News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone here tried Hydroboost brake system before?

Started by ytcharger, October 15, 2015, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytcharger

Braking on the Charger has been a gremlin for me, especially since I installed the Edelbrock Performance kit and front brake disk kit. I tried the biggest vacuum booster and master cylinder but still had problem braking -- won't hold front brakes to do a burnout. My friend is a genius in making things work so he suggested we find a Mustang GT Hydroboost and covert it. Oh boy! it works great now. Unless you are a smart mechanic, this is not as simple as it looks.

After 5 years of working on it on and off, we finally got the following list done:
Edelbrock Performance RPM kit + Hydraulic Lifters
Headman Headers (took some cutting and welding to make it fit with the Edelbrock topend kit)
MSD Ignition/Coils/Distributor
Tires: P215 front / P275 rear
Front brake disks
New: water pump, alternator, thermostat, heater core & fan, radiator, starter, hoses (the old parts still work but replaced anyway)
Flow Master mufflers
Holley 900 CFM Carburetor
New: carpet, side mirror, door handles,
Modern Audio System: Kenwood Stereo, Alpine Speakers and Amps, Dual 12-in Kicker Subwoofer
Transmission Shiftkit
2400rpm Torque Converter
4:10 Rearend

And Finally, Mustang GT Hydroboost (you can see this setup is very compact)

Check the Youtube Video showing the brakes can hold a peeling out. I also noticed that I need to replace a tail lamp bulb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ovW1m36q4

Dino

A few members here run the direct bolt in hydro kit.  I'd go for it if I could afford it.  I thought about getting junkyard parts to keep cost down but I'm not sure it's worth it.  What all did you have to do to make it work and what's the approximate cost?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ytcharger

Quote from: Dino on October 15, 2015, 11:35:33 PM
A few members here run the direct bolt in hydro kit.  I'd go for it if I could afford it.  I thought about getting junkyard parts to keep cost down but I'm not sure it's worth it.  What all did you have to do to make it work and what's the approximate cost?

The issues are knowing what fittings to use since the charger has the oddball size. I found a good used hydroboost for $150 (may be $300 or more for a new one). Spent another $150 for lines, fittings, brake and steering fluids.
We had to do the following:
1. Machine a boss into the steering manifold to adopt a standard fitting.
2. Weld the old booster linkage to the hydroboost
3. Make a push rod that is the correct length (takes a couple tries to make it right)
4. Knowing what lines goes where and what fittings to use
5. Some drilling into the firewall to fit bolt pattern of the hydroboost (a bitch to remove booster and install hydroboost due to little room for tools and very awkward)
6. Remove all linkages from brake pedal the reassemble
7. Bleed the brakes and steering

I believe the labor involved was around 8 hrs (removing the old system, modify, install new system, some trial & error work)
A shop that knows what to do would charge you an arm an a leg to do this conversion (labor would be $500 to $1000)

What is a direct bolt on Hydroboost kit? I was not aware of it and how much is it and is it easy to install?

myk

There are universal kits for a wide range of generic applications. Some members here are using them.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Back N Black

Yatzee

I installed a hydro-boost system on my car that I bought at a local auto recycler. It was a complete unit off a '99 GMC 2500 pickup which had disk on the front and shoes outback, I took everything - pump, lines for reference, pedal arm, and cooler. The only issues I had were to thread the pushrod on the booster to make the length adjustable under the dash and fabricate an adapter bracket for the fire wall mounting. Much to my surprise, I did not have to change the brake pedal arm or pin location. I had a local hydraulic shop make up the high pressure lines which are actually fabricated using ORB fittings and one fitting from the original lines I purchased. These things will mount in any position and an be rotated 180 degrees for a clean look upon installation keeping in mind the master reservoir goes up. Best mod I ever did to my Plymouth and I would do it again should I purchase another car. Braking is easy and very positive and equally as capable as the system in my 2014 car. The entire system from the recycler cast me $100. Best part is that there is no vacuum required to run this type of braking unit which was important to me because of the wild cam I run in my stroker. I give this type of mod a 5 out of 5 and with a bit of research and talent anyone can claim success on installation. Difficulty: level 4 of 5.

myk

Quote from: Dino on October 16, 2015, 06:53:13 AM
Around $500-$600 but you still need the lines.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydroboost-Mopar-B-Body-NEW-SYSTEM-2014-HB-With-Black-MC-/251449688772?hash=item3a8b91c2c4:m:me_g1qBRU8bh5HQa7OL1zGg&vxp=mtr

I'd like to know what the Ramman charges.  

