News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Intro/My 73 Charger

Started by 73-Charger-Canada, November 19, 2015, 09:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-Charger-Canada

Hey all!
Really excited to have found a forum totally dedicated to the charger. B bodies have always been my dream cars... and I finally have one! Here's my 73 Charger. Originally a slant six/auto car, it was converted to a 360 small block and A833 4 speed before I bought it. I got the car as a roller though, as the guy wanted the motor for another build he was doing. So, why not go bigger, right? So, I'm building a 440 for the car as we speak. I got the motor out of a motor home (just like the roadkill boys! would have never thought of that!) and the process began. Luckily, the motor home had very few miles on it, so the motor is in great condition. None the less, I am doing a total rebuild. The 440 has a forged crank and 6-pak rods in it (I guess these were meant for some heavy lifting!) and I've put all new forged pistons in it. Still undecided whether or not to make it a 6-pak induction system. Super cool, but very expensive compared with the old 4bbl set up. I'll post as much as I can if anyone is interested. I'll be asking lots of questions, as this is my first Mopar build. So far I've been a chevy guy (don't kill me...) but I've seen the light. Anyhow, here goes the Mopar Muscle dream build!

Baldwinvette77

Nice car!, Green and copper is a bit of an odd combo though, you could always tell people the interior used to be copper too, until it corroded  :rofl:

Welcome, And enjoy  :2thumbs:

70 sublime

My parents had a 73 from new   :2thumbs:

Where are you located ?
(I am about an hour east of Toronto)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 19, 2015, 11:19:06 AM
My parents had a 73 from new   :2thumbs:

Where are you located ?
(I am about an hour east of Toronto)

is that the same one thats rotting out behind your barn?  :rofl:

70 sublime

:icon_smile_dead:

Nope that one is blue behind the barn
The original is brown and is one field back under the trees
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

polywideblock

welcome to the site    :cheers:   looks like a good starting point    :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ODZKing

Welcome to another 73 fellow from Syracuse, NY.  Where in CA are you?
I also have sent you a PM.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

skip68

:cheers: Welcome to the show.   Really clean looking car to start with.   :2thumbs:  nice  :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

EccentricMagpies

'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

73-Charger-Canada

Hey guys, thanks so much for such a warm welcome! To answer the Canadian fellas up there, I'm in Guelph (about an hour west of Toronto). Yes I really lucked out with this car. The gold and green was a very 70s choice, but I think it adds a lot of character. You can make any old american car look muscular with a black bulgy hood and stripes, but there's something about the original style that screams 'cool' to me. I'm thinking of making the car into a road trip car, the fiancee and I are hoping to take a trip down the eastern seaboard and the south and see a few of the big music cities while we're down there (Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans etc.) and this is the car we're hoping to do it in. Saving up for the Vintage Air system as we speak!

Baldwinvette77

oh cool, me and you are almost neighbours  :lol:

PlainfieldCharger

Welcome to the site!! Car looks to be in great condition!! Wait till your chevy friends(if they still are) go for a ride in that with the 440 in it... :drive:

Mogre

Welcome to the dark side from one hour north of to.

73-Charger-Canada

Awesome, don't be afraid to get in touch! My goal for the car over the next year is to have it plated and driving by the summer, so I can take it to Moparfest and the Mopar Nationals at Grand Bend Motorplex (that's one of our drag tracks here in Ontario, Canada for you southerners!) They always have such cool original Mopars at that event. I think my personal favorite is a Hemi Runner from 68. So, with how original mine is, I'm hoping it fits right in. The way I'm building the motor it will end up being about 8.5:1 compression, so not a monster by any means, but it should work good on the street. I built it that way so if I ever come across a blower, I can bolt it right on. To me there is still nothing cooler than a classic mopar with a bird catcher hanging out of the hood. Right now the weak point on the car is the rear, it's got the 8 1/4 open rear with 3.21 gears. Good for that big road trip, but not much else. Hopefully I can get a hold of a b body 8 3/4 SG somewhere along the line, bump it up to a 3.55, and carry on without much worry. I'll post more as I get it done!

VegasCharger

Hello and welcome :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I'm always fond of the 73s even though I do not currently own one. I've had three 73/74 Chargers in my lifetime. Two 73 SEs and a 74 coupe.

Being that you are using a 440 out of a motor home I believe that you will need the 971 oil pan which would NOT be on the MH 440. Just an FYI on one of the obstacles switching a 440 from a motor home to a 73 B Body.

Good luck on new Charger project and welcome to MoPar land :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

73-Charger-Canada

Thanks very much for the info! Yes I'd read that about the motor home big blocks not having the right pan, and I lucked out and grabbed a 971 pan from a local mopar guy. The only real obstacle thus far has been the bell housing! I have a bellhousing for a small block, but nobody seems to have one for a big block locally. I'll have to order a reconditioned one from Passon or Brewers, or get a scattershield from Lakewood (both of which are up in the 500-600 dollar range!) So, just biding my time for that. If any of you local fellas have a bellhousing for a big block, let's talk! thanks again guys