News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 slant charger

Started by oddis, November 23, 2015, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

six-tee-nine

If I were in your shoes?

If you have a second Charger wich you can modify, race, make the streets unsafe with......I'd restore the /6 complete to factory spec. If you have all the documentation and fender tag / build sheet, It would be my 100 points correct resto project.
Not to race it, not to spend thousands of miles in it every year, but to preserve a piece of history exactly the way it would have left the factory in 1968
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

tan top

Quote from: oddis on November 23, 2015, 03:37:14 PM
Hi, I own a 69 charger that is customized in a friendly way so I can get it back to original, but i also own an 68 charger , original slant six, three on the tree, it has drip moldings but nothing else as an option.   ::)   the question is , do I OE-restore it, or do I build it as a big block, manual car... ?

It needs total restoration, but is almost complete. car is dark green with green interior.

what is the market value on this thing as an original or as an unoriginal 383/440-manual car when its restored ?    any thoughts ?  :popcorn:

hello  & welcome   !  :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

wingcar

Just my opinion (and we all have one for what they are worth).....restore the 6 cyl. as it will be more unusual than a Hemi Charger.  Plus, you can take it on one of those "power cruises",  and while others are parked next to the gas pump filling up....you can stand there and just smile......   :icon_smile_wink:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Mytur Binsdirti

Slat six on a power cruise? Than makes no sense.    :lol:

skip68

The days of saying "it's just a nothing base model charger, let's modify it" are long gone.   Back in the day swapping to bigger engines wasn't a big deal.  Nobody wanted those cars and they were a dime a dozen.  
Now days it kills the value because it's rare and very few exist.  I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere that would be more than willing to trade you a charger that's not as rare in probably better condition.  
There are still plenty of project cars out there to build up or modify.
Personally I'd rather have a slow nice original rare charger than a fast non original.   At a show or cruise nobody really knows how fast you car is but you but they will all know how rare one is like yours.  20-30 years ago we'd probably all say toss that boat anchor six in the garbage and drop a 440 in it.  Not anymore.   
It's only my opinion but it'd be sad to see this one lost.  
But it's your car to do what you want.    :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

I think it'd be awesome to have a slant six or 318 Charger to use as a daily driver.  Not enough money is my problem.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 24, 2015, 03:10:47 AM
Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
pull that guttless /6 turd out of there and drop in a modern hemi. chargers are popular for their aggressive look and performance. yes it will still look like a charger with a /6 in it but, its the neutered version. yes i know its rare but only 262 people wanted one then and even fewer want one now. total buzz kill when you see a badass car then it fires up and sounds like a tractor  ::)

Those that piss on historical items with no regard for their value are really sad. I agree that a slant six is not a performance engine by any measure, but so what? I love seeing unusual slant six powered cars.
If we keep erasing history to pacify our immediate desires, there will be nothing left but red, black, white and blue 440 and Hemi cars. It is reasonable guess that many cars that are now Red, Black and Blue started out Green, Tan, Gold, Pale Yellow.....
There are enough bad ass cars out there to drool over. The slantys are cool in their own way.

there is no value in a slant 6 car, i had a yellow 68 slant six charger...you will spend the same money restoring one and lucky to break even. yes its rare but not desirable. value is based off of supply and how many people desire it and are willing to spend the $ for it. thats why hemi cuda convertibles are so expensive, very few made with the hemi, you can buy a 318 convertible at a fraction of the cost of a hemi.
im going thru the same thing right now on a 67 camaro, its a real 67 r/s, 4 speed slant 6. only 249 ever made but. what i am doing is building it as a restomod with an ls3 but only modifying the car with bolt on parts. i am keeping the guttless slant 6 with the car but on a pallet, so if someone reeaally wants to return her original, he can. everyone wants the muscle sound, they dont care if it only makes 300hp, but they have to have that muscle car slight lopey idle sound.
my rant is bassed off resell, i call bull...on people flocking to a slant 6 car at car shows, its the hemi or restomods that all have the crowds around them

skip68

You make an excellent point cbrestor.  Just because something is rare doesn't make it highly valuable.  That's something that I forget about from time to time.   I suppose he could do the same and keep the original motor and stuff stored.   Dammit, I hate being wrong.    :rofl:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

