News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam for stroker

Started by fizz, November 30, 2015, 12:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizz

For reasons already discussed I am pulling the Crane HR-256/372-2S-10. Too noisy and runs too fat. Think it is more cam than I want for how we will use it. I am done talking to Crane and Comp. Lunati is recommending pn. 20230713Lk  it is a VooDoo 294/302.
Car is 500 cu in 6 pack, ported stealths, 391 gears, 4 speed auto w .7 overdrive, 3500 stall, 2"tti headers and 3" exhaust. Not a race car, want to drive it. Thoughts appreciated.

fizz

Like my other thread, out with the crane/comp cam/lifters and PRW rockers, in with lunati roller cam and lifters and Harland sharp rockers. If I could do it again, I would build the short block local, had the Carburater Shop go through my carbs, and ordered heads and valvetrain through Porter racing. I got hung up on turn key, and it didn't work out.

cdr

I think that should work for you.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fizz

Even without cam spec knowledge, rpm range for new cam is 2500 to 6600 vs 3500 to 6600. And cam and American made lifters from same manufacturer, gotta be better

Challenger340

We just finished and Dyno'd a 512, ported Eddy's(by me), with a Comp "street" type Solid Roller, tight lash & very quiet, single 4 BBL 950 cfm on an old M1 Mopar Intake.
654 hp and 670 Ft/Lbs on an SF902 Dyno, all done by 5800 rpm with the under 250* @ .050 duration cam.

If you want I'll dig up the Dyno Sheet and the Cam specs.
pm me.

On another Note, I ain't a "fan" of HR Cams in short Lifter Bore BB Mopars, never worked for me.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

fizz

Challengerg, I read everything you guys write, and asked my builder and the cam suppliers about a solid roller for my app, and they have all steered me away. It seems to me a mild solid roller would lessen potential problems.

Challenger340

Quote from: fizz on November 30, 2015, 10:49:21 PM
Challengerg, I read everything you guys write, and asked my builder and the cam suppliers about a solid roller for my app, and they have all steered me away. It seems to me a mild solid roller would lessen potential problems.

IMO,
There is nothing wrong with STREET Mechanical Rollers for "Street" useage, THAT is what they are designed for.
however,
it is very important with Mechanical/Solid Roller Cams, to make the distinction between STREET Mechanical Roller profiles that are intended for, and designed to, last under the rigors of STREET driving,
and,
the "Race" Mechanical Roller profiles that are not considered as practical for recommendation in street useage by manufacturers, due to considerably higher V/Spring maintenance considerations, which for far too many, becomes the root source of multiple failure potentials.

With BB Mopars though, in my experience anyways.....
the benefits to the STREET Solid Roller Cams, over many equivalent size Soild Flat Tappet Cams, can be limited by actual Port Volumes
versus...
cost considerations of the obviously much cheaper Solid Flat Tappet ?

I dunno if this makes any sense what I am trying to explain ?
The Street Solid Rollers.... COST alot more ?
but, and IMO
just don't make THAT much more power than the std Solid Flat Tappet Cams.... to "justify" that extra expense ?
unless,
sufficient Porting/Volumes and Flow is available to utilize the Roller profiles advantages ? Wherein YES, the extra cost is JUSTIFIED by sufficiently more power.

Further note about "cost" with the STREET Mechanical Rollers:
Don't use cheap Roller Rocker Arms !
What is fine for many Solid Flat Tappet Cams and V/Spring rates, just ain't great for long term useage with Street Mechanical Rollers.

just my  :Twocents: no wars wanted

Only wimps wear Bowties !

fizz

well, I appreciate the education. Knowledge gained from experience is invaluable. I talked to crower and lunati about this, and would have to change the valve springs and retainers. Cost, while important, has gone over the horizon in the rear view mirror, so whatever makes it right. I mean, I am throwing the cam, lifters, and rockers that came with the engine in the trash right now.