News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need some advise on moter build

Started by charger chris, November 28, 2015, 01:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

I have a 440 and 400. 1 i am looking to build some with power but kind good on gas. would like it lop at idle. Now with that said i want about 500 or  :popcrn: :scratchchin: 600 hp. Any of u guys have any ideas for me?
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

myk

First idea is to let go of the gas mileage criteria; you will not get "good" mileage out of these cars at the horsepower level you're reaching for.  On that note, the 440 will help you get to your HP goal easier than the 400 will...

charger chris

Ok should i go with a steel crank? what type of heads? whats a good cam to use for a good lop? How big of a bore should i use?
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

b5blue

Oh boy here come the spell checkers.... :lol: Do you mean "forged as apposed to cast" steel crank Chris? You need to outline the cost your willing to pay first.  :2thumbs:

charger chris

Well it will be a couple of years before i get to drive this car. So I'm not weired about money as far as buying parts. ill just buy part here and there as i can. As for crank gos whats better forged or cast steel crank I heard that one is better then the other. I hope not i really do try. :popcrn:  :scratchchin: oh i have a 78 440 block. I want good parts that way they will last a long time. I don't want to be fixing something because it wore out, because they was cheap.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

b5blue

Forged is much stronger Chris. You have much to learn yet so get some books on building Big Block Mopar engines and do some reading up before buying any parts. (That is what I did!)
  If you study the "proven engine builds" section here you'll learn even more. (Also save time and money getting your Charger ready for the road.)

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

justcruisin

The 440 or the 400 can be built into a good performer for the HP you have stated. Budget and intended use will play the big part in how you build the engine. If you are keen to get going - strip the motors and take the blocks to a reputable Mopar engine shop and get them both checked out, get them to sonic check them also. The block is your foundation, start with that. Once you have an idea on what to use there is plenty of help on here to set you in the right direction.

Dmichels

Hi Chris
What is your goal with this build? A 1/4 mile car or a street car?  A giant cam that sounds cool and mismatched components will make the car difficult to drive around town. I was asking the same questions when I was building my 440. I was lucky and hooked up with a guy who was racing mopars since the 60's I listened to his advise and now have a very street-able engine.  If you want a race car build one but it will not be fun driving around town or on the highway. You also need to think about the rest of the car when you build the engine. You need to think of the entire package. There are many proven builds that will work for you.
Good luck
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Challenger340

We do lots between 500 and 600 hp, pump gas, very streetable.
some examples to read through for ideas, easily repeatable on your own.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Scaregrabber

A big block doesn't have to be horrible for fuel mileage. In this day and age I think fuel injection is a good part of any build you actually drive, also a lot of people build engines much bigger than they actually need. I see 500 and up inch engines built all the time for cars that idle around on street tires and never see the strip.

Sheldon