News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seattle to Talladega and back

Started by hergfest, October 15, 2015, 02:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hergfest

I had Hot Passes for the race so I got to be on Pit Road.  Unfortunately it took forever to get to the "Secure Parking Lot" so we missed the 1st 10 laps of the race.  But still a really cool experience.
Kasey Kahne's Pit:

hergfest

We waited for traffic to clear out after the race then spent the night in Montgomery, AL.  Unfortunately the Daytona decided that they wanted to beat the traffic after the race to they left early, heading North.  The other two cars decided to head south.  The next morning we cruised down to Mobile to see the battleship Alabama.  We got caught up in the remnants of the hurricane and tropical moisture and hit some pretty bad rain.  The main drive to the battleship was closed due to water over the roadway so we went in the back way.  Unfortunately, there was also water there.  So what did we do?  We forded it.
The SuperSub:

500:

The Battleship complex was really cool.  They have an airplace museum and you can go on a WWII Submarine.

There is a walkway all around the ship and as you can see the sea was taking it back:

Here is some video I took just north of Mobile when we stopped for gas.  Ignore my stupid voice...haha
https://www.facebook.com/gary.hergert.9/videos/10203896893903193/

hergfest

Heading West we were going to do Bourbon Street in New Orleans but the lead car didn't make the turn so we ended up skipping it.  The next morning, Tuesday, we hit up Mopar Collectors Guide in Baton Rouge, LA.  Randy and Rob were both great and Rob took us out for lunch before we headed out.

hergfest

We only had one more destination we all wanted to hit before we went home and that was Carlsbad Caverns.  We scooted West making good time and staying in Abilene, TX, that night.  Made it to the Caverns around 1pm and it blew away my expectations.  You walk 850ft down into the earth.  And the best part is they have an elevator on the bottom to take you back out.  Totally worth the trip.

hergfest

We split from the 500 at this point.  They had to take Sean Machado back to Palm Desert and we wanted to get home.  Spent the 1st night in Alburquoque then Ontario, OR, the 2nd night getting home at 1pm on Friday.  Great trip and between the 3 cars zero breakdowns. 
More than half the cars at the reunion were trailered.  I challenge everyone who has a street wing car to drive them in 2019.  We just drove a 500, Daytona, and Superbird from Washington with zero breakdowns.  All three cars were road tested and sorted out before we left.  Its totally worth it, much more fun, and rewarding to be driving your old car.

Homerr

Wow!   ....and you have done a full wash of the underside after the foray in the water, right?!   :o

skip68

I love that picture of driving in the water.   Priceless memories. 
I just love seeing people actually drive their cars like they want to.  It's not abusing it, it's enjoying it to the fullest.    :2thumbs: :cheers: 
Thanks for sharing.    :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Nwcharger

Quote from: hergfest on October 31, 2015, 11:40:33 PM
We split from the 500 at this point.  They had to take Sean Machado back to Palm Desert and we wanted to get home.  Spent the 1st night in Alburquoque then Ontario, OR, the 2nd night getting home at 1pm on Friday.  Great trip and between the 3 cars zero breakdowns. 
More than half the cars at the reunion were trailered.  I challenge everyone who has a street wing car to drive them in 2019.  We just drove a 500, Daytona, and Superbird from Washington with zero breakdowns.  All three cars were road tested and sorted out before we left.  Its totally worth it, much more fun, and rewarding to be driving your old car.

When the 2019 meet comes around we need to get together and I'll join the northwest aero car convoy. Would like to have the Daytona on the road by then. If not the 500 will be for sure.  :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

daytonalo

djcarguy

MORE PIX ??  Sorry    an how miles did ya guys log on this trip??  :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

hergfest

More pics on the reunion facebook page.  It was over 6,300 miles Round Trip.