News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 question for friend

Started by Drache, February 26, 2016, 07:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

A friend gave me a call today and was asking a question.

He has an old dodge 318 in a pickup. Old original 2bbl.

He was hoping to get a little more top end out of it. He was wondering if you could just grab a 4bbl manifold and carb and get enough of a "boost" from that. People are telling him though that he would also need to redo the heads as the stock ports wouldn't work?

He's not looking at making a racing motor, he just wants a little pick up in speed for the pacing lane.

I don't know enough about engines to give a clear answer so I told him I would ask here.

I was reading that the Edelbrock 2176 manifold was made for this sort of thing 2bbl to 4bbl using stock heads?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

BLK 68 R/T

As long as it's not a wide block 318 then I don't see any issues with changing from 2 to 4 barrel? Can-do wide block as well but the manifolds are different from the standard 318.

RallyeMike

You can get a moderate perf boost with a simple 4bbl swap from a 2bbl without any other changes. Just intake and carb. Don't expect the difference between night and day.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

Alan73Charger

2176 intake will work great for non EGR system.  What carb is he looking at?

Only other thing other than the dual exhaust already mentioned is that he should consider a new camshaft.  The 318 camshaft won't fully utilize the upgraded intake and carb.  He will see much more of a performance lift if he can afford to do that camshaft.  Edelbrock can probably hook him up with a camshaft and timing chain set for about $300 more.  (I'm in the middle of a similar upgrade on my 73 charger)
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

crj1968

I agree I've woken up many o' 318's with a dual plane, small 4bbl and decent ignition.

I think it's worth trying and doing without going further....you would need these parts if you went further anyways.  :Twocents:

I believe Edelbrock sells a decent small block combo kit.

RCCDrew

Or you could find an old intake and carb locally for cheap. Be sure the carb is small, like a 600.

Alan73Charger

Quote from: crj1968 on March 03, 2016, 03:47:29 AM
I agree I've woken up many o' 318's with a dual plane, small 4bbl and decent ignition.

I think it's worth trying and doing without going further....you would need these parts if you went further anyways.  :Twocents:

When you say "decent ignition" what would u be doing?  New dizzy?  More?  My 73 has electronic ignition but I hear people talking all the time about not being a big fan of it and how they would upgrade it.
Wife said spend more time with me and less time with that Mopar.
I actually love being single!

scratchinfotraction

best bang for the buck with a lopo 2v 318 truck keeping the 2v cam/carb in there would be

1) change the low stall truck TC to a stock high stall TC. this alone will make a 2v 318 a little more peppy.

2)add headers/duels to the 2v 318 will be the 2nd best bang for the buck.

3) add a couple other things it will get better.

Holley STREET Dominator intake
600cfm edelbrock/holley carb
cam swap
stock high stall TC
headers/duels
3.55 gears
235/75/15 tires

I have done a few teens with these combo of parts keeping a stock long block 318 in a truck.

another option is add 360 heads for more flow. this drops comp ratio a little but makes up for it with more breathing/higher rpm. also a better intake/cam choice can be made.

for the Ign system I like to use a stock points dist with a pertronix points conversion, then add a FBO mech advance limiter plate/spring kit to get the initial/total timing set.

I use a vac gauge to see how much the engine wants for initial and adjust mech with plate for total.

crj1968

Quote from: Alan73Charger on March 03, 2016, 08:50:18 PM
Quote from: crj1968 on March 03, 2016, 03:47:29 AM

When you say "decent ignition" what would u be doing?  New dizzy?  More?  My 73 has electronic ignition but I hear people talking all the time about not being a big fan of it and how they would upgrade it.

Decent meaning no points- Mopar electronic or an MSD6 is all I've really messed with. I've had no issues with either, but I'm just a street car guy so that's all I've needed.