News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buckskin Tan Interior paint HELP!

Started by mopar4don, January 18, 2016, 03:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Anyone have a paint chip chart for buckskin tan for a 69 Charger?
This color would be on the dash, steering column, rear window defogger

I gave our local PPG paint shop the codes (AC38ET8/23076) and the color didn't even come close to matching
Shown is the upper collar to the steering column

left side of spray card is base coat only
right side of spray card has clear coat added

Any suggestions to get this right?

Brock Lee

First off, if a clear coat is added, it should be flat or semi-gloss at most.

There is a difference between the original and the color code. The original is a bit more "yellow" whereas the new has a stronger red component. However, I have found the difference is marginal when comparing items not exposed to UV's. The first pigment to fade is the red. I used a map light delete plate that saw very little UV exposure, and the match was very close.

If you want to match the faded steering column piece, perhaps you should have them scan and color match it.

One of the things to keep in mind is paint technology is totally different today versus then. Batches would vary as all pigment dispensing was analog based on weight. That is why color matching back then was an artform whereas today it is a technology. The paint codes that exist today are an "idealized" version of the old mixes. If you are painting all new, go with the code to make maintenance easy. If you are matching to old parts, then have them scan and color match.

AKcharger

I've had excellent results bringing a sample to local paint shop, they've been able to match blue, burnt orange and gray for a Toyota and all were spot on. I'd forget about going by code and go by sample

Lord Warlock

SEM Bluebird Brown matched my dash as close as I could tell. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Brock Lee

The bluebird brown is a great match for the pads. The dash frame color is a little different.

mopar4don

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 18, 2016, 07:40:17 PM
SEM Bluebird Brown matched my dash as close as I could tell. 

Quote from: Brock Lee on January 18, 2016, 10:00:10 PM
The bluebird brown is a great match for the pads. The dash frame color is a little different.

Thanks guys, I will keep the bluebird brown in mind.
Sounds like I should get it color matched. The problem is the local paint supplier does not do this.

I thought maybe someone already had it matched and could tell me what they used.

Mike DC

SEM bluebird brown is a very good off-the-shelf choice for the dash area if you are restoring everything.  It's a little bit dark compared to the "average" original stuff but it's well within the range of original variation.

Something about interior tan shades really seems to bring out the pickiest side of everyone.  There never seems to be the same level of debate about a blue or red or green interior.    

Maybe it's because tan is close to human skin tones.  We are hyper-sensitive to that.  Photography printers have learned that whenever there are people in a shot they have to get the human skin tones right at the expense of everything else in the frame.  

mopar4don

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 19, 2016, 11:19:40 AM

SEM bluebird brown is a very good off-the-shelf choice for the dash area if you are restoring everything.  It's a little bit dark compared to the "average" original stuff but it's well within the range of original variation.

So this SEM bluebird brown is an aerosol? Looks like it is used for plastic or vinyl.
Can it be used for the metal dash and steering column?

Brock Lee

Yes, you can use it on metal with no problem. Here is my steering column done in it. For reference, the pads are factory color.

You can see more of my tan dash adventures here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120747.0.html

Lord Warlock

I liked the bluebird brown so much after doing dash that I painted my upper bolsters on door and rear seat that color also, doesn't look stock anymore but when it was stock my uppers were a different color than the door panels.  I like the 2 tone look now. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.