68pplcharger

Original since you have a V8 69 already...  :Twocents:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2015, 11:01:01 AM
pull that guttless /6 turd out of there and drop in a modern hemi. chargers are popular for their aggressive look and performance. yes it will still look like a charger with a /6 in it but, its the neutered version. yes i know its rare but only 262 people wanted one then and even fewer want one now. total buzz kill when you see a badass car then it fires up and sounds like a tractor  ::)

Those that piss on historical items with no regard for their value are really sad. I agree that a slant six is not a performance engine by any measure, but so what? I love seeing unusual slant six powered cars.
If we keep erasing history to pacify our immediate desires, there will be nothing left but red, black, white and blue 440 and Hemi cars. It is reasonable guess that many cars that are now Red, Black and Blue started out Green, Tan, Gold, Pale Yellow.....
There are enough bad ass cars out there to drool over. The slantys are cool in their own way.

there is no value in a slant 6 car, i had a yellow 68 slant six charger...you will spend the same money restoring one and lucky to break even. yes its rare but not desirable. value is based off of supply and how many people desire it and are willing to spend the $ for it. thats why hemi cuda convertibles are so expensive, very few made with the hemi, you can buy a 318 convertible at a fraction of the cost of a hemi.
im going thru the same thing right now on a 67 camaro, its a real 67 r/s, 4 speed slant 6. only 249 ever made but. what i am doing is building it as a restomod with an ls3 but only modifying the car with bolt on parts. i am keeping the guttless slant 6 with the car but on a pallet, so if someone reeaally wants to return her original, he can. everyone wants the muscle sound, they dont care if it only makes 300hp, but they have to have that muscle car slight lopey idle sound.
my rant is bassed off resell, i call bull...on people flocking to a slant 6 car at car shows, its the hemi or restomods that all have the crowds around them

Sorry but you are so wrong on the attraction to /6 Chargers.  I have shown my unrestored (rusty but complete) R4 1970 base model /6, three speed column manual Charger at a local rod run and got more attention than a restored M code 69 1/2 sixpack Superbee, U code 70 Coronet RT and a restored 1969 Charger RT done up like a General Lee that were at the same show.  I had quite a few older Mopar guys taking pictures of my car as they had never seen one in the flesh.  So, based off of that type of response, the car in question would get a lot of attention at most car shows because it is such an oddball car that only a handful still exist.  That is a fact.  They are worth at least equivalent to a 318 version Charger, if not a 383-2bbl. version.  That does not make them worthless...

There is something on car ownership that you are missing.  Not everyone cares about having a high horsepower engine combo in every car that they own.  Not everyone is into making $ out of their car at the end, some do it for the love of preserving their cars instead.  I happen to be one of them....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Alaskan_TA

Some people only see monetary 'value'.

I am not one of them.

Any reliable classic car regardless of engine size has value just in the driving enjoyment.

There is also the historic value, a lot of the base models were modified or used for parts long ago, so sightings today are rare.

Not all cars need a full blow mega-dollar restoration either.

I walk right past modified cars to look at original cars, from /6 & up.

If you REALLY want to get my attention at a show, show up in a 1970 four door.  :cheers:

Homerr

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 24, 2015, 02:06:04 PM

I am not one of them.

Any reliable classic car regardless of engine size has value just in the driving enjoyment.

There is also the historic value, a lot of the base models were modified or used for parts long ago, so sightings today are rare.

If you REALLY want to get my attention at a show, show up in a 1970 four door.  :cheers:

:iagree:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 24, 2015, 01:19:47 PM

Sorry but you are so wrong on the attraction to /6 Chargers.  I have shown my unrestored (rusty but complete) R4 1970 base model /6, three speed column manual Charger at a local rod run and got more attention than a restored M code 69 1/2 sixpack Superbee, U code 70 Coronet RT and a restored 1969 Charger RT done up like a General Lee that were at the same show.  I had quite a few older Mopar guys taking pictures of my car as they had never seen one in the flesh.  So, based off of that type of response, the car in question would get a lot of attention at most car shows because it is such an oddball car that only a handful still exist.  That is a fact.  They are worth at least equivalent to a 318 version Charger, if not a 383-2bbl. version.  That does not make them worthless...

There is something on car ownership that you are missing.  Not everyone cares about having a high horsepower engine combo in every car that they own.  Not everyone is into making $ out of their car at the end, some do it for the love of preserving their cars instead.  I happen to be one of them....

i am not so wrong, yes there will be attraction as people havent seen one before but they are not as cool nor as popular. they are unique, not popular. i had a 6cyl car and still know a guy who has a nice one. when i mention to people that i had a true 6cyl charger i dont get the "oh wow, thats awesome", i get the "really...thats odd" or "so what did you replace that boat anchor with".  you know what else gets alot of attention at a car show...a ratrod charger. it comes down to...its his car, do with it what you want, you cant hurt the value of it

Chad L. Magee

I used to own one of those: a green 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr.,  318, auto on the column, bench seat.  It felt like it should have been a taxi cab at one time...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

6spd68

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 24, 2015, 02:43:53 PM

I used to own one of those: a green 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr.,  318, auto on the column, bench seat.

A 440 car with a 318 eh?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

Yeah, there's some nomenclature thats caused a bunch of confusion over the years huh?

6spd68

Indeed, I appear to be the uneducated on that one...  My bad  :cheers:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

crj1968

Quote from: oddis on November 23, 2015, 03:37:14 PM

what is the market value on this thing as an original or as an unoriginal 383/440-manual car when its restored ?    any thoughts ? 

The OP asked about market value. Historical or sentimental value is one thing but market value is a different discussion. 

I think with a car like that you could go either way and the market will be strong (it a 68 Charger! ) ....just don't be surprised if you sell it that the slant gets pulled for a big block.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 24, 2015, 02:43:53 PMI used to own one of those: a green 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr.,  318, auto on the column, bench seat.  It felt like it should have been a taxi cab at one time...

I still have one of those. I also have 2 other four doors, a 1970 Dart with a /6 automatic & a 1970 Valiant with a 318 & 3-speed manual on the floor.

HANDM

Quote from: 6spd68 on November 24, 2015, 03:21:26 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 24, 2015, 02:43:53 PM

I used to own one of those: a green 1970 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr.,  318, auto on the column, bench seat.

A 440 car with a 318 eh?

440 was the trim level.....  :eyes:

68pplcharger

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on November 24, 2015, 01:19:47 PM

Sorry but you are so wrong on the attraction to /6 Chargers.  I have shown my unrestored (rusty but complete) R4 1970 base model /6, three speed column manual Charger at a local rod run and got more attention than a restored M code 69 1/2 sixpack Superbee, U code 70 Coronet RT and a restored 1969 Charger RT done up like a General Lee that were at the same show.  I had quite a few older Mopar guys taking pictures of my car as they had never seen one in the flesh.  So, based off of that type of response, the car in question would get a lot of attention at most car shows because it is such an oddball car that only a handful still exist.  That is a fact.  They are worth at least equivalent to a 318 version Charger, if not a 383-2bbl. version.  That does not make them worthless...

There is something on car ownership that you are missing.  Not everyone cares about having a high horsepower engine combo in every car that they own.  Not everyone is into making $ out of their car at the end, some do it for the love of preserving their cars instead.  I happen to be one of them....

:iagree:

I've witnessed the same thing with a Local boys original 6 cyl '66 chevelle. People flock to that thing like he's giving away money.

Kern Dog

I am not one of them.

This might just be a matter of maturity. Years back, I might have been in the same camp as CB. I have owned some cool cars and I can now appreciate the oddballs as well.
This does NOT apply to any FM3 or sublime color car. I friggin hate those colors.

WHITE AND RED 69

Build up the slant six but add better carbs, intake, headers, and a new cam. You still get that oddball coolness from the slant six but with a little extra fun added on top for a nice cruiser.  :2thumbs:

And of course keep the original stuff boxed up just in case you want to go 100% back to stock.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ws23rt

If one were to build up a slant six my thinking leads to adding the six cylinders that are missing and have a unique v12. :lol:
This would be an ambitious task and logical/rational thinking is not part of the idea.  :o

Their are many cases of this sort of thing being done with other engines.--Two Kawasaki 900 engines with a common crank to make a 1800cc V8 comes to mind and was an awesome looking accomplishment. :cheers:

http://www.italian.sakura.ne.jp/bad_toys/engine/multi_engine/813_16.jpg

Sublime/Sixpack

If it were mine I'd keep the slant six in it and restore the car, and enjoy it for what it is. Of course I'm not into these older cars because of what they may bring if I sell one. I've seen quite a few hemi Chargers through the years at shows and enjoy seeing them but I'd spend more time looking at a Charger with a slant six in it then the hemi car. It's just something that you hardly ever run across. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak