News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to pickup a 1971 Charger Superbee

Started by velrob, October 07, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

velrob

I am looking to get my first classic.   I'm a fan of Mopar.  1971 Dodge Charger Supebee with a 383 matching motor.

I found a local vehicle in Canada going for around $4k CDN ($3100 USD roughly).   Is it a good deal?

Is it difficult to find parts for this vehicle?

Which years would parts be interchangeable if any?

If I did pickup the car I was thinking of changing the font lights to drop down style if possible?

Thanks for any replies.

6spd68

If you have the skills/money needed to restore that car; it looks like it could be fun!  :2thumbs:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

70 sublime

I saw that ad also but the price is different because it says they are asking $7500

Think I would want to make sure frame is good first

This is from the ad (not mine)

Have a complete running and driving 1971 Dodge Charger Superbee available for sale.

Car is a numbers matching 383 V8 auto in good running shape. All parts are still on the car, good floors.

This is a true superbee with the slapstick shifter, has upgraded ignition and holly 4 barrel carb.
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

71 and 72 Charger stuff is the same and 73 and 74 is the same (front suspension ride on rubber doughnuts)
Some of the 71 to 74 stuff will exchange

Nacho-RT74

what is worthly on the car is the matching drivetrain, because the conditions and lack of parts would tell the oposite.

Original brown parts won't be easy. ALTHOUG AT LEAST you are saving money on the good conditions dash pad and seat back panels. Upper panels will be hard to find. Repro lower panels are not great pieces and will be painted anyway from seller. Seat Covers are available repor good quality from  Legendary Auto Interiors

Doors are correct, hood seems to be the correct one BUT that scoop... dam, superbee hood insert won't be easy. Superbee dash emblem won't be easy too.

Quarter panels WERE available from AMD, HOWEVER I think they stopped the production of those. Sidemarkers I think are available too from the repro market.

grilles and tail ligths are not available repro, but thanks God, the car got them. Parking light lenses are available.

Mechanical parts are available all around. Not big deal.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

as mentioned, 71/72s are practically twins, 73/74 are just brothers with 71s. Nothing from the suspension will be a straight change, and the front unibody section is totally diff. Just around 60% of the sheetmetal interchanges without mods

AND welcome
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

CDN72SE

Saw that ad as well, he's in Milton I'm in Milton, maybe I could go take a look. Think he may be selling it on behalf of the actual owner, it may be a car that I had been told about in a casual conversation while looking for someone to do paint and body work on my 72.
1972 Charger SE

velrob

He's bringing it over to my place to take a look at more closely.  I've been there already but the floor was all mud so we couldn't get underneath.     He will trailer it to my place so I can lift it on my hoist.

Thanks for all the replies.  So it seems many parts will be tough to find :)

Hopefully I can repair most of the stuff on there with patience :)

To bad they dont have the original hood as yea the previous owner changed it.     I told him $7500 was way to much and I could get something already done for around 13-15k.

Since we and a friend will be doing most of the work it may be worthwhile.

polywideblock

nice project   :cheers: :2thumbs:

what does the underside of the hood look like ? could they have slapped that thing over the  original hood with the insert removed  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Bandit72

I've got a really nice set of 71 SE upper door panels I'd sell. They wouldn't be 100% correct but I think they look better than the standard panels.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 08, 2015, 01:12:32 AM
nice project   :cheers: :2thumbs:

what does the underside of the hood look like ? could they have slapped that thing over the  original hood with the insert removed  :scratchchin:

Im taking a look at it tomorrow.  Im praying they put a different insert on top of the original.   Looks like whoever put that scoop did a bondo job all over and its peeling off.

I forgot I had a picture of underside the hood.  Does it look like the original ? (praying it is)

one side mirror is missing and part of the dash is missing  (im hoping he has all of those also)

polywideblock

are those the mounting tabs for the insert I see   :scope:  looks like the bee hood with that scoop slapped over the top  :yesnod:
   if your lucky they just molded (bondoed) it on there, looks like it will come right off  maybe a few screw holes to fix  :scratchchin:

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 08, 2015, 11:47:41 AM

are those the mounting tabs for the insert I see   :scope:  looks like the bee hood with that scoop slapped over the top  :yesnod:
   if your lucky they just molded (bondoed) it on there, looks like it will come right off  maybe a few screw holes to fix  :scratchchin:

That would be AWESOME!  Lets to hunt for.

Will it be difficult to find the missing dash part? I think it comes with a superbee emblem from factory, does it not?

JB400

That part is generic for a 71-74 Charger.  I don't know about emblems.  The emblems maybe swappable.

velrob

Quote from: JB400 on October 08, 2015, 03:09:18 PM
That part is generic for a 71-74 Charger.  I don't know about emblems.  The emblems maybe swappable.

Ah ok then hopefully wouldn't be to hard to locate one.  Ill find out tomorrow if the owner still has it or not.

Im very excited to start on this project.    But after this I'm sure ill add others to my collection   ;D

Whats the best place to have chrome refinished?     Im guessing itll be cheaper to refinish than buy repro? If they even sell repro.

I'm looking for some aftermarket seats as well and keep the originals for another day.

birdsandbees

Well if you get going on this and get the hood back to stock, I have a pair of stick on Superbee badges for each side of the hood bump that I acquired in 1979 !
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

velrob

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 08, 2015, 04:04:36 PM
Well if you get going on this and get the hood back to stock, I have a pair of stick on Superbee badges for each side of the hood bump that I acquired in 1979 !

Tomorrow I will find out if its 100% or not.

Im just praying the frame and underbody is decent or back to searching.

If it looks good ill be hauling it back same day.

polywideblock

should ask if he still has the super bee  insert  for the hood    :yesnod:   doesn't hurt to ask   :Twocents:

VegasCharger

Hello and welcome :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If the frames are good I say go for it :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I have a good wood grain pass. side dash vent panel but not with the "Super Bee" name plate.

Good luck and I hope it turns out good for you upon inspection.

velrob

Quote from: polywideblock on October 08, 2015, 11:37:55 PM
should ask if he still has the super bee  insert  for the hood    :yesnod:   doesn't hurt to ask   :Twocents:

good idea

the actual owner will be there as the guy I spoke to last time was just storing it for him.

crossing my fingers.

billssuperbird

If you get the car and don't want the steering wheel I take off your hands good luck love the 70s

FJ6N96

I might be able to assist you with some of the parts required.  Don't let the fact that it's a one year only car scare you there are a lot of parts still available.  Feel free to contact me.

Is the fender tag available?

I've owned mine for 30 years and know it inside and out.  I have some parts laying around that you might be able to use.  Side marker lights and bezels, some of the gaskets for the heater box, stuff like that.

http://www.71superbee.com/Rick_Stump/

Rick

velrob

I bought the car.    It will be sent to me around 4pm.

Damn he doenst have the original hood  :'(

It seems the hood is stock but the superbee scoop is no longer.    Hopefully I can find it to change up.

I think the vehicle did have the fender tag I forgot to take a picture.

The tranny/gears appear be original.   The rear seems to be flared.  Is that stock ?   

The bottom looks good.    Floor look good.

Started up no problems ran beautiful once it had clean gas.

Ya I won't be using that steering wheel because as far as im aware its illegal here to use that??

Once i begin to disassemble everything I will see what will need replacing.    I will need new bumpers.   

He no longer has the insert for the dash.