News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Damper and Dizzy replacement

Started by Alan73Charger, March 18, 2016, 03:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan73Charger

So I'm trying to cover all the basics of things to do when the motor is out of my 73.  With the new cam, intake, and 600 CFM carb I'm hoping for about 110 more HP out of this old original 318 by time I'm done.  Gears and headers will be the next project, right now I'm just interested in under the hood items. What else should I upgrade while it's easy to do?  I have a new water pump and an 1720 edelbrock fuel pump.  The cam is a Comp Cam XE256H, with a .447/.455 lift.  Anything else I should be looking at replacing that's coming off anyway?

1.  With a new cam and timing chain should I replace the damper?  Any suggestions on what?  I've seen them from $90 to $450...  
2.  On the ignition has anyone used the mancini racing/prestolite distributor that's supposed to match up with the old mopar performance one?

http://www.manciniracing.com/marapreldi.html

Anyone that's rebuilt a motor please chime in and let me know some of the things you did while the motor was out.

Thanks.

Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

crj1968

I don't think you'll gain 110HP out of a cam and a 4bbl. Maybe 20....(unless you are doing total rebuild?)   :shruggy:

But for your question; I see no reason to change the damper or the distributor.

Things to do while it's out (if not doing full rebuild)
-head gaskets, maybe find some swirl port #....302 heads? this will help HP
-water pump (easy to do while out)
-oil pan gasket
- looser trans converter?

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on March 18, 2016, 07:45:25 PM
I don't think you'll gain 110HP out of a cam and a 4bbl. Maybe 20....(unless you are doing total rebuild?)   :shruggy:

But for your question; I see no reason to change the damper or the distributor.

Things to do while it's out (if not doing full rebuild)
-head gaskets, maybe find some swirl port #....302 heads? this will help HP
-water pump (easy to do while out)
-oil pan gasket
- looser trans converter?

It is a total rebuild.   Water pump is already bought.  Hadn't thought about the trans converter.  Thanks for the input. 

crj1968

Ok gotchya. I am a big fan of 318's.  There is an article....hold on.....

This!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/113-0304-318-small-block-build/

Pete in NH

Hi Alan,

The 318 was Chrysler's basic "grocery getter" V8 and was built for reliability rather than performance. By 1973 with emissions changes it was really getting "detuned". The 4BBL and cam will certainly wake up your 318 a bit but, I too think 110 HP is way too optimistic.

Small block engines don't get too much attention in Chargers. I would suggest you go over to forabodies.com and look around their small block forum. I think you'll find a lot of ideas on building a 318. Small blocks are much more popular in A bodies.

302 swirl heads will help as suggested and you might want to look into 318 Magnum exhaust manifolds as found on some early 90's engines. There were 2 1/2" versions that were equal to the earlier 340 manifolds. The 340 was Chrysler performance small block and many of the 340 performance pieces will work on a 318. The Magnum manifolds may fit better in a B body installation than they do in an A body. Headers can be such a pain to deal with. You will certainly want to go with a dual exhaust system off those manifolds or headers if you use them.

You might also look in the electrical forum on a bodies for ideas on the GM based HEI ignition system. I think you can certainly turn your 318 into a nice highway cruiser with a few changes.   

Alan73Charger

Alan73Charger

Quote from: Pete in NH on March 19, 2016, 06:34:59 AM
Hi Alan,

The 318 was Chrysler's basic "grocery getter" V8 and was built for reliability rather than performance. By 1973 with emissions changes it was really getting "detuned". The 4BBL and cam will certainly wake up your 318 a bit but, I too think 110 HP is way too optimistic.

Small block engines don't get too much attention in Chargers. I would suggest you go over to forabodies.com and look around their small block forum. I think you'll find a lot of ideas on building a 318. Small blocks are much more popular in A bodies.

302 swirl heads will help as suggested and you might want to look into 318 Magnum exhaust manifolds as found on some early 90's engines. There were 2 1/2" versions that were equal to the earlier 340 manifolds. The 340 was Chrysler performance small block and many of the 340 performance pieces will work on a 318. The Magnum manifolds may fit better in a B body installation than they do in an A body. Headers can be such a pain to deal with. You will certainly want to go with a dual exhaust system off those manifolds or headers if you use them.

You might also look in the electrical forum on a bodies for ideas on the GM based HEI ignition system. I think you can certainly turn your 318 into a nice highway cruiser with a few changes.   

Thanks Pete.  I have an account over on A bodies already I believe.  I might check that out.   The car already has dual exhaust but separate pipes coming off the stock cast iron log manifolds.   I was thinking of an H pipe set up when I get to the exhaust someday.