News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new to site, and my '68 Charger Project

Started by gb70, August 09, 2005, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gb70

Here are some recent pics of my '68 Charger I am currently restoring back (my way). It is one of 259 383 4 speed '68 Chargers.  Numbers matching.  I am going to save the engine and use a 472 strkoer for a while.

Before

during (body and metal work)

after paint

As you can see a donor drivers side rear 1/4 was needed,work to the same side rocker,

Here is the old 1/4 and I used a piece of it so I could do a patch on the other side lower 1/4

and a partial trunk pan was welded in.

after paint

That was the areas in serious need of metal work on the Charger.   I took a part the Charger and bagged, tagged, and took note of what I felt was needed to take notes of.  Original 383 and 4 speed trans.

Later, I stripped the paint using an aircraft stripper.   It took a long time.   I first stripped the car down and then removed fenders, doors, hoods, and did all those off the car inside out.
Later, I did the exterior and then the interior.   The guy that had the car before me used Dynomat on the floors, and I had to use a heat gun and scraper to remove it all from the floor pans.

Then I used the stripper to remove the factory paint.

Next came the metal work that required welding.  
new 1/4

Then it was on to the body and getting it ready to spray primer inside of my garage.   I made a half ass paint booth and went to it.

I worked on b blasting the rear end, k member, and a bunch of other parts.

I rebuilt the front end after the parts were finished coated.

BEFORE

I decided to use polyurethane bushings, hemi size torsion bars and and a hemi size sway bar to the front, while the back I added new hemi leaf springs,

new shocks, new gas tank, and 3/8" fuel lines to feed my new stroker.

I also changed the drums up front to Disk using PST parts.   New SST brake lines were installed, and I had to modify the steering shaft to make it the right size (shortened it up) to be used with a new power steering unit.   The car had a manual steering box (ick).   I bought and installed a new universal coupler, it needed a specific size in order to be used for power steering.

Down below the car I blew on some new chassis black paint to the factory undercoating.

First I had to make a big mess using my power sprayer to get all the dirt and grime off.   Later, I masked off this surface and primered, and painted the rails to match the color of the exterior.

I also had gotten Matt Delaney to build me a 472" stroker using a 400 block.     
I also sent out the rear end, and the tranny to get rebuilt.   I added posi to the rear and changed out the gears to 3:54's.   I also sent out the dash cluster to get rebuilt, calibrated, refaced, and the clock turned into quartz timed movement. The Charger has been through a whole lot to this point.
The car got out of my buddies paint shop where I chose a color that has a Mecedes Benz, Viper, combo silver, with deep metallic flakes.   It was shot with a pearl coat to give it a very deep look.

Now the fun begins building it all back together.   I have chosen to go with a red interior in place of the black.   I think that it will look real sharp inside of the silver outside paint.

Brock Samson

yikes!  :o the guys got his own coke machine! Now that's what i call a first post!
W E L C O M E  !  !  !   Nice Work!

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheGhost

Too..... many..... pics...... internet.... can't handle......

:lol:  Nice intro post, and, nice Charger.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Recharger

:bow: :bow: :bow:    It's right here, PT.

Wow   :eek:   that's a lot of work.   Makes me feel like I've been doing nothing.   Can't wait to see it all back together!   and welcome!!

Drache

Anyone else notice the hood leaning up against the window in the first couple pics? That is one sweet looking car!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Brock Samson

SHAKER for/from his hemi cuda no doubt...

we'll take some photos of that Cuda too GB....  :icon_smile:

Drache

Ok this needs to be posted in the Tech Archive if someone ever needs to know how to do a good restoration!  :o
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

blackcharger

welcome to the site. great job! keep the pics comming! :2thumbs:

Troy

Quote from: Drache on August 09, 2005, 11:42:15 PM
Ok this needs to be posted in the Tech Archive if someone ever needs to know how to do a good restoration! :o

Maybe you haven't noticed... but we don't have a Tech Archive. :D

Troy

ChargerHound69

That is a great looking car.  Welcome to the Site. :icon_smile:

694spdRT

Quote from: Troy on August 09, 2005, 11:56:25 PM
Ok this needs to be posted in the Tech Archive if someone ever needs to know how to do a good restoration! :o

Troy

Maybe we just don't have any good Tech to archive yet?   ;)

Welcome to the Site!  :wave:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

911bear

:yesnod: :o Verrrrry cooooool!!!!  and welcome ....hmmmmmmmm  by the way keep the pics flowing our way!!!! :icon_smile_evil:
1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

Troy

Quote from: 694spdRT on August 10, 2005, 12:15:59 AM

Troy

Maybe we just don't have any good Tech to archive yet? ;)

Maybe not but I bet we've got more than enough already to fill up the "Useless Post Archive"... ;D

Troy

Starman417

Very nice!  Very cool color also, can't wait to see that 400 in the car.
http://www.starman417.net
Instagram - quags69charger

694spdRT

Quote from: Troy on August 10, 2005, 12:44:02 AM
Quote from: 694spdRT on August 10, 2005, 12:15:59 AM

Troy

Maybe we just don't have any good Tech to archive yet? ;)

Maybe not but I bet we've got more than enough already to fill up the "Useless Post Archive"... ;D

Troy

No arguments with you on that one.

BTW: Is this the secret to "flagrant" poster status. If you respond then I can respond back...neat how that works. JK

Sorry for the Hi-Jacked thread. I'm done now.    :icon_smile_wink:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Silver R/T

wow nice job on resto man, first post and so much information and pics, I just had to save them all for future reference. Welcome to the site, is that QQ1 paint code silver?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

:icon_smile_shock: Crimini! What a job you've done. There's no nook that hasn't been dealt with as far as I can tell. And that shop is nicer than my living room. You've got an Eagle lift, a Coke machine and a bathroom. There's nothing else a guy would need except maybe a 7-11 hot dog oven. I like how clean an organized you keep everything,

4402tuff4u

Wow!! very nice job and welcome aboard! I love that garage too! very neat and clean. Shelves for everything - easy to find and keep from being damaged. That's some lucky car.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

SuBLimE 69

WoW, Thats some great quality work !  I can't wait to see her when she is finished.  :drool5: The motor sounds like it going to be a beast too !  :drive:

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

rebby

Very very nice... I'd like to go w/a silver on my car as well and from your pics, that's exactly what I want. Care to share a few more details about exactly how the paint was done, what colors, etc?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

NorwayCharger

Quote from: gb70 on August 09, 2005, 10:30:51 PM
Here are some recent pics of my '68 Charger I am currently restoring back (my way).

GREAT JOB  ;D ;D
Silver paint is the THING ;)
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com