News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grad school interview is coming up and I'm getting real nervous. Update: I'M IN!

Started by Dino, January 09, 2016, 11:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

You handled it like a solid performer; no one could ask for more...

Dino

One of my old professors just emailed me.  He was there interviewing other candidates.  He interviewed 3 strong candidates but he said they didn't even come close to me.  We got along ever since we met so he may be a bit biased.   :icon_smile_big:

I received an email this afternoon from the University of Toledo.  I was invited for an interview there as well so I'll be going there Monday the 25th.  This school is my 2nd choice but I have to pretend it's my 1st in case my real 1st doesn't work out.   :-\

I admit I would be devastated if I don't get into EMU, but it's a very real possibility.

XH29N0G

This all sounds good.  I hope EMU works out, but good luck with U Toledo too.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

Thanks!   :cheers:

I'm sure Toledo has a very good program but you know how it goes, sometimes one clicks more than another.

Dino

This is really gnawing at me.  I know I have to interview at schools that are not my primary choice, and I know I have to present myself in such a way that the program I'm interviewing for is the only one that matters.  But the truth is that EMU is the only place I truly want to be.  If Toledo accepts me and EMU does not then I HAVE to go to Toledo.  And if neither does and down the line Detroit accepts me then I HAVE to go there.  I can't just get my old job back for another year and a half so I need to go to whom will take me.  But I can't say I look forward to starting a program when it's not at EMU.  At this time I simply lack the motivation to go elsewhere.  I'm trying really hard here to think positive about the other schools but I'm not there yet.

b5blue

You've got to look at it this way, schools A B and C are looking at you. If any 2 don't offer positions then you really do want the third who did. So you want/need all three the same amount! You'd just "prefer" in an order of 1st, 2nd and last. It's about them not you at this point! Interview all three like each is your only option because any one may be just that!  :2thumbs: Hundreds tried and have no shot at any, they would be happy to get just one shot....you have three!  :scratchchin:   

XH29N0G

Quote from: b5blue on January 18, 2016, 08:04:09 AM
  You've got to look at it this way, schools A B and C are looking at you. If any 2 don't offer positions then you really do want the third who did. So you want/need all three the same amount! You'd just "prefer" in an order of 1st, 2nd and last. It's about them not you at this point! Interview all three like each is your only option because any one may be just that!  :2thumbs: Hundreds tried and have no shot at any, they would be happy to get just one shot....you have three!  :scratchchin:   

I can see that one would click more than another, but I also agree with b5blue.

If it were me, I would work to get around my hesitation by looking at the situation in a different way.  The particular school is not the ultimate end, and the time at that school is finite.  The job(s) after the school are the end goal.     
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

You guys are absolutely right and my brain keeps telling me the same thing.  It's my heart that's interfering with logic.   ;)

I know what I need to do, so I'll quit complaining and do it.  Thanks for lisening.   :cheers:

Troy

When I'm job hunting I go to interviews at jobs I have no intention of taking just to gain confidence and "practice" for the ones that do mean something. You did it backwards! ;) But sometimes I learn some things in the interview that I either didn't know about or didn't think were important and that changes my opinion of the job. Keep an open mind and realize that all are great opportunities.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

Yeah I know, I'm backwards most of the time.   ;)

I'll keep an open mind, but it's hard sometimes realizing nothing good ever came out of Ohio.   :nana:

cavemanno1

Won't wish you good luck because that means bad luck here,so break a leg!Although I'm a bit late for that and i just want to tell you that it may seem that the 2ND 3rd options were the less desirable ones.However,i believe that everything happens for a reason.Might be a great opportunity comes from these places that you have never though about before!

You are a good man,helpfull and kind.So karma pays you back what you gave,don't worry! :2thumbs:

Dino

b5blue

Quote from: Dino on January 18, 2016, 10:54:18 PM
Yeah I know, I'm backwards most of the time.   ;)

I'll keep an open mind, but it's hard sometimes realizing nothing good ever came out of Ohio.   :nana:
Not so! One of my best girlfriends came from Ohio. My daughter moved to there to get away from bad influences down here and start over. She's lots of good solid friends and really turned things around nicely.  :2thumbs: (I know your just kidding but I kinda owe it to Ohio!)

Dino

Lol, nothing wrong with Ohio...although they drive too slow.   ;)

I'm off to Toledo!

funknut

Quote from: Dino on January 25, 2016, 09:14:32 AM

Not all of us. ;)

Good luck with the process, hope things work out the way you're hoping.

stripedelete

You have to.  It'll get you the death penalty.

myk

Lol, nothing wrong with Ohio...although they drive too slow.   ;)

I'm off to Toledo!

It can't be as bad as California....

Dino

I had to lay off the gas when I was halfway there and realized I left my wallet at home!   :o
That would've been a bad time to get pulled over.

The interview itself went fine but the program didn't grab my interest.  It just didn't click with me.  If EMU doesn't take me and Toledo does then that's how it is but I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Hey even if you end up accepted and take a spot at your 2nd or 3rd spot could you not re apply at your first choice later?  :shruggy: I've gotten jobs at places I wanted to work at by just continuing to apply every time they had openings. My persistence was noticed over time. 

Dino

For a job sure, but not for a grad program.  Once in you stay in and see it through.  Starting another program a year later would mean losing almost $40K and you add another year in school. 

Dino

For a job sure, but not for a grad program.  Once in you stay in and see it through.  Starting another program a year later would mean losing almost $40K and you add another year in school. 

Dino

Yeah that would be too much to give up.  Wherever I sign up, I need to stay on the ride until it stops.   :yesnod:

I just heard EMUs admission committee is meeting on Tuesday.  I don't know when they wil start calling people but I know that the ones that are accepted get the first call, which makes sense.  So keep your fingers crossed for me and hope I get a call real soon!  I need to de-stress already!   :lol: