News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caburetor choices for 383 mild build

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 08, 2015, 01:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

My Holly 770 Street Avenger is giving me problems. I've been using it for about 15 years. I think it needs a rebuild.
I would like to try something else, and smaller since I have never taken the car to the track.
The car is 71 charger 383, hydraulic moderate cam higher then stock, street avenger intake, 1.75 primary heads with 3.55 gears.

I've just been totally out of the loop for a while. Any new equipment carb choices out there?

303 Mopar

I would suggest Proform 750.  These are easy to tune, perform excellent, and are still reasonably priced.  Google them for the lowest price, but Summit/Jegs/Mancini all have them.

http://www.proformparts.com/product-exec/product_id/878/nm/PROFORM_reg_STREET_SERIES_CARBURETOR_b_750_CFM_b_MECHANICAL_SECONDARY/category_id/182
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks looking at them now. I heard there is a new carb that doesnt require much fuss in tuning, maybe proform is it. I can adjust idle screws and such but not great at jetting and power valves.

myk

Are you refering to the Edelbrock 'carbs?  But they're hardly new.  Edelbrock 'carbs are very easy to mess with.  All you're dealing with are step up springs, metering rods and jets, and only the jets require disassembly of the 'carb.  However, keep in mind that if your car requires a specific fuel curve and level of adjustability, the Edelbrock won't cut it.  There are plenty of users, some on here, that are looking to ditch their 'Eddy's and move onto another type of 'carb...

Dino

Street driven 383?  Street Demon 650 with polymer body.  Have heard nothing but praise on these.  I'm going to bolt the 750 to my 440.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

Base model 650 holley. 4777 mechanical secondary or vacuum equivalant model.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks everyone, I have an Eddy 750 on another car, its been great. I'm interested to know why they suggestions for 650, I was tending toward that myself as I think the 770 may actually be hurting my performance.
BTW I'd love a Demon, just for the name.

Dino

The stock carb on a 383 has something like 625 cfm.  Unless you ride that car hard into the top rpm range and it is starving for air, you don't need to go bigger.  I like spreadbore carbs as the smaller primaries give you crisper throttle response and better economy, while the larger secondaries give you the oomph when you want it.  I'm a big fan of a well-tuned Thermoquad.  I was floored when I bolted on my rebuilt TQ after running an Eddy 750.  Throttle response was amazing and at wot it screamed.  I think the Holleys and Proforms are great carbs with a ton of potential but for a hop in and go driver like mine I think a spreadbore like the Demon is the best choice.  I do not wish to tinker with it once it's setup.  This will hopefully be my last carb before I switch to efi.

c00nhunterjoe

A stock or very mild 383 on stock lower compression needs no more then a 650. I run a 750 on mine but im not stock.
Fwiw to dino, my holley is... 10 years old i think.... and i do not ever have to tinker with it. As a matter of fact, my 248@ .050 cam fires right up in the dead of winter and the carb doesnt even have a choke plate.

AmadeusCharger500

My cam is 228@.50. Seems I've been overcarb size for about 13 years. Ran great but lousy fuel mileage and now I have a definite reason to try something else.

I'm really liking This street Demon 625.

https://www.demoncarbs.com/1901BK.asp

Dino

Joe I didn't make myself clear.  I didn't mean to imply that you have to tinker with a Holley, I meant to imply that I don't need the tuning capabilities the Holleys and Proforms offer.  For my car those carbs would work fine without a doubt, but they might be overkill.   

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on October 09, 2015, 06:34:00 PM
My cam is 228@.50. Seems I've been overcarb size for about 13 years. Ran great but lousy fuel mileage and now I have a definite reason to try something else.

Yup that one is very nice.   :yesnod:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Dino on October 09, 2015, 07:39:39 PM
Joe I didn't make myself clear.  I didn't mean to imply that you have to tinker with a Holley, I meant to imply that I don't need the tuning capabilities the Holleys and Proforms offer.  For my car those carbs would work fine without a doubt, but they might be overkill.   

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on October 09, 2015, 06:34:00 PM

Yup that one is very nice.   :yesnod:

:cheers:

pipeliner

I was always told for a rule of thumb to multiple how much horsepower you think you'll have to cfm. Hp x 1.4 cfm. So if your car has 375 horsepower  you should run something close to a 525 cfm carb but I really don't understand how that really works because that just really seems to small for me. The build I'm doing calls for a 750 but Im going to run a 850.

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE