News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 bumper: how do they remove the front gaskets and gap match to body?

Started by Andrada, January 21, 2016, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrada

ive  seen several charger done where the front bumper gasket is done away with and the bumper is mounted more inset only to have a pretty gap all the way around from the fenders to the hood??? im racking my brain as wether or not its a good idea to cut back all the bumper frame brackets the same to bring it in. but if i did that would i have to make new holes as the old holes wouldnt match up? and when its brought in like that would the headlights clear the hideaway flipdowns? i really like the clean look when the bumper is painted same as body when this is done. my rubber is worn plumb out and id like to just do away with it alltogether. anyway way wondering if anyone has any knowlege of this process before i get myself in a world of hurt :lol:

b5blue

I repaired my 70's last year. I can tell you the gap is for wiggle room as things flex so you'd need to figure some way to mate the fenders to the bumper. The rest I don't have answers for.

70 sublime

Might just be easier to fix the old gasket by getting a new one
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

It is...much simpler but I know the "look" he's talking about, cool.  :2thumbs: 

nvrbdn

I would like to see one done to check it out. I like my front end look as it is, but am always open to other ideas.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

70 sublime

To do it right do you not have to cut the bumper and widen it to cover the tips of the front fenders ?
As the bumper moves back things get wider do they not ?

Andrada

that was my biggest concern if something flexes and paint chips fly off... i figured give it a nice noticable gap, i def dont want to close it all the way, it would be enough to make wiggle room. i think the huge factory gap is there just to make room incase of impact to save the fenders.so i think im fine there. if i cut the brackets back and rebolt it should be the same strength and sturdiness i started with if i do it right.

and yes i think thats right about stretching the bumper a bit to match im not to sure though. im thinking i gotta get that gap just right to not look like the grill is that more narrow than the fenders.

reason being is so no one thinks im crazy, i love the chrome bumpers but mine gotta a nasty scrape on the side but i can repair and hide that if its finished the same as the car. its gouged a little and can be grinded a bit and filled. its a cheap way to get outta buying the the new bumper and looks totally awesome painted to match the car. but looks very silly with the 2' rubber separating it all the way around.

heres some youtube links to a couple of ridiculous builds featuring what im talking about doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkEjIkSywc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKUzyL3SgY

Andrada

Quote from: 70 sublime on January 21, 2016, 07:07:55 PM
To do it right do you not have to cut the bumper and widen it to cover the tips of the front fenders ?
As the bumper moves back things get wider do they not ?

rewatching the miranda build link i posted apparently the had to cut and shave the bumper as it was sticking out past fenders? i figured itd be opposite like u said. also i just noticed that they did away with the original grille  :shruggy: so the original hidaway flip downs probably didnt clear or they just wanted a custome grille. by the looks of it in the video the grille looks right up against the lights almost...

70 sublime

The second vid says they sucked the front fenders in to match the bumper width

Andrada

hmmm sucking fenders in would mean splicing out a piece of the lower valance so it would fit too. yikes. if i cut and extended my bumper to match id be left with a short grill. extending the grille is impossible. i think my best bet is to extend the fenders and the hood by an inch or so all the way around. if i want my original grille and everything to still fit, im gonna have to leave it where it is. i just dont see any other way to keep it original but get that look i want

Andrada

so i pulled it off and i couldnt be happier with the results!  :drool5: theres side bumper stoppers i had to remove on either side. after that i kept equally cutting the brackets back until i felt i liked the gap. i ended up with an 1/8" overlap of the fenders on both sides! i can totally live with that! now i just need to drill new holes in the frame. and secure it back down. also i was able to get the gap i wanted while still clearing the hideaway headlight covers and allowing them to be fully functional! away with that ugly rubber!  :cheers: :2thumbs: :nana:

Andrada

gonna be such a way cleaner look with the bumper painted now... :drool5: i cant wait to see done :coolgleamA:

70 sublime

Andrada

thank you sir, ive just about done it all, around this car to get it straight again
key is not being scared and jumping in it. love your car by the way its beautiful from what i can see in your profile pic.. what a perfect color choice. great minds think alike. ive got two gallons of lime green w/ a hint of gold peal i cant wait to splash on :icon_smile_big:

nvrbdn

Great job. I remember that I had seen "Street Shaker" before. Both look pretty clean with the tucked bumpers. Can't wait to see how yours turns up. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Andrada

been working on the bumper and grille past couple of day love the look of the bumper painted more and more

crj1968

Hey man- I have been watching this thread and that looks awesome...   :scratchchin:

Andrada

Hey man- I have been watching this thread and that looks awesome...   :scratchchin:

thanks.  last thing i have to do is unbolt and take it off again, weld up the holes where the rubber screwed in. you have to look really hard but you can see em off in there. so ill have to slick that up and thats all thats left

b5blue

While the bumper is off it's a good idea to remove the inner bumper support frame and check/clean/paint. It gets really rusty as crap collects in there between the two parts.  :eek2:

charge69

Painting the front bumper on a '70 Charger looks very nice!  I can't wait to see the finished product.
Congratulations on the project coming out looking really nice!

Andrada

Quote from: b5blue on January 26, 2016, 04:38:14 PM
While the bumper is off it's a good idea to remove the inner bumper support frame and check/clean/paint. It gets really rusty as crap collects in there between the two parts.  :eek2:

i must have blown a yard of dirt out of there! :rofl: but it sanded nice and clean and prettied up with some  high build 2k decided not to spray color on the insides of the frame though as you cannot see them with the bumper on but the outsides are painted, as is the top of valance. :2thumbs:

Andrada

Quote from: charge69 on January 26, 2016, 04:59:10 PM
Painting the front bumper on a '70 Charger looks very nice!  I can't wait to see the finished product.
Congratulations on the project coming out looking really nice!

:cheers: thanks i hope it comes out as beautiful as yours! i was checking it out in another forum topic man thats a sweet ride i also like your choice of the nt 555s are those the drag style radials? sweet :2thumbs:

charge69

Your Charger is looking great !  Just keep at it and you will be driving it with that pretty green paint before you know it!

Yep, those back tires are Nitto Extreme Drag Radials (Awesome grip for a street legal tire) in 275/60/15.  The fronts are B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's in 225/70/15.  They are close enough in diameter that the Charger has a very slightly nose-down stance!

b5blue