News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fi-Tech Fuel Injection Question:

Started by Captain D, February 07, 2016, 06:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I was finally able to drop my Charger off for the Fi-Tech fuel injection kit. But, I was just curious to ask about the lead additive and Star Tron fuel stabilizer to combat the ill effects of ethanol in today's gas. I used to run both in my Charger (the lead additive and Star Tron) for my carburetor, but what is your take on them being used with this new unit and the O2 sensors? Would the lead affect them? If so, do you think that the the fuel stabilizer will be the safer of the two additives seeing how folks even use it in vehicles with fuel injection today (to maintain clean injectors), etc.?

Thanks again for your time & for any replies,
Aaron

myk

Looks like everyone is buying into the Fitech stuff, but since it's relatively new to everyone here, maybe you should contact Fitech itself about any future concerns...

69wannabe

As said above, just email fi tech and ask them about it and they usually reply within 24 hours.

Captain D

Thank you gents for the replies,

Yeah, I called Friday and talked to a rep by the name of Bryce from Fi-Tech. I asked him my question above, but he replied quite rudely, "I don't know what type of question that is and would rather not talk about it." So, whatever that means is anyone's guess but I suppose I'm trying to take preemptive action to protect the new 02 sensors. But, I'm calling back tomorrow to: 1.) Find out the answers seeing how I didn't just buy a pound of cheese from the local deli for $3.99, but a $1,500 part. 2.) And, to report Brae's so-called quality customer service. I'll post up what I find out for the benefits of others here so they know as well.

Thanks again and & chat again soon,
Aaron  

cdr

do not use lead with an o2 sensor, as far as other additives the bottle they come in will say o2 sensor safe or not  :Twocents: if not call Star tron
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

The FI Tech guy you want to talk to is Ken, he knows his product forwards and backwards.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thanks again,

I made some more phone calls and although the lead additive is not recommended, the verdict is that the Star Tron is actually ideal to use since the 02 sensors / injectors will be cleaned because the gas will be clean. That's cool because it's one less thing to add when filling up. On that note, however, I'm a little weary about my 'leftover' lead from the late 2015 season. We had a mild winter and I was actually able to enjoy the car til' about mid December. Because I didn't know about Fi-Tech at the time, and I just figured that I would always have the carburetor anyway, I naturally kept some gas leftover in the tank (with some additive also 'leftover' in there, as well). Well, fast forward til' February - I ended up buying the Fi-Tech kit and with clear roads and weather on the horizon, I excitedly jumped into the Charger for the 1rst time since December and drove it to the shop for the upgrades while forgetting that I used to run the lead additive. Fortunately, I didn't add any lead this time round' (only a little Star Tron) when putting in about $12 worth of gas. I let the car warm up and run for about 20 minutes + the shop is a half hour away, so I am praying to the car gods that between my home and the shop I used up whatever lead was leftover.

From here on out, I'll be sure that no more lead is used. But, do you guys feel that my new 02 sensors will be okay if we fire up the car in the coming days with this new Fi-Tech unit installed and there is small remnants of the lead additive still leftover?

Thank you for any input once more...
Aaron     

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Captain D

I agree & played it safe by having them simply drain the existing fuel from the tank. The shop noted that they have machines to pump, so its not going to be an issue at all. So, this is great news + peace of mind. Thanks again for input.

c00nhunterjoe

They are installing a fuel injection electric pump on your car. Will take about 45 seconds to drain a full tank of fuel with it.

Captain D

Hi there Joe - good seeing ya again!  ;D Great to hear that it's an easy job (draining the gas). There goes a 1/2 tank of fuel down the drain, but oh well I realize that it'll be worth it. Hey y'all, as a side note, it's a sight to see ol' Joe here drive. This guy has a beast of a Charger and it's bad a$$ indeed!  :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

Captain D

Update on the Fi-Tech install: Apparently, there was a batch of defective units. And, my luck, I had to be one to receive one of those kits. So, the shop is in the process of sending stuff back, getting replacements, etc. They too noted the tech guy by the name of 'Bryce' having an arrogant attitude when trying to simply get answers. I'll be sure to let my shop know to speak with Ken. Anyhow, this was a bit of a surprise seeing we've heard nothing but glowing reviews on this product thus far. Things are getting replaced, sure, but just wanted to post an update...

JR

Wow, that is a surprise. What are the symptoms of a defective unit?

I got mine back in December. No problems so far. But they are a young company who have suddenly found themselves struggling to keep up with demand, so I guess something had to go wrong sooner or later.

When does your replacement unit arrive?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Captain D

Yeah, a surprise to both me and the shop as well. I sent a lengthy email to Ken (owner) stating the recent experiences now 3 weeks ongoing (provided that there are no more defective parts that arrive), which should have been done in a fraction of this time. As far as the symptoms, the units came as 'dead in the water' from the get-go. We have excellent grounds, connections, etc. This is a high-end performance shop doing the install and this is cake for them, but all we can do is simply wait and see what the next batch will bring. This is why I wanted to get this done during the winter vs. during the spring / summer when the season is in full swing with events. Get this, the tech guy Bryce suggested that the shop themselves rebuild the fuel command center instead of mailing it back! Ridiculous! Rightfully so, the shop said that they're not going to touch it and be responsible. I sent a strongly worded note to Ken stating that he 1.) needs to deal with Bryce, 2.) probably should offer some form of credit off the $1,400 for 3 weeks of run-a-round thus far. A few guys in the shop were looking to purchase this kit for their classic rides, so they're looking to see what happens and I feel that it's only fair to voice my experiences here on the forum for those looking to potentially make future purchase with them, as well.

Updates to come...  

John_Kunkel

Hmmm, my unit was test run on one of two "mule engines" they have; unless they no longer test run them, the defective parts must have been other than the throttle body.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1974dodgecharger

WOW!!!  guess I will wait before buying their dual EFI kit for injection on a blower then....great prices for 2 grand I can two of their EFI units on my roots and have an awesome setup with no more tuning issues messing with carbs etc....My blower carbs alone cost 1800 bucks for 200 more I could of got their kit that supports 1200HP.....

69wannabe

Quote from: Captain D on February 20, 2016, 12:13:31 PM
Yeah, a surprise to both me and the shop as well. I sent a lengthy email to Ken (owner) stating the recent experiences now 3 weeks ongoing (provided that there are no more defective parts that arrive), which should have been done in a fraction of this time. As far as the symptoms, the units came as 'dead in the water' from the get-go. We have excellent grounds, connections, etc. This is a high-end performance shop doing the install and this is cake for them, but all we can do is simply wait and see what the next batch will bring. This is why I wanted to get this done during the winter vs. during the spring / summer when the season is in full swing with events. Get this, the tech guy Bryce suggested that the shop themselves rebuild the fuel command center instead of mailing it back! Ridiculous! Rightfully so, the shop said that they're not going to touch it and be responsible. I sent a strongly worded note to Ken stating that he 1.) needs to deal with Bryce, 2.) probably should offer some form of credit off the $1,400 for 3 weeks of run-a-round thus far. A few guys in the shop were looking to purchase this kit for their classic rides, so they're looking to see what happens and I feel that it's only fair to voice my experiences here on the forum for those looking to potentially make future purchase with them, as well.

Updates to come...  

What part of the kit was defective?? The throttle body or the command center?? I hope I didn't wind up with a bad unit too!! I'm close to getting mine up and running but still got some other things to get done before starting it up. What was the "bad kit" doing, no start pretty much? Just don't want to dissect this thing if mine doesn't start!!

Captain D

Quick update: First off, many thanks to everyone for the many posts and being that 'shoulder to cry on,'  ;). But, overall, things are starting to come around. The shop noted that Fi-Tech really stepped it up and delivered quality replacements this time. By me contacting Ken directly (bypassing Bryce the buffoon), the shop added, they were able to make some real progress to the point that everything is now finally installed and test runs will be done these next two days so that the car will be ready to leave the shop as early as this upcoming weekend after the unit self-adjusts and is double-checked, etc. They even demonstrated to me while I was in the shop just how easy the car starts up now.

To answer your question - actually both the fuel command center and throttle body were bad. The shop knew immediately as both components were simply dead at the get-go (no start). Ken noted that his company is so new and quite busy that every so often a unit slips through the cracks - and mine, of course, was that one! All I can say after this experience is to hold onto your warranty just in case. In short, the shop likes this set-up and was impressed, so I wouldn't rule it out based on my sole experience for those thinking about going with it. Like all things, I suppose there runs the risk of one out of a thousand that is defective in practically anything we buy.

More updates and pictures to come once we leave the shop in a few days. Thank you again there gents...  

69wannabe

Sounds great!! If the weather will cooperate here for just a few days I will be able to see if my Fi tech set up is going to do good. It's so cold and crappy here I just don't feel like going out to the shop and messing around much. I got one more sub frame connector to install and then I will set it back on all four's and finish putting the rest of it together.

68CoronetRT

How does it run so far? This setup is looking very much in the future for my car.

TexasStroker

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on February 25, 2016, 09:15:13 PM
How does it run so far? This setup is looking very much in the future for my car.

Same here!  I am very interested in going this route since seeing Summit tweet an install video a few weeks ago.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

69wannabe

I haven't got mine up and running just yet. I did get the other sub frame connector installed today and maybe sunday I will put it back on all fours and I have to put the alternator and fan back on and wire up the fuel pump and see what happens. Got to work tomorrow so maybe sunday I can get it together and see if it's going to run or not!! Hopefully I didn't wind up with one of the bad units!! That would suck having to return it and wait for another set up to arrive!!

TexasStroker

Quote from: 69wannabe on February 26, 2016, 09:22:58 PM
I haven't got mine up and running just yet. I did get the other sub frame connector installed today and maybe sunday I will put it back on all fours and I have to put the alternator and fan back on and wire up the fuel pump and see what happens. Got to work tomorrow so maybe sunday I can get it together and see if it's going to run or not!! Hopefully I didn't wind up with one of the bad units!! That would suck having to return it and wait for another set up to arrive!!

No rush...I understand the time constraints.  Hopefully it all goes well Sunday and you are cruising a tighter, easier starting Charger!  I've got tons of parts I need time to get on...I think my subframe connectors date back to 1999 or so, lol.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Captain D

Hi all,

My Charger is done with this unit finally installed - my plan is to go for that test within the next day or two. I'll be sure to post reviews / pics. Please keep us updated on all of the other installs of this product, as well! 

Chat soon,
Aaron