News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

7inch rim and 8 inch rim on front of 69

Started by roger01, April 10, 2006, 02:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger01

ok i searched before i asked but couldn find a deinate answer ....but on a 7 inch x 15 rim i understand that i need 3 1/2 backspace...... if i wanted to use an 8 inch rim on front  would it work without rubbing and what should the backspacing be with a 245/60/15 tire ......thanks..... after this question im done with this  ...  its giving me a head ach ....lol

andyf

Are you sure you want a 3.5 inch bs with a 7 inch rim?  I'd think that you would want 4.5 bs with a 7 inch rim.  Ma Mopar usually had 1/2 inch of offset on her rims.
A 17x8 with 1/2 inch of offset would be a 5 inch backspace.  I'd think that would fit in a B2 body with plenty of room.

8WHEELER

The average BS on a 15x8 rim is 4in to 4-1/2in, you can have custom sizes but to will run into problems up
front with a 3in BS on a 15x8 rim. I put on a set of 15x8 wheels up front with 4 1/2 BS and I thought it was
to close for comfort, so I went to 15x7 with 4 1/4 BS.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mike DC

A 15-inch rim with 5" of backspacing will NOT clear the ball joints on a stock 68-70 B-body front suspension. 

The new 15x8.5" General Lee wheels proved that little fact recently, much to our annoyance.

Jon Smith

8" rim with 4" backspace out front 245/60/15 tyres

deputycrawford

I run Torque Thrust II 15x8 rims with a 4 1/4 inch back spacing with 245/60-15 on them. I have no probelm with them except on extreme turns. It is so light that I haven't changed a thing.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

DodgeChargerNeeded

I have 15x8 Magnums with 245/60 on the front with no problems, i'm unsure of the BS. they were already on the car.
Jeff

roger01

ok ... last time i ask ....i want to go 8 inch on the front of my 69 with 245 x60 x15 tires.....4 1/4 back spacing is deputys vote .. anyone else have input.... .thanks....its almost time to order some rims and i want to double check  :icon_smile_big:

TylerCharger69

I know that I inquired American Racing about a set of Vectors that they are reissuing.  The 15 X 8 will work in the rear, but not on the front.  You'd have to use the 15 X 7 for the fronts.  I'm not too sure about the backspacing on those though

deputycrawford

Roger 01. I love mine to death. Like I said, they only rub once in a great while if i'm turning while going up a steep drive. I can turn my torsions and raise the car a 1/4 inch and stop the problem but I don't rub enough to bother. I take the driveway at an angle and it doesn't happen anymore. http://www.geocities.com/kc8lbo/    check out my Charger at Milan Dragway on the geocities site. You might like the look of the fatties in the front. Oh, those are 275/60-15 drag radials on the rear on 8 inch wide rims also. Just go with the 4 1/2 inch back spacing on the rear. Let me know what you think of the look.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Wakko

Jon, that's a great pic.  Could you email me a non copyright version? I'd like to use it as a desktop at work.   wakkoss at aol dot com.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Jon Smith

QuoteJon, that's a great pic.  Could you email me a non copyright version? I'd like to use it as a desktop at work.   wakkoss at aol dot com
I can at the weekend. its on my brothers computer at my parents house

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 11, 2006, 06:17:09 AM

A 15-inch rim with 5" of backspacing will NOT clear the ball joints on a stock 68-70 B-body front suspension. 

The new 15x8.5" General Lee wheels proved that little fact recently, much to our annoyance.

OK, that is good to know, experience gained at your cost though, sadly. But then it seems that 4,5inch backspacing will be maximum on the 8inch front wheel. But will that backspacing give the same amount of clearance on each side?
Giving roome for either a 245 or 255 or 265 tire.
69 charger RT