News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 slant charger

Started by oddis, November 23, 2015, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddis

Hi, I own a 69 charger that is customized in a friendly way so I can get it back to original, but i also own an 68 charger , original slant six, three on the tree, it has drip moldings but nothing else as an option.   ::)   the question is , do I OE-restore it, or do I build it as a big block, manual car... ?

It needs total restoration, but is almost complete. car is dark green with green interior.

what is the market value on this thing as an original or as an unoriginal 383/440-manual car when its restored ?    any thoughts ?  :popcorn:

Chad L. Magee

As a fellow /6 Charger owner (mine is a XH29C0G), I think you should restore it back to factory if it is more or less complete.  Most /6 Chargers lived a hard life (hot rodding fodder/parts cars/crushed for scrap), so there are only a few untouched ones still left with the /6 in them.  You will get more looks with it than a hemi/six pack version at car shows simply because it is an odd Charger.  Going the factory restoration route will make some people angry with you, but again it is your car to decide what to do with it.  It is quite rare in that combination, but that does not automatically mean valuable when you go to sell it. 
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

skip68

X2 for keeping it original.  Those are a rare breed these days.    :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

6bblgt

It's a multi-edged sword w/o a simple answer

if you want to preserve history: green, /6 & 3-speed
if you want lots of attention at a car show: /6 & 3-speed
if you want to enjoy driving the Charger: big-block & 4-speed

what work are you able to do & on what kind of budget?
paint/interior/chrome will cost the same which ever direction you choose
..... but if the #1 goal is most value for the least cost - you are probably better off selling it right now  :scratchchin:

can you post a picture of the fender tag?  Wheel lip mouldings/Belt mouldings/Drip trough mouldings were all STANDARD on the '68 Charger

skip68

Oh, welcome to the site.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

6spd68

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 23, 2015, 04:02:37 PM
It's a multi-edged sword w/o a simple answer

if you want to preserve history: green, /6 & 3-speed
if you want lots of attention at a car show: /6 & 3-speed
if you want to enjoy driving the Charger: big-block & 4-speed
:iagree: , I'd be more partial with a V8 of some sort, personally(not necessarily a big block)...  It's completely up to you though  :2thumbs: !  Best of luck with your adventure, whichever way you choose.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

hemi68charger

I would say, since you already own a customized Charger, I would put this one back to its original /6 configuration... It will be a UNIQUE car for sure...

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

oddis

Hi, fun to hear from fellow charger and also slant six owners...  :2thumbs:  be happy to post a picture of it if you want.

I find it as an odd combination also since its the `ultimate´muscle car,  ::) but the slant six engines are great to drive, and with a couple of modifications on the slant,  it can become a great drivers car in combination with the manual gearbox.     I have more cars with big blocks so the need for speed is not the biggest problem, but since its going to be given to one of my kids ( they will get one eatch) as a kind of savings, I want the car to hold at least some of the value put in to it, and thats were I´m in a bit of doubt.  :scratch chin:   and also the fact that I´m working in a low paid job makes it important since i can't afford building it several times.   :scratch chin:
also posting a pic of my other charger that is given to my oldest daughter..

A383Wing

last count there was roughly only 9 68's made with /6 and 3spd column shift.....

if you restore that car and take it to a show, park it next to a 68 Hemi Charger...I bet yours would get more attention......at least I would look at it more

your call

HeavyFuel

You've got two Chargers?

Definitely leave this one original.  You can always swap out the motor later, if things don't work out with the slant 6. 

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1968-dodge-charger-six-rarer-than-a-hemi-charger/

Those looooong runners look pretty cool.

b5blue

My opinion...LEAVE THE LEANING TOWER OF POWER RIGHT WHERE IT IS!  :icon_smile_big:

Alaskan_TA

I drive my slant six car all over, I do not need a bigger engine to enjoy a drive in a classic.

Dino

I wouldn't want to own one of those personally, but if I did I'd want to sell it to someone who'd restore it to stock specs.  I only want one Charger and I want it customized.  You have one of those, rebuild this one back to stock.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RallyeMike

Quotelast count there was roughly only 9 68's made with /6 and 3spd column shift.....

if you restore that car and take it to a show, park it next to a 68 Hemi Charger...I bet yours would get more attention......at least I would look at it more

your call

:iagree:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ws23rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 23, 2015, 10:09:51 PM
Quotelast count there was roughly only 9 68's made with /6 and 3spd column shift.....

your call

:iagree:

Me too :cheers:   I've been to a few roadster shows and have been dazzled by the miles of glitz. It can become an overload to the senses. Much to see and any one car deserves a close look. I have come away from these shows sort of numb. :shruggy: Too much can be too much :Twocents:

I'm not an expert on correct cars but when something different or special shows up I'm all over it.

