News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fitting a cd player in a 68 charger

Started by AWSOM50, April 09, 2006, 03:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

hi guys, first post here.  I'd appreciate some advice.

I have a 68 charger, and want to install a CD player in it somehow.  Ideally I'd like it mounted under the dash (i want to keep the original radio), it kinda fits under the ashtray but there doesn't seem to be enough room without it sticking out? 

What have you guys done?

Thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome to the site :cheers:

I used an under dash mounting kit from www.crutchfield.com   Had to modify it a bit in the rear to sit flush.....

Heres the kit......

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1lvSAHZK5bF/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=under+dash&i=120999000

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AWSOM50

That looks really good, thanks.

can you still open the ashtray compartment?  I need to use the cigarette lighter for satnav..  I guess I could just take the door off.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: AWSOM50 on April 10, 2006, 05:15:06 AM
That looks really good, thanks.

can you still open the ashtray compartment?

Yes.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Recharger

I think you would have problems opening the ashtray in a 68 if you mount it down there.   the 69 ashtrays tilt forward so there's no interference, but the 68 doors slide straight down and I don't think it would clear the radio.  I guess it depends on how deep the radio is and how far back you can mount it.  My interior is gutted right now, so I can't check any dimensions...

I think I've heard of a few different members who have mounted aftermarket radios in the glovebox area.  Again, I've never rigged up anything like this (yet), so maybe someone who has already done it can offer more advice...

AWSOM50

ok, I had another look and there's no way I could get a 7 inch deep DIN unit in there.  It hits some plastic pipe at the back.  Unless I tilt it downwards at an angle.  Is that what you have done 6T9?

The other option appears to be above the drivers footwell or just to use a remote controlled one in the boot..
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes it does tilt down in the back a bit.  I had to cut the plastic on the under dash mount on the rear to conform in the rear as well....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T