PM
3.23's are pretty good gears but I have always liked a 3.55 gear. The 3.91's are fun but I always go back to a 3.55. If I was running an automatic I would like the 3.23 more but it seems to lag a bit with a 4 speed pulling out into traffic.

you just downshift.....that's what I do, but It gets violent downshifting from 4th to 3rd....