BTW when someone uses the term "three on the tree" I think of a manual shift 3sp car.  Are their any 68-70 chargers out their with manual column transmissions?

skip68

Yes.  Quite a few. 
I had a 63 Ranchero with 3 on the tree.  It was my first car.

ws23rt

Quote from: skip68 on November 23, 2015, 11:26:03 PM
Yes.  Quite a few.  
I had a 63 Ranchero with 3 on the tree.  It was my first car.

I had A 1951 Cadillac (hearse) It was three on the tree.  A manual shift lasalle transmission.--I wanted to make it 4ft shorter into a three door with a 392 hemi --but I digress- :lol:

I'm not yet clear about my question?  Were their any "manual shift" three on the tree chargers made?  Any year? :scratchchin:

A383Wing

Quote from: ws23rt on November 24, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

I'm not yet clear about my question?  Were their any "manual shift" three on the tree chargers made?  Any year? :scratchchin:

66 & 67 Chargers had them, 318 engine only....also the 3spd column shift manual transmission was available on 68 - 70 Chargers as well

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on November 24, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
Quote from: ws23rt on November 24, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

66 & 67 Chargers had them, 318 engine only....also the 3spd manual transmission was available on 68 - 70 Chargers as well

:2thumbs: I would be very attracted to a 69 charger with that set up. :cheers:---Oh and the other years as well-- :icon_smile_wink:

6bblgt

all '66-'70 b-body 3-speed manual transmissions were column mounted from the factory

GG's 1969 Charger numbers: 318 w/3-speed manual = 716 (less than 2.5% of the 30,257 total) & 225 w/3-speed manual = 262 (over 55% of the 462 total)

there is an issue with GG's manual transmission numbers for the 1968 Charger  :Twocents:
vintage WARD'S Automotive Annual shows over 2,200 3-speed manual transmission 1968 Chargers, but no breakdown between 318 & 225

the 3-speed manual transmission was STANDARD on the base V8 (318) & /6 (225) 1968 Charger, the OPTIONAL automatic transmission was about $200.00
I'll "go out on a limb" & estimate 318 w/3-speed manual = ~1600 (less than 5% of the almost 34,000 total) & 225 w/3-speed manual ~600 (over 60% of the 900+ total)

plenty were built 45+ years ago, but few of the cheapest LOW COST 1968 & 1969 Chargers still exist.

cbrestorations

pull that guttless /6 turd out of there and drop in a modern hemi. chargers are popular for their aggressive look and performance. yes it will still look like a charger with a /6 in it but, its the neutered version. yes i know its rare but only 262 people wanted one then and even fewer want one now. total buzz kill when you see a badass car then it fires up and sounds like a tractor  ::)

ws23rt

Those that like these cars are as varied as the cars they like.

Kern Dog

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
pull that guttless /6 turd out of there and drop in a modern hemi. chargers are popular for their aggressive look and performance. yes it will still look like a charger with a /6 in it but, its the neutered version. yes i know its rare but only 262 people wanted one then and even fewer want one now. total buzz kill when you see a badass car then it fires up and sounds like a tractor  ::)

Those that piss on historical items with no regard for their value are really sad. I agree that a slant six is not a performance engine by any measure, but so what? I love seeing unusual slant six powered cars.
If we keep erasing history to pacify our immediate desires, there will be nothing left but red, black, white and blue 440 and Hemi cars. It is reasonable guess that many cars that are now Red, Black and Blue started out Green, Tan, Gold, Pale Yellow.....
There are enough bad ass cars out there to drool over. The slantys are cool in their own way.

JB400

Quote from: cbrestorations on November 24, 2015, 02:45:12 AM
I think it's the fact that people expect these cars to be fast and have a big motor is what makes this car unique. Keep the 6.

TPR

I think you're in a great position here owning two 2nd gens.
Leave the /6 in the '68 and restore it for the rarity and historical value & flog the hell out the '69 when you want some real fun.
You have the best of both worlds here.
Good luck.
:Twocents:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com