News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaking thermostat housing gasket

Started by Windsor, December 21, 2015, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

How the **** can I get this thing to stop leaking? I've tried gasket, gasket + RTV, RTV, gasket + copper spray. '68 B383

birdsandbees

File both surfaces flat... or look for the crack!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

A383Wing

the water pump housing is supposed to be flat, the thermostat housing is supposed to have a slight curve to it...the bolt holes are not in line with the center of the housing, so when you tighten the housing down, it pulls the ears so the center of the housing is tight against the water pump housing...do not file the t-stat housing flat...

sounds like it's either cracked or it's lost it's curvature...get a new one

Windsor

Both surfaces are flat. Both are new aluminum components. The leak(s) is at the back of the housing and appear to be going through the FelPro gaskets. The coolant starts as droplets around the edge, then drip off. The gaskets (even when sprayed with sealant) are soaked through when I go to replace them.
Never had this much trouble with a thermostat housing gasket.
I'll try to find some rubber or cork gasket tomorrow.

dual fours

Check both surfaces with a straight edge. Your sure you have the thermostat in the water pump's groove first with the gasket on top of the thermostat, topped with the neck housing? There are no gouges on the neck housing where the hose fits on from someone cutting off an old hose?
Your sure the water pump housing is not cracked?
Somebody before you might of had the thermostat slip out of the groove and tighten down the neck housing bolts and bent the neck housing.
Are you using original spring wire bands or screw and strap type clamps?
:popcrn:

I see some aluminum neck housings have the groove and it's not in the water pump housing, so maybe the t-stat is slipping out before tightening down the bolts?   http://www.ebay.com/bhp/440-water-pump-housing
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Windsor

Both are new components. The recess for the thermostat is in the housing, not the waterpump. Waterpump flange is smooth.

A383Wing

Quote from: Windsor on December 22, 2015, 12:20:00 AM

Both surfaces are flat. Both are new aluminum components.

and there is your problem...I have never heard of anyone getting the aluminum t-stat housing to seal properly....toss the aluminum housing and get a stock one, your problem will be solved

dual fours

Quote from: A383Wing on December 22, 2015, 12:48:41 AM

and there is your problem...I have never heard of anyone getting the aluminum t-stat housing to seal properly....toss the aluminum housing and get a stock one, your problem will be solved
A383, are you saying to get rid of the aluminum T-stat housing and the aluminum water pump housing?

If not both, then neither the stock stamped steel  T-stat neck housing or the aluminum water pump housing will have the groove for the T-stat!
  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/440-water-pump-housing
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Windsor on December 21, 2015, 11:25:57 PM
How the **** can I get this thing to stop leaking? I've tried gasket, gasket + RTV, RTV, gasket + copper spray. '68 B383
You can buy a thermostat housings with "O" rings, or stainless steel thermostat housings on eBay. I bought my aluminum thermostat housing with a 3/8 flange from Mancini Racing never had a problem.

Can you post a picture of yours?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Windsor

Let me clarify, water pump housing is smooth with no recess. Water neck/thermostat housing has a recess for the thermostat, but the flange is flat without a curve. Thermostat (when installed) is level with the flange.
Don't have picture of it right now, but it is this one. http://m.ebay.com/itm/400753566922

Mopar Nut

That looks like the same one I have from Mancini Racing.

What brand of gasket did you use?  I used Fel-Pro.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Windsor

I guess I'll get another thermostat housing. If it keeps doing it, I'll just weld the dang housing on and use one of my inline thermostats.

Windsor

I used FelPro, black paper type gasket. Every time I pulled it back off, the gasket was saturated.

Mopar Nut

This is the Fel-Pro #35063 I used, never seen a black Fel-Pro thermostat gasket.

http://www.felpro-only.com/blog/side/

Windsor

I'll have to order some online if I can't find some tomorrow.  Local store have the black ones. I'll see what the stores have in portland tomorrow after my surgery.

1974dodgecharger

I used the same one you have and NO leaks, but I used a different gasket.  like those posted felpro...I believe.

I had the chrome one and leaks galore....

werner

I HAD A MP CHROME WATER NECK ON MY HEMI THAT I TRIED TO STOP FROM LEAKING. TRIED EVERTHING FROM SANDING ON PIECE OF GLASS ETC TO TRY AND GET FLAT. TRIED EVERY KIND OF GASKET MATERIAL AND DOPE. NOTHING LATSED LONGER THAN 3 MONTHS.

THREW WATER NECK AWAY AS PER DIRECTION FROM A MEMBER ON HERE AND BOUGHT A BILLET ONE WITH "O"RING AND HAVENT TOUCHED  IT IN 3 YEARS.
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Ghoste

Exactly my experience too werner.  (although I haven't hit the three year mark yet)

68 RT

I agree with that, the stock ones work best!

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

Quote from: dual fours on December 22, 2015, 12:55:46 AM

A383, are you saying to get rid of the aluminum T-stat housing and the aluminum water pump housing?

If not both, then neither the stock stamped steel  T-stat neck housing or the aluminum water pump housing will have the groove for the T-stat!
  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/440-water-pump-housing

No, I'm saying ditch the t-stat housing that the hose clamps onto...just get a stock steel or cast housing

Windsor

A383Wing, does a stock housing have a recess for the thermostat? Or was the stock thermostat in a recess in the water pump?
Got some blue ones, I'll try it out. I'm down for the count for a day or two. I'll let y'all know if it seals or leaks.
Napa couldn't give me info on a stock housing, but I will order one if I can't get this one to work.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Windsor

The winning combo was the blue FelPro gasket and the copper spray. Sprayed flanges and gasket (both sides), 15 minute wait to breath off the propellant, 1 day to set with bolt heads just touching the housing, torqued and waited 1 day before adding coolant.
No more coolant leak (for now).

Mopar Nut

Good, I would recheck the bolts after some run time.