News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake pedal does not come back up

Started by 440six, October 30, 2015, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440six

My brake pedal on my 1968 charger does not come back up after stoping car. It also stops abruptly when pressing on the brake. Ay idea what may be the cause of this? Thanks All.

ws23rt

Kern Dog

Rusty linkage.
My Brother in Law's 72 Duster sat for many years before we got it. It has rust in the trunk and lower quarters and sat for years with the windows partly open. the condensation left surface rust scale on every unpainted surface under the dash. The car was a 225 with a 3 speed stick. The clutch would stay on the floor. The brake pedal was stiff and also didn't like to return after releasing, even with a new master cylinder. We ended up changing the pedal setup and the problem went away.

Nwcharger

I had a similar issue a while back. removed the vacuum hose from the booster and the pedal returned just fine, but with vacuum aplied pedal would stay down for a while and brakes where very touchy. Replaced the booster and problem was gone.
1969 coronet wagon

A383Wing

you don't say if this is a manual or power brake car....

440six

A383Wing

I would say bad booster then...try the test above and see if it acts the same way

Nwcharger

Quote from: A383Wing on October 31, 2015, 10:43:49 AM
I would say bad booster then...try the test above and see if it acts the same way

:iagree:

If you test drive it just remember your pedal will be extremely hard so be prepared.
1969 coronet wagon