News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

long tube headers question

Started by richard parker, November 25, 2015, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

a cam with a wider lobe separation is advised for stock exhaust manifolds   112 to 115 depending on the build.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

I have never been a fan of wide lsa's. I will probably get hammered for this but here we go-
  Wide lsa's hurt peak performance in my opinion. Guys run them because they compare them to a cam of the same specs with a narrow lsa and think that wider is better because it will give them more idle vaccum. While the wide lsa will give more vaccum because it is decreasing overlap, it is also building more cylinder pressure then a cam of a tight lsa. Among other things, on iron headed motors this can lead to detonation problems, decreased low end torque and lower peak hp then a cam of the same lift/duration with a tight lsa.
   Basicly, as an example, i would rather run a 284/ 484 cam on a 108 then a 292/510 on a 115.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on November 26, 2015, 09:50:19 PM
I have never been a fan of wide lsa's. I will probably get hammered for this but here we go-
 Wide lsa's hurt peak performance in my opinion. Guys run them because they compare them to a cam of the same specs with a narrow lsa and think that wider is better because it will give them more idle vaccum. While the wide lsa will give more vaccum because it is decreasing overlap, it is also building more cylinder pressure then a cam of a tight lsa. Among other things, on iron headed motors this can lead to detonation problems, decreased low end torque and lower peak hp then a cam of the same lift/duration with a tight lsa.
  Basicly, as an example, i would rather run a 284/ 484 cam on a 108 then a 292/510 on a 115.

Wide lsa's hurt peak performance in my opinion.  True
it will give them more idle vaccum.  True
While the wide lsa will give more vaccum because it is decreasing overlap, True
it is also building more cylinder pressure then a cam of a tight lsa. Among other things, on iron headed motors this can lead to detonation problems, Not true.  Normally, the intake valve closes later creating less cylinder pressure
decreased low end torque and lower peak hp then a cam of the same lift/duration with a tight lsa.  Generally true
Basically, as an example, i would rather run a 284/ 484 cam on a 108 then a 292/510 on a 115. In many cases, the 108° would be a better choice

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph