News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rat muscle "daisy" build

Started by cbrestorations, January 25, 2016, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

funknut

I love it.  Great thread, can't wait to see more.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to put back to a stock powertrain if you wanted, so I don't see the big deal there.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

JR

Most professional Formula D cars (regardless of make) use either the LS, or 2JZ because they've proven themselves to be the most reliable and durable under the stress of repetitive drifting events. The engine is a fine choice for what he's going to be doing with it.

It's a whole different set of priorities for a drift/road course build. Light weight and high RPMs for higher wheel speed take priority over big block torque, 5500 rpm redline and "Mopar or No car" cred an equivalent 440 would have.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Charger-Bodie

I just like the project before and now I don't it's that simple.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

I like "Dare to be different", but some push it too far.  I'm just waiting for the final results. :popcrn: :popcrn:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: JB400 on November 22, 2016, 08:25:03 PM
I like "Dare to be different", but some push it too far.  I'm just waiting for the final results. :popcrn: :popcrn:

I agree. I'm really not that against other brand engines in some cars and the lack engines are great . I just think a dart or a Polaris would be less offending.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

cbrestorations

when the hood is down, sliding around the track billowing smoke or racing around on a roadcourse who cares what engine is in it...ill be having a blast  :nana:. im shooting for 3000lbs is my goal with me in it, ill get it there one way or another

garner7555

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 22, 2016, 10:02:40 PM
when the hood is down, sliding around the track billowing smoke or racing around on a roadcourse who cares what engine is in it...ill be having a blast  :nana:. im shooting for 3000lbs is my goal with me in it, ill get it there one way or another

I agree!  The LS is a wise move for what you are doing.  Huge aftermarket support for those powertrains.   :2thumbs:     :popcrn:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

cdr

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 22, 2016, 08:54:26 PM
Quote from: JB400 on November 22, 2016, 08:25:03 PM

I agree. I'm really not that against other brand engines in some cars and the lack engines are great . I just think a dart or a Polaris would be less offending.

:iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Why run a GM V8?  Why don't you just run a cheap junkyard Mopar aluminum-block V8?   Oh, wait - Mopar doesn't make one.

Oh, well.  I guess we can't be too picky about such a cutting edge thing . .  err, wait . . . Ford and GM both made them 20 years ago.  Europe & Japan even earlier.

Maybe it's too much to expect Mopar to do the additional engineering for such a project if their iron blocks are working well enough . . . . but they've had an alloy block in the MP catalog ($4500) for years.

I guess Mopar's muscle cars just don't need the weight savings that much?   No, that's not true either.  The new Chargers & Challenger are 4300+ lbs.  They are the butt of jokes because of it.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 22, 2016, 11:44:11 PM

Why run a GM V8?  Why don't you just run a cheap junkyard Mopar aluminum-block V8?   Oh, wait - Mopar doesn't make one.

Oh, well.  I guess we can't be too picky about such a cutting edge thing . .  err, wait . . . Ford and GM both made them 20 years ago.  Europe & Japan even earlier.

Maybe it's too much to expect Mopar to do the additional engineering for such a project if their iron blocks are working well enough . . . . but they've had an alloy block in the MP catalog ($4500) for years.

I guess Mopar's muscle cars just don't need the weight savings that much?   No, that's not true either.  The new Chargers & Challenger are 4300+ lbs.  They are the butt of jokes because of it.

:cheers: well said...wake up mopar

RCCDrew

So... he is worried about weight savings but uses a 69 Charger as a foundation?  :smilielol:

alfaitalia

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 22, 2016, 10:02:40 PM
when the hood is down, sliding around the track billowing smoke or racing around on a roadcourse who cares what engine is in it...ill be having a blast  :nana:. im shooting for 3000lbs is my goal with me in it, ill get it there one way or another

3000lb ....(1363 kg!) that's less than a current model small engine VW Golf.....quite a target!

