News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is anyone running this radiator?

Started by johnnycharger, December 19, 2015, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

crj1968

Hey johnny when I went looking for that part I found;

a shorter clutch assembly part number 215046  also made by Hayden (Imperial) for $40 and it bolted right in. It also came with the bushing thing. 

1970Moparmann

Guys, how much is this radiator?   I can't find the prices on the website?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

johnnycharger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 15, 2016, 10:12:05 PM

$219 plus $29 shipping. Try this link:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/391406909741

johnnycharger

Quote from: crj1968 on March 15, 2016, 09:50:10 PM

a shorter clutch assembly part number 215046  also made by Hayden (Imperial) for $40 and it bolted right in. It also came with the bushing thing. 

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

crj1968

I just ordered mine yesterday. I just called the guy and did it over phone.

http://www.speedcooling.com/26-Big-Block-Mopar-Radiator.html

myk

Here's the website, though you can get it off of eBay also...

https://www.speedcooling.com/Mopar-Radiators/
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1970Moparmann

Good deal!

I've also been looking at the US Radiator, which is a little more stock looking.   1" tubes also.   It is a little over $400.   Two good options.

Brass

So what is the difference between the Hayden 2650 and the 1705?  Aside from the 2650 being about twice the price, I can't seem to tell.  Hopefully this is related closely enough to not constitute a hijack.  Thanks!

johnnycharger

Quote from: Brass on March 21, 2016, 06:31:00 PM
So what is the difference between the Hayden 2650 and the 1705?  Aside from the 2650 being about twice the price, I can't seem to tell.  Hopefully this is related closely enough to not constitute a hijack.  Thanks!

Great question. I am looking into that too. Have you also seen this one:

Quote from: crj1968 on March 15, 2016, 09:50:10 PM

A383Wing

my 1705 is a shorter clutch overall and does not have the thermal spring in front....the shorter clutch is needed because of the new radiator thickness compared to the old one.

Also, with no spring in front, the clutch is engaged at lower speed and RPM which will draw more air through the radiator than one with the thermal spring in front....I'm running the 1705 on all my cars, no overheating issues in any of the cars anymore at low speeds

crj1968

I found some website (Imperial?) and the 215046 was the same thing as the 2650 as far as I could tell. And the parts store actually had one so I bought it and it seems to work fine.
I havent put my mind to clutch fan technolgy much so I dunno.

Got my radiator today. Have to agree with johnny they could package it better. The lower mounting tab cutout things were all bent to hell from UPS tossing the box around

Laxy

I recently installed a 22inch Engineered Cooling Products radiator in my '68 and very happy with it, instantly solved all my cooling issues with a mild 440 in a hot Perth summer. I'm just running a standard 7-blade fan and no shroud for now. It bolted straight up, only problem was the overflow outlet being on opposite side to my existing setup.

For any of the Aussie guys on here, cost about $450AUD landed, much cheaper than a recore on the original radiator.

It did have a few bent fins but really minor stuff, it was packaged well and survived the trip halfway around the world (arrived very quickly too!).
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

crj1968

Got mine installed. 
Took a little massaging, like bending the bottom tabs out and drilling out a new hole at the top. Seems dimensions are off about 1/4". Not perfect but not horrible.

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on March 23, 2016, 11:20:48 AM
Got mine installed. 
Took a little massaging, like bending the bottom tabs out and drilling out a new hole at the top. Seems dimensions are off about 1/4". Not perfect but not horrible.

I'm still amazed at the variances from car to car with any parts: some are direct bolt ons, some need a little massaging here and there. 

Anyway I might be trying Bryan's shorter, spring-less non-thermal fan clutch;   I like the idea of the fan engaged at all times...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1970Moparmann

FYI, The US Radiator is sold by Yearone and with the current 30% the auto 26" version is $277.  Just picked it up.   :2thumbs:

igozumn

Ordered one of the Engineered Cooling Products aluminum radiators today.  Figured it was more cost effective to go that route than have my old, reproduction brass/copper radiator repaired. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

myk

johnnycharger

I am finally getting around to working on this project. Since the coolant is drained I have replaced my 160 thermostat with a 180 and a new neck that is not all rust. I have replaced all of my header bolts with new ones with Permatex ultra copper on them. I have purchased new upper and lower radiator hoses and I have added my transmission cooler adapters with thread tape on them. I attempted to install the radiator and it didn't line up. I had to cut a notch out of the passanger side to clear the lower part of the inner flange. I had to remove one of the horns because it is too close to the side of the radiator. After doing this the drivers side doesn't line up yet. It looks like I am going to have to hog out the mounting holes to full slots all the the way off the flange....
A little tired.  Hopefully I can finish it off tomorrow....

myk

Hang in there buddy, I had to do EXACTLY what you're talking about on my car.  Does your radiator hit the battery tray?  Mine does...

johnnycharger

Quote from: myk on April 14, 2016, 08:13:51 AM
Hang in there buddy, I had to do EXACTLY what you're talking about on my car.  Does your radiator hit the battery tray?  Mine does...
Thanks. Yes it hits the tray. I had to bend it a little to get it past it.

myk

Quote from: johnnycharger on April 14, 2016, 08:21:55 AM
Quote from: myk on April 14, 2016, 08:13:51 AM
Thanks. Yes it hits the tray. I had to bend it a little to get it past it.

Weird thing is that some guys running this radiator didn't have any fitment problems.  Fascinating how these cars have different body/frame specs over the last 50 years...

johnnycharger

igozumn

Got mine on Tuesday.  Billet Specialties (sigh) water neck with o-ring seal should show up today.  Not sure when I'll get to it, as I have 2 fence posts that need replacing, and the weather looks nice for the next couple of days.  Really need to get that done before the end of the weekend, but I may jump on the Charger instead, LOL.  We'll see.  Radiator looks good.  Was worried when I first saw the box.  Surprised it wasn't damaged.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

mopar0166