News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini starter consensus.....>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, November 10, 2015, 11:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Hey folks, my old mini starter finally died, and since it's been 9 years since it went on the motor I figured I'd see what everyone recommends brand wise currently.

It's going on a '69 440 block with TTi headers.

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Kern Dog

I LOVE the Red car in your avatar!

There are LOTS of cheap options compared to 9 years ago, but since so many headers wrap around the starter, it makes sense to pick a known, quality unit.  I went with a Denso from Mancini Racing. I had almost 11 to 1 compression when I got that starter and it still spun the mill fine. I dropped my CR and I can't say it spins any faster. No problems with it.  There are others: Powermaster, I had 2 and wasn't pleased. NEW Mopar, never tried one. Junkyard used for $25 or less. Auto parts store rebuilds are under $100.

68X426

PowerMaster is power-disaster.  Pure crap, and they won't back their warranty.  Case cracked and internals failed, they said "we know we failed" but no replacement or refund.

I love DB Electric.  Works great me, a perfect fit on my Hemi with TTIs.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

c00nhunterjoe

I can say we have thoroughly tested starters on the 572 over the last 2 seasons.... we have had every brand on it excluding mezeire. All have failed miserably. Some after 2 passes. Granted we are running a 13:1 572, but there is clearly a quality control issue going on in the aftermarket world lately. The msd starter is doing great. Sounds good, spins fast. If this new msd starter goes up, mezeire is next.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2015, 04:47:24 PM
I LOVE the Red car in your avatar!

There are LOTS of cheap options compared to 9 years ago, but since so many headers wrap around the starter, it makes sense to pick a known, quality unit.  I went with a Denso from Mancini Racing. I had almost 11 to 1 compression when I got that starter and it still spun the mill fine. I dropped my CR and I can't say it spins any faster. No problems with it.  There are others: Powermaster, I had 2 and wasn't pleased. NEW Mopar, never tried one. Junkyard used for $25 or less. Auto parts store rebuilds are under $100.

Thanks!

That's Emma, my '70 Charger.

So sounds like Denso, DB Electric and MSD.

Is this the DB Electrical model in question?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Charger-Cuda-Hemi-440-NEW-Mini-Hi-Torque-Starter-/360477279074?hash=item53ee1ec362:g:CVoAAOSwhAZWBrtm&vxp=mtr

I'd seen a few posts about it when I searched before starting this thread.

:cheers:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Dino

That's the one.  I plan on using the same one.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Or use one from a 90's Dakota V8 truck.  You can walk over to your local parts store and pick it up with no hassle...

68pplcharger

Quote from: myk on November 11, 2015, 09:48:57 AM
Or use one from a 90's Dakota V8 truck.  You can walk over to your local parts store and pick it up with no hassle...

:iagree:

That what I have on mine :2thumbs:

timmycharger

Quote from: 68pplcharger on November 11, 2015, 12:17:04 PM
Quote from: myk on November 11, 2015, 09:48:57 AM

:iagree:

That what I have on mine :2thumbs:

Same here, I had to do some minor mods to make it clear my TTI headers. Im running the 2" primary ones though.  :Twocents:

firefighter3931

I've been recommending the DB Electrical starter for several years now and use it myself. Great starter at a fantastic price. It spins my 572 stroker over like nothing !!  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WHITE AND RED 69

DB electrical on mine and has worked great!  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

68CoronetRT

DB Electric for me as well and no issues in the last 3 years. Also note if you go with the DB you need to remove the post covers or they will touch the headers(If you have headers)

green69rt

Does the DB starter require a little "adjustment" on the post length to clear the block or was that another unit?