News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally......Someone Who Actually Fixed It Up One Day.

Started by Old Moparz, November 05, 2015, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Now stop complaining about that rotting car you saw in someone's yard that you tried to buy & the owner wouldn't sell.   :lol:

After 50 Years Of Rotting In A Town Dump, This Guy Restores His 1934 Ford Tudor And Returns Its Glory

http://www.mustseecenter.com/2015/09/13/after-50-years-of-rotting-in-a-town-dump-this-guy-restores-his-1934-ford-tudor-and-returns-its-glory/

Larry Johansen out of Hyrum, Utah had a 1934 Ford Tudor which he purchased on 1951 when he was 15 from a widow lady with his bean-packing money. When he turned 16, he took his driving test in that car, and one day later he and his mother parked the car in the pasture south of their home painting it with brushes. After one year, his dad was intrigued by a newer and fancier model, a 1937 Tudor, so Johansen sold the 1934's engine discarding what was left in the Hyrum town dump. Couple of years passed and he was serving in the army where he met some California hot rod aficionados who were surprised by Johansen's dumping the 1934 model, so he started realizing that the car has been a special one at that point. Upon his return, he checked the car and over time there have been more and more cars piled on it. Battered by the elements, the car was abandoned for 50 years.

In 2003 Larry consulted with his son-in-law, John Petersen, about the possibility of retrieving the 1934 Tudor, or what has been left of it. Larry was told that if he wanted the car so bad, they could probably do that. So, they excavated the car from debris and dirt for 3 months, and on his 68th birthday they found it and hired a wrecker to tow it away. He was aware that it had to be squeezed down to get out of the hole as they were not able to make the hole big enough, thus he turned his back saying that he was ready for it. He did do because he didn't want to watch it get squashed and he looked away. When the car was pulled out, it resembled a ball of tin foil and was barely recognizable as a car.

Johansen had previously restored antique cars, so he expected it would take him 3-4 years to fix this one, but it took him 12. Now he's happy to drive his first car again. It looks even better than when he drove it as a teenager. He's glad to make something out of nothing. He preserved the bullet hole on the driver's side door which he discovered the morning after he and some friends pilfered watermelons from a farmer's field. The following morning he saw the bullet hole and he didn't want his parent see that, so he put a chewing gum in it.

He says that he feels young again behind the wheel of the restored Ford. Check it out. It's quite a fascinating work.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

skip68

:cheers:
Thanks Bob.  That's a great story.  I'm surprised it was in as good of shape as it was.  I loved the fact that he kept the bullet hole for the memories.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mpd659

Stegs

i dont understand how the hole got there from water melons

either way, great story, i have a soft spot for those early fords....

Gotta get me a Model A someday

Old Moparz

He said he & his friends were out "pilfering" watermelons. An agitated farmer probably took a shot at them & hit the car.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

wingcar

That's really a great story....a true love affair with your first automobile.  Just proves that if you want something bad enough....you just need to do it.... :2thumbs:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Lennard