News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XHD Leaf Springs and pinion angle disclaimer! PLEASE READ

Started by NateCharger, November 15, 2015, 03:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateCharger

After spending hours tracking down a driveline vibration on my 71' Charger R/T, I decided to check my driveline angles. Come to find out my pinion angle was at 10.7 degrees DOWN!!! I just had the spring perches welded on at 6 degrees down! So I pulled the rear ended out and measured for myself. Sure enough, 6.2 degrees DOWN. Put axle back in car, dropped car to ground again, to see if I made a mistake... Nope! 10.7 degrees DOWN. The new XHD leaf springs point the pinion down an extra 4.5 degrees by themselves!!!! My tail shaft is at 2 degrees down, so I am having the perches welded on at 2.5 degrees UP, which will ultimately give me the 2 degrees down I want. What a MESS! Dr Diff says the perches should be welded on at 5 degrees down, not even close with XHD leaf springs. Hopefully this info saves someone out there the HUGE headache this gave me.

NateCharger

6 degree shims only brought it up to 4.5 degrees down, still out of spec. Anything bigger than that and the pin won't engage the pad...