News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help removing and reinstalling another power steering pump

Started by WH23G3G, January 25, 2016, 09:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

When I first started up my 73 Charger 400 after rebuilding the front end and engine a few years ago something strange happened when it fired up. The steering wheel shot the wheel all the way to the right just sitting in the driveway. So then I bled all the air out and it was ok. But I think that may have blew the pump resevoir o-ring and the steering gear o-ring because it started leaking thereafter. Well a year or two after getting it started I hadn't driven it much and when I finally took it to a shop they replaced the steering gear box under warranty saying it was way too tight. It still is and I've even had a Mopar expert adjust it. Anyway I need to replace the pump because it's leaking a lot from the resevoir o-ring. I just wanted to make sure I can avoid that violent self turning of the wheel when I go to start the engine up after installing a new pump. I believe the little valve that bolts to the top of the steering gear where the return line connects was messed up internally. The spring or something inside. So I got another one off of another Charger. It seems to be ok now. But anyone have an idea of what could have happened back then? And is there a sure way to avoid it this time? Is it as simple as any other pump installation, just install, fill up, and bleed all the air out by turning the wheel back and forth?