If all that kit needs is the lines I think that might be an attractive option.  I'm assuming custom lines to the steering pump?  Regardless, I think both of our links are attractive options for hydro boost...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

I think the lines are the only other thing yes.  I'd like to do this on the cheap but I am not willing to remove my dash or anything to start fabricting stuff either.  I think I've taken enough apart.   ;)

myk

Do you think you'd have to go as deep as the dash to install this stuff?

Dino

The one I linked no, it's a direct bolt in so it's the same as bolting my stock booster back in place.  Which is a pita to begin with.  But if I start with junkyard parts then I may have to do more adjustments and I'd like to limit my time under the dash.   :icon_smile_big:

Dino

ytcharger

Thanks for the input guys. I can see the bolt-on kit is not cheap. Be cautious about advertisement of bolt-on kit that may NOT be truely bolt-on. I would expect some mods still needed and some understanding of how they all work together to install properly. I really don't think there is a quick and easy bolt-on kit because different vehicles have different brake pedal travel (push rod length depends on this), line lengths and contours, and fittings. One of the vendors indicated it would take 4 hrs of labor but I really think you better add a few more hours to that.

For me, I bought a good used Mustang GT hydroboost with master cylinder and new lines and fitting that costs around $300.

The bottom line, who all done this and please share the experience and results (pics, videos).

WHITE AND RED 69

You might want to double check the psi rating on those fabric braided hoses. Most fabric braided hoses are not for use on high pressure power steering and will collapse. That is why all kits sold include steel braided hose.

I'm using the Reilly Motorsports kit on mine for the last 4 or so years and it has worked flawlessly. Their kit is well thought out and is tailored to 68-70 b bodies. Install was straight forward and took about 6 hours.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

ytcharger

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 16, 2015, 03:00:00 PM
You might want to double check the psi rating on those fabric braided hoses. Most fabric braided hoses are not for use on high pressure power steering and will collapse. That is why all kits sold include steel braided hose.

I'm using the Reilly Motorsports kit on mine for the last 4 or so years and it has worked flawlessly. Their kit is well thought out and is tailored to 68-70 b bodies. Install was straight forward and took about 6 hours.

The website shows almost $1300 for the kit.

myk

Lesson #1 in hot rodding: there is no such thing as a direct bolt in.  There will always be a bit of finagling or adjusting or whatever in order to get the aftermarket stuff to work with the factory stuff.  With that being said, I commend the OP for being able to scrounge up the correct pieces to get the system to work.  I will have to go the kit route, but I don't expect it to just drop in, either...

ytcharger

Quote from: myk on October 16, 2015, 05:52:47 PM
Lesson #1 in hot rodding: there is no such thing as a direct bolt in.  There will always be a bit of finagling or adjusting or whatever in order to get the aftermarket stuff to work with the factory stuff.  With that being said, I commend the OP for being able to scrounge up the correct pieces to get the system to work.  I will have to go the kit route, but I don't expect it to just drop in, either...

Which kit? The $1300 kit? Let us know how it turns out.

Dino

Can anyone explain to me the $570 difference between two kits that are supposedly complete?  I don't get it.

myk

Quote from: ytcharger on October 16, 2015, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: myk on October 16, 2015, 05:52:47 PM

Which kit? The $1300 kit? Let us know how it turns out.

I won't be doing hydro boost until my gauge cluster is sorted out, and I've decided between the Borgeson or Firm Feel steering box.  For what it is, my factory discs are adequate for now...

Rolling_Thunder

Did it years ago -   Chevy astro van booster, buddy owed me a favor so he scored one and rebuilt it for me. Ramcharger brake booster, fabbed a pushrod pedal. ordered a mounting bracket from Talon hydraulic - had Earl's lines made and bolted the bad boy in.

total investment was somewhere around $200....    the mounting bracket and the lines were the highest costing parts.

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

myk

1970Moparmann

Hydroost was the #1 best thing I did to my car!   :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

myk