The shell alone (with doors, hood, trunk lid and glass) weighs in at over 1000lb.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cdr

Quote from: RCCDrew on November 23, 2016, 05:21:57 AM
So... he is worried about weight savings but uses a 69 Charger as a foundation?  :smilielol:

:smilielol:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Charger-Bodie

My biggest problem with it , is that this car was gonna be a great example of a mopar with mods and now and nows gonna be another easy way out Chevy powered turd.

cdr

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 23, 2016, 08:59:48 AM
My biggest problem with it , is that this car was gonna be a great example of a mopar with mods and now and nows gonna be another easy way out Chevy powered turd.

another YEP !!! The build on this car is awesome!!! some really great thought & ideas, But

cbrestorations

those who disagree are purists....i get it. put ur pure mopar charger agaisnt mine and lets see the outcome. obviously your not racers or care about handling as you would understand, but those watching and taking pictures of a charger sliding around billowing smoke, running lap times equal to pro touring camaro's or even just sitting at a stop light across from me will have a different outlook.

those saying worried about weight saving but used a charger...you do realize a charger platform is actually pretty light weight, its the heavy ass drivetrain and suspension that puts them in the 3850lb catagory. the stock big block engine and trans is every bit of 850lbs and i have removed 700lbs from my charger already. i just scaled my buddies 66 chevelle with an ls2 in it and it was still at 3280lbs. i already got that chevelle beat and im in the same weight bracket as ls swapped camaro's.  :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 23, 2016, 10:25:53 AM
those who disagree are purists....i get it. obviously your not racers or care about handling as you would understand, but those watching and taking pictures of a charger sliding around billowing smoke, running lap times equal to pro touring camaro's or even just sitting at a stop light across from them will have a different outlook.

those saying worried about weight saving but used a charger...you do realize a charger platform is actually pretty light weight, its the heavy ass drivetrain and suspension that puts them in the 3850lb catagory. the stock big block engine and trans is every bit of 850lbs and i have removed 700lbs from my charger already. i just scaled my buddies 66 chevelle with an ls2 in it and it was still at 3280lbs. i already got that chevelle beat and im in the same weight bracket as ls swapped camaro's.  :yesnod:

No. i think it would be cooler yet if you did it while staying true to the car. to me if you pulled it off with a mopar engine of any kind it would mean far more than this way.

68RT440

I get it for sure. I'm a die hard and would always put a Mopar drivetrain in any Mopar that I build, however I work at a hot rod shop and 90% of the cars we build (which are 95% Fords) get a small block Chevy. They are easy to work on, easy to get parts for and fit in the smaller chassis. So I understand both sides of it. A lot of Mustang guys that I talk to love the LS swaps. I personally couldn't do it to my Mustang, but I know and understand where they are coming from from a cost vs. performance standpoint. I say build it how you want. There's no denying that's a bad ass car and you have some serious fab skills...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

alfaitalia

To be honest it will be a great car LS...or not ....but..... to me (just my opinion obviously) to heart and soul of a Charger is its motor and to me that only means BIG BLOCK and preferably 440 plus. I'm sure a man of your skills could get a stroked 440 built well enough to go just about as quick with the heavy mopar lump in it (look how much weight keepat has lost from his Mopar (ish!) engine on his Bullit Build).....It can be done....but yes the LS is easier (and cheaper I guess??). I will still be following this thread with interest (and nicking ideas!!).....but now I like it a lot....don't think I could love it.

cbrestorations

i have the LS now, but if i come across a cheap 6.1 hemi or a nascar r5 engine soon i would consider it. especially the r5 engine, 10,000rpm...yes please

cdr

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 23, 2016, 10:49:10 AM
i have the LS now, but if i come across a cheap 6.1 hemi or a nascar r5 engine soon i would consider it. especially the r5 engine, 10,000rpm...yes please

The r5 would be AWESOME.

alfaitalia

Here ya go....yours for a mere $14,000! Runs on pump fuel too. Being British (not much NASCAR coverage here....like none!) I had to look up to see what an R5 even was!!

http://www.eatmonraceparts.com/fresh-built-nascar-dodge-mopar-r5-p7-wet-sump-engine-pump-gas-745hp-540-ft-lb-torque/

:cheers:

Troy

For some reason I had thought this was always planned as an LS swap so I went back and looked at the first post and it mentions a fuel injected twin turbo 440 with A518. But then I see it changed to a 6-speed and so on.

Any way, I agree with Mike - if you want best bang for the buck you really can't use Mopar engines. I love the new crate Hemis (for example) but could buy a new GM crate with a transmission, computer, and wiring for less and have a lighter assembly. Trolling through the junkyards makes it even more lopsided. However, that doesn't mean it can't be done using all Mopar stuff - it will almost assuredly cost a lot more. There's a somewhat famous wheelstanding 69 Charger in St Louis that has a blown BBC in it. Everyone loves the car until they figure it out and then they mostly hate it. I bet the guy driving it still smiles every time he gets in it! So is the intention to impress people or have a car that's crazy fun without costing a fortune? I don't have any problem with swaps as long as they make sense. I doubt I'd personally ever do it to a Charger. But hey, this was a car that hardly anyone else would have tackled in the first place.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/