News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 ENGINE REBUILD...SIX PACK CONVERSION? Need advice...

Started by jluisfelipe, December 12, 2015, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jluisfelipe

Hello to everybody! Finally I got the car of my dreams and I am the proud owner of a 1970 Charger RT with a correct period 440 4 barrel (68´) that needs to be rebuild...I would like to make 500 hp. Would you convert it into a six pack? I was thinking in all these:
Six pack aluminum intake manifold and carburetors
Aluminum heads
Forged pistons Speedpro 2355's
Engle/Lunati VooDoo series Engle cam
TTI headers
Original Flowmasters 40 series mufflers
Compression 10.5:1

What do you think? What would you change of the list (or add)? I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Challenger340

500 hp and 500+ ft/lbs torque is childsplay these days with most parts you mentioned.
L2355's are the ticket
Aluminum Heads like the "stealths" are more than sufficient, if you want an outwardly "stock" appearance where no-one can tell once painted they are aluminum.
You don't need the six-pack, single 4 BBL Holley Street Dominator will easily get there, and FAR cheaper.
Lots of Cams will get there.

BTW... Congrats on the Car !  :2thumbs:
Be sure to follow up with PICTURES !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

jluisfelipe

Thanks for the reply! I am considering all the possibilities right now...I always wanted a six pack, but I wouldn´t mind to go with a powerful 4 bbl if the performances are better. I think it worth to spend a couple of thousand dollars more if the result with the six pack is better (it is a really great car and deserves it...).
Which one would be your perfect combination? Considering your answer...may be 600 hp is a better goal?

myk

You could build a 1,000 HP motor if you wanted to; the sky's the limit.  What are you trying to build?  What is YOUR goal for the car?  To cover your original question I would install a 6 pak for the WOW factor.  Like the other guy said you can do it cheaper and easier without the 6 pak.  Also, why did you pick Flo-Master mufflers? 

jluisfelipe

My goal is a street legal with more than 500hp. I love Flowmasters sound, but I´m always open to new concepts. I´m doubting between converting my 440 into a six pack or go with a BBL Holley street dominator and 850 carburetor. I have heard that the six pack are hard to keep tuned and don´t work very well when trying to get more power. What is your opinion?

John_Kunkel

If you buy the six-pack new, you'll spend over $3K. For that money you get the "wow factor" but not much else; for $3K you can get one of the current throttle body EFI setups that'll be easier to tune and produce the same power.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

303 Mopar

As mentioned, you can do a powerful 4 bbl set up for a 1/3 of the cost of a 6 pack.  I can tell you from personal experience, a 6 pack requires constant tweaking and tuning especially if you alternate altitude.  And many times a correct set-up 4 bbl will out perform a 6 pack.  So no real incentive to go with a 6 pack other than the wow factor.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

jluisfelipe

Thanks so much! I think I have decided to go for a performance 4 barrel. Do you recommend me any other parts (apart of the ones I wrote in my first message)?