News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjusting rear ride height on a 2 Gen Charger

Started by Back N Black, November 03, 2015, 01:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I am thinking of ways to correct the side to side stagger at the rear of the car. With an extra leaf spring on the passenger's side, that side sits a little higher than the driver's side. I am due for new springs and I was thinking of ordering two passenger side springs to even out the rear. Has anyone done this?   :scratchchin:  :popcrn:

Ryan.C

Firm Feel sells their leaf springs sets even on each side for that reason.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Back N Black on November 03, 2015, 01:39:45 PM
I am thinking of ways to correct the side to side stagger at the rear of the car. With an extra leaf spring on the passenger's side, that side sits a little higher than the driver's side. I am due for new springs and I was thinking of ordering two passenger side springs to even out the rear. Has anyone done this?   :scratchchin:  :popcrn:
I'm going this route.

Quote from: Ryan.C on November 03, 2015, 04:47:41 PM
Firm Feel sells their leaf springs sets even on each side for that reason.
Good to know.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Same situation here. I got front rear spring brackets that have the 2 sets of holes...one higher hole for lowering the rear 1 inch. I installed drivers side normal and used the "lowering" higher hole on the pass. side. That took much of the noticeable stagger out.
  I've also a set of 3/4 lowering blocks from Mancini I might play around with once I decide on finished ride height settings. My springs are fairly new Mopar HD, (4 years.) some said theirs sagged over time but mine have not.  :scratchchin:
  While my car has good bones, solid underneath it spent at least 8 years as drag race only and was hammered hard. I think my car may have a bit of a twist to it from that pounding. (?) The difference side to side was quite a bit after changing springs and rebuilding the front with new Mopar (R/T) T. bars. 

myk

Hotchkis springs if you don't mind the price.  Quality pieces that give great handling and a good stance, IMO...

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on November 04, 2015, 04:46:29 AM
Hotchkis springs if you don't mind the price.  Quality pieces that give great handling and a good stance, IMO...

I heard Hotchkis springs lowers the rear 1-2"?
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

HPP

You can also adjust up the opposing torsion bar from the high side with the leaf. That's called adjusting the wedge if you ever watch any of the nascar boys.  This is a typical adjustment with SS spring packs. Not usually needed with XHD, but its possible.

Ordering two equal springs is another way to do it, but it does eliminate the bias springs design for absorbing torque. That's probably a bad idea if you bracket race at all where you will be loading that passenger spring heavily

Changing mounting holes and lowering blocks can accomplish the equalization, bet creates differences in roll center location from side to side. Not a drastic one, but it does change. Probably wouldn't notice it in normal driving  but it could create a difference in feel in a panic maneuver.

myk

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 04, 2015, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: myk on November 04, 2015, 04:46:29 AM

I heard Hotchkis springs lowers the rear 1-2"?

It's supposed to be 1 inch of a drop...

Kern Dog

When I was in my early 20s, Myself and several buddies had mid 70s Camaros. We all lowered our cars. One cheapskate simply put a huge chunk of concrete in the trunk. It lowered the car almost 3 inches.
I would advise against doing that.