News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 with 8 speed

Started by mopar0166, December 03, 2015, 10:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

has any attempted to put a new 8 speed torque flight behind a mild built 440 ?

Is it possible to do?

mopar0166

What about adapting to a TH400

reason im asking, torque flights don't seem to last and a built one isn't cheap after the third time

Troy

Uh. A 727 is stronger than a TH400 and can be built for serious power. The new 8 speed will require you to remove most of your floor.

Oh, and it's completely computer controlled so you'll need the PCM, wiring harness, and the ability to decipher wiring diagrams to splice it all in.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mopar0166

Sounds like a fun time.    :cheers:   

who makes a good 727 capable of lasting longer then a th400 ?

im all about the 727 and using mopar parts but they don't seem to last

Dino

???  727s are bulletproof.  What did you do to your engine to destroy one?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

If you take your transmission to Billy Joe Jim Bob, the toothless inbred that "rebuilds" transmissions in his Walter White Meth Lab RV, it doesn't matter what transmission it is.Early failure is a certainty. I've had some serious powered cars and trucks and only had one 727 fail on me.

Troy

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2015, 12:01:17 PM
Uh. A 727 is stronger than a TH400

For the sake of us Mopar aficionados it would be nice if that was true but it ain't. TH400 is much stronger than any m Mopar automatic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 03, 2015, 02:48:37 PM
Quote from: Troy on December 03, 2015, 12:01:17 PM
Uh. A 727 is stronger than a TH400

For the sake of us Mopar aficionados it would be nice if that was true but it ain't. TH400 is much stronger than any m Mopar automatic.
Oh really? I was not aware of that. Ok, disregard my comment! But that doesn't make the 727 "weak" right? Especially "behind a mild built 440".

Troy

SRT-440

I used to have a lot of faith in 727's..until I went to a couple tracks that have a rule, if you run a certain ET then you MUST have a trans shield around your 727 cuz they like to grenade. No other trans were on that list. LOL
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

John_Kunkel

A friend of mine used to run the starting line at the local strip; when we were discussing transmission explosions he stated "I've seen a lot more GM's explode than Mopars". Well, GM's at the strip outnumber Mopars by a factor of six...or more. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

SRT-440

The story they use at the track is a guy had his foot taken off from a 727 without a shield..I'm assuming this was some kind of race car. I thought all transmissions were capable of taking a foot off..but they seem to think mopars are notorious for it.  :shruggy:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

BSB67

Quote from: SRT-440 on December 03, 2015, 03:08:24 PM
I used to have a lot of faith in 727's..until I went to a couple tracks that have a rule, if you run a certain ET then you MUST have a trans shield around your 727 cuz they like to grenade. No other trans were on that list. LOL

Never heard this as 727 specific.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Pretty sure the scattershield is required on all stock cases. And the turbo 400 in stock form holds up behind hmmwv's towing in excess of 20k. Trust me, i tested them. And the 4l80e replacement was no slouch either despite the common commercial view as an inferior product.

68CoronetRT

Any track at a certain ET will require a trans shield, brand does not matter. This is also NHRA rules, so if your running at these speeds you should have all the safety equipment anyway.

The TH400 is notorious for blowing the front drum and that's basically like a grenade going off right next to your foot. I've never read of a 727 blowing a drum, but I've heard many stories of the TH400 blowing drums.

flyinlow

Hellcat ZF in an old Mopar  :scratchchin: Thought about it. I would cut the floor up for it.

On the subject of trans blanket. For street automatic you just wrap the center of the trans between the converter and the tailshaft? Covering the clutch drums.

Any problems driving around with it on the car for years?