News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Wheels

Started by Todd Wilson, March 23, 2016, 09:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

I am about to go through my 71 Charger and get it back on the street from sitting 3 years. I am wanting to get a new set of Mag 500 wheels. It currently has some very old (30 yr old ) Western Chrome wheels on it with 15 inch 60's out back and 14inch 70's on the front.   Car originally had 14 inch wheels on it.  It has air shocks on the rear now and I have to have them aired up to keep the edges of the 60's from rubbing. Anyone in the back seat or  stuff in the trunk and they can rub going over bumps. I am wanting to make this into a road/tour car and want the same size wheel and tire clear around for flat tire protection.  I do have a set of 14 inch Mag 500's but just don't like the look of 14's all around on the 3rd gens. Was wondering how big of a 15 inch tire can be put on rear and front keeping them all the same. I also want the to remove the air shocks. to improve the ride and handling. Also thinking of a disc brake upgrade at some point so going the 15 route for the future is something I would like to do.   Anyways interested in info and photos of 3rd gens with wheel combos. Thanks!

Todd

71charger_fan

15x7 - 255-60 front, 15x8 - 275-60 rear. I carry a 225-70 spare as the diameter is roughly halfway between the front and rear. If I need the spare on the rear, I'll just drive far enough to get off the highway and call for a flatbed.

71charger_fan

Here's a look at the front (post recent repaint).

HPP

The backspace dimension on the wheels is the key to getting things to clear the fender lip. If you have some 30 year old wheels on it, chances are they have a very shallow backspace, like 3-3.5" that push the wheel and tire too far out and introduce fender interference. By increasing this number to something around around 4.25-5", you can get a wider wheel and tire in place and eliminate the interference.

With a a 4.5-4.75" backspace, it would be possible to put 15x8 with 255/60 all around if you want a square set up.

brad mcintyre

mine is first gen my local spring shop re arced springs and added a leaf said he has done most area mopars 300 bucks in canada

ACUDANUT

I run 15x8 in the rear of my 72. I believe they are 255 50 15. 4-4 1/2 inch backspace. Cragars.
Todd I believe I have a complete front disk brake set up for your Charger.  I live in Gardner Ks.
Also have a cool Charger-73 Roadrunner hood (combined together) that would fit on your 71.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 28, 2016, 06:43:41 AM
I run 15x8 in the rear of my 72. I believe they are 255 50 15. 4-4 1/2 inch backspace. Cragars.
Todd I believe I have a complete front disk brake set up for your Charger.  I live in Gardner Ks.
Also have a cool Charger-73 Roadrunner hood (combined together) that would fit on your 71.

Might look you up sometime on the disc brake deal. My thoughts are to go 15 inch and be ready for a disc brake conversion at some point!

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: HPP on March 25, 2016, 08:58:57 AM
The backspace dimension on the wheels is the key to getting things to clear the fender lip. If you have some 30 year old wheels on it, chances are they have a very shallow backspace, like 3-3.5" that push the wheel and tire too far out and introduce fender interference. By increasing this number to something around around 4.25-5", you can get a wider wheel and tire in place and eliminate the interference.

With a a 4.5-4.75" backspace, it would be possible to put 15x8 with 255/60 all around if you want a square set up.

I was hoping for a 15x8 all the way around .  I suppose I need to call some of the wheel outfits and see what is out there and start shopping prices. I want the widest tire possible, Same on all 4 corners and be able to run regular shocks.  This is going to be a road car and am not worried about keeping 600hp to the ground.